What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 v Roosters Anzac Day

maestro1

Bench
Robinson had a major whinge about the referee, so i dont expect any favours to come our way on Thursday especially the 50/50 calls.

Watch the bunker get involved with the new rule that has only been applied about 5 times this year and 3 of them was against us... I call it the "Dragons" rule. The bunker calls it the "Downtown" Rule.

Other bunker involvement will be with Captains Challenges......Ours will be unsuccessful if 50/50. Theirs will be successful if 50/50. After we lose our challenge, the on field ref will make shit calls against us knowing we have already controversially lost our challenge. Any tries they scored will be sent up as a try straight away and there won't be enough video evidence to overturn the on field decision. Any tries we scored will be sent up as no try and there won't be enough evidence to overturn the on field decision.

Any near head shot from players like FMolo and Rav will be treated with instant penalty possible binning. Especially if it is against Teddy the untouchable. No responsibility placed on Teddy who has conveniently developed a well timed lowering of his body at the precise time of contact so his team receives a penalty. Of course Rav or FMolo will receive 2 match suspension from MRC.

If they do a head shot, it will be missed and no penalty given with a possibility of being placed on report in the next stoppage of play. But Dragons never recieving a penalty for on report infringement. Of course the match review committee (led by Dragon hater Luke Patton) will only fine infringing Roosters player.

Oh..... . .and I didn't mention the 6 agains.

Notice how all these new rules are so very easily applied or not applied with way to much discretion from the match officials. It is game management 101 and it is easy to hide the NRLs cheating game management style. And the ones that they get really wrong will be "Graham Anneslied" on Monday.

Dragon David

First Grade
Watch the bunker get involved with the new rule that has only been applied about 5 times this year and 3 of them was against us... I call it the "Dragons" rule. The bunker calls it the "Downtown" Rule.

Other bunker involvement will be with Captains Challenges......Ours will be unsuccessful if 50/50. Theirs will be successful if 50/50. After we lose our challenge, the on field ref will make shit calls against us knowing we have already controversially lost our challenge. Any tries they scored will be sent up as a try straight away and there won't be enough video evidence to overturn the on field decision. Any tries we scored will be sent up as no try and there won't be enough evidence to overturn the on field decision.

Any near head shot from players like FMolo and Rav will be treated with instant penalty possible binning. Especially if it is against Teddy the untouchable. No responsibility placed on Teddy who has conveniently developed a well timed lowering of his body at the precise time of contact so his team receives a penalty. Of course Rav or FMolo will receive 2 match suspension from MRC.

If they do a head shot, it will be missed and no penalty given with a possibility of being placed on report in the next stoppage of play. But Dragons never recieving a penalty for on report infringement. Of course the match review committee (led by Dragon hater Luke Patton) will only fine infringing Roosters player.

Notice how all these new rules are so very easily applied or not applied with way to much discretion from the match officials. It is game management 101 and it is easy to hide the NRLs cheating game management style. And the ones that they get really wrong will be "Graham Anneslied" on Monday.
You make it sound like we are not liked by the officials maestro1. Haha! I agree with what you said and that Dragons Rule will definitely closely watched by whomever is the ref - which is by the way?

Draginzaaar

Bench

So we haven't learnt to not go downtown? Liddle was warned by the ref and he still went. Ref's fault?

maestro1

Bench
So we haven't learnt to not go downtown? Liddle was warned by the ref and he still went. Ref's fault?

I never said we didn't infringe. Yes, Liddle shouldn't have given them the opportunity to penalise us.

I am discussing it's application. Discretion is being heavily applied. Every game, every week, the "Dragons" rule can be applied. It hasn't been, except for us and a couple of other games. You seem to be reading without picking up on the message in the post.

maestro1

Bench
There are 17 other teams. Approx. 5 "Dragon's"rule penalties in 8 games x 7 rnds = 56 games so far in 2024. Multiply that by 80 mins. Three of those have been against Dragons. We have been pinged for just over 50% of penalties for this rule. So the other 16 teams share the other 2 times. The probability of no other team getting this wrong is staggering and quite impossible. I'm happy to be pinged if we do it, as long as every other team does as well. Use it evenly or not at all.

What is really worrying is the timing of the use. All 3 have happened at a crucial time of the game where we had momentum and that momentum quickly swung away.

I believe it is being used for game management.

Discretion is being heavily applied.
that my biggest issue with the "6 again"

Field position and application of discretion can be easily manipulated. Additionally, the same discretionary 'offence' receives varying penalties dependent upon the tackle count.

Then the '6 again' stats at the end of a games give the incorrect appearance of being applied evenly.

maestro1

Bench
Yes.... If you each get five 6-agains, but yours are on tackle 1 or 2, there isn't a lot of benefit.
If theirs are on tackle 4 or 5, massive benefit.
The other pattern is when you get them, i.e, if the opposition get them early and this helps them get the scoreboard ticking over early. We haven't been resilient enough to overcythis good early start by the opposition and then the game is lost and unretrievable and then you get 3 or 4 "six agains". These are useless to your success in that game. So many times in 2023, we didn't see a six again until 60 minutes into a game. I seem to remember Ryan Carr mentioning this in one of his Pressers last season.

