What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Eelementary

Post Whore
To me it comes down to the fact we played probably the best NRL side in history and they were on-song that day.

We may as well not have been bothered to show up, then?

As good as they are, if you go into an important game like that with that attitude, the game is over before a ball is even kicked in anger.

And we had beaten that team previously - it wasn't beyond our ability to do so on Grand Final day.

Come the Grand Final, Penrith were a well-rounded machine, and after 5 minutes, we were gassed.

I'd wager that the coach should bear responsibility for the team's preparation, and conditioning, heading into the game...

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
We may as well not have been bothered to show up, then?

As good as they are, if you go into an important game like that with that attitude, the game is over before a ball is even kicked in anger.

And we had beaten that team previously - it wasn't beyond our ability to do so on Grand Final day.

Come the Grand Final, Penrith were a well-rounded machine, and after 5 minutes, we were gassed.

I'd wager that the coach should bear responsibility for the team's preparation, and conditioning, heading into the game...
Yeah I get what you’re saying but it’s the way it goes for mine. Penrith were basically flawless that game. TBH 2009 and certainly 2001 hurt me a lot more.

Avenger

Immortal
I was a little kid and didn't give a shit. I thought of Parra like I think of the Storm/Roosters/Panthers now. How could you get excited about such a team? It'd be like supporting Bayern Munich.

In fact I didn't start caring about the Eels until about 1991.
We came second last that year but more importantly came the birth of turd polishing.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I thought we went blow-for-blow with them in the opening 5 minutes.

After that, fatigue set in, and they went up a few gears, and left us in their wake.
When a team is tired their opposition always looks like it goes up a few gears. Look at us in the second half tonight. We rolled through them because they let us. There were no extra gears, just one team dying in the arse.

Pazza

First Grade
When a team is tired their opposition always looks like it goes up a few gears. Look at us in the second half tonight. We rolled through them because they let us. There were no extra gears, just one team dying in the arse.

You build the foundation then you capitalise.

It's like a boxing match you go to the body over and over again to set up the knock out left hook

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

I saw that guy in you avatar in the crowd last night. You know him ?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You build the foundation then you capitalise.

It's like a boxing match you go to the body over and over again to set up the knock out left hook
Agreed. Especially early in the game the goal is to complete sets and force the opposition to make tackles. Short kicks keep aggressive edge defenders honest while runs through the ruck (including from dummy half) keep the middle defenders from pushing across hard in cover.

Legal Eel

Juniors
I was a little kid and didn't give a shit. I thought of Parra like I think of the Storm/Roosters/Panthers now. How could you get excited about such a team? It'd be like supporting Bayern Munich.

In fact I didn't start caring about the Eels until about 1991.
So curious

You only started supporting the Eels at a period of peak Plod?

I think after hearing your comments that its not a bridge too far to suggest that a premiership since then may have seen you jump ship....probably reveals why you are such a dogged defender of the present plodder of a coach.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Hey LE. Were you the guy interviewed at the game talking up the kids and which club ware you involved with? I noticed lots of girls in the walk a round.

JokerEel

Coach
He also said Asi didn't get rewarded with a first grade spot when Moses went down as he wasn't playing well and didn't want to reward him for that. Had to work on things before getting brought up.
That's good to hear actually. Wish they asked about Sivo!

Latest posts