jeffdragon

Bench
Yes.... If you each get five 6-agains, but yours are on tackle 1 or 2, there isn't a lot of benefit.
If theirs are on tackle 4 or 5, massive benefit.
The other pattern is when you get them, i.e, if the opposition get them early and this helps them get the scoreboard ticking over early. We haven't been resilient enough to overcythis good early start by the opposition and then the game is lost and unretrievable and then you get 3 or 4 "six agains". These are useless to your success in that game. So many times in 2023, we didn't see a six again until 60 minutes into a game. I seem to remember Ryan Carr mentioning this in one of his Pressers last season.
We see how many we get close to the Chooks line knowing they give away a few
See how our attack goes against their defence.
I will be searching for the match officials come team list Tuesdays.

justadragon

Bench
I'm not saying for one instant that we win this game but what impressed me the most against the Warriors was there was no excuses, our defence was great and we took our opportunities when they were presented. That is what will hold us in good stead in this game, its the fact of knowing you can do it and for 80 mins. No doubt the Roosters right now would be devising a way to counter our aerial attack, but we have other ways to score as well. To me as long as we hold our line, make our tackles and minimise the mistakes we will be in with a show. The team selection will be interesting on Tuesday, I really dont know what to think there, I know most on here will be upset if Bird is in, but i cant praise Flanno and the rest of the coaches one week and bag them the next, whatever they decide I will have to support. We have now won as many games as we did last year, we even won 2 away games, totally unheard of last year. The little bit of belief for me is coming back especially in the Anzac game, either way if we have a damn good game I will be impressed, I'm expecting more twists and turns for the rest of this season, I know I'll be disappointed and happy, but hey its better than being totally sad for the majority of the last 10-12 years.

justadragon

Bench
I never said we didn't infringe. Yes, Liddle shouldn't have given them the opportunity to penalise us.

I am discussing it's application. Discretion is being heavily applied. Every game, every week, the "Dragons" rule can be applied. It hasn't been, except for us and a couple of other games. You seem to be reading without picking up on the message in the post.
You can add the Disrupter rule to that, you will hear a lot more conjecture over this rule and its totally applicable to what the ref may or may not see, if a team has already lost its challenge then they are in trouble with this rule, have a look at the sharks game yesterday, totally laughable.

maestro1

Bench
I'm not saying for one instant that we win this game but what impressed me the most against the Warriors was there was no excuses, our defence was great and we took our opportunities when they were presented. That is what will hold us in good stead in this game, its the fact of knowing you can do it and for 80 mins. No doubt the Roosters right now would be devising a way to counter our aerial attack, but we have other ways to score as well. To me as long as we hold our line, make our tackles and minimise the mistakes we will be in with a show. The team selection will be interesting on Tuesday, I really dont know what to think there, I know most on here will be upset if Bird is in, but i cant praise Flanno and the rest of the coaches one week and bag them the next, whatever they decide I will have to support. We have now won as many games as we did last year, we even won 2 away games, totally unheard of last year. The little bit of belief for me is coming back especially in the Anzac game, either way if we have a damn good game I will be impressed, I'm expecting more twists and turns for the rest of this season, I know I'll be disappointed and happy, but hey its better than being totally sad for the majority of the last 10-12 years.

The roosters are in the top 2 teams under the high ball in attack (especially )with Teddy, Tupou, Suiaili and Manu all extremely capable.

Lovemedragons

Juniors

I was so pleased to see Hunt signal to Liddle to use his head after this penalty was given - and that we subsequently held strong against the attempted change of momentum. In the past we drop the dummy, Hunt drops the dummy - on Friday they copped it, accepted it was their stupid mistake and then tackled until they got the ball back. Thats the way to deal with ref interventions, great signs.

Gomarchin

Juniors
I was so pleased to see Hunt signal to Liddle to use his head after this penalty was given - and that we subsequently held strong against the attempted change of momentum. In the past we drop the dummy, Hunt drops the dummy - on Friday they copped it, accepted it was their stupid mistake and then tackled until they got the ball back. Thats the way to deal with ref interventions, great signs.
Loved it and haven't seen this from Hunt since he joined us in 2018.

Reminded me of Hornby doing something similar to Mitch Rein :)

denis preston

First Grade

I thought I saw Hunt nearly do a “ Hornby” when looking at Liddell after the penalty was given!

BLM01

First Grade
Justa I think we need to win 1 more to be on par with last year and only let our F &A blow out another 100 by year end to be fair to Hook and I’m Hornby

BLM01

First Grade
There are 17 other teams. Approx. 5 "Dragon's"rule penalties in 8 games x 7 rnds = 56 games so far in 2024. Multiply that by 80 mins. Three of those have been against Dragons. We have been pinged for just over 50% of penalties for this rule. So the other 16 teams share the other 2 times. The probability of no other team getting this wrong is staggering and quite impossible. I'm happy to be pinged if we do it, as long as every other team does as well. Use it evenly or not at all.

What is really worrying is the timing of the use. All 3 have happened at a crucial time of the game where we had momentum and that momentum quickly swung away.

I believe it is being used for game management.
Well if Dragons have not got the message yet that they are being watched more closely because obviously we were major contributors to why this rule came in
It happens you know no different to JWH and Radley scrutinised harder than others as repeat offenders

This Year?

Immortal
He wasn't even downtown. I'm amazed how someone was was at dummy half could be in front of the play of the ball.
Check from 1 hour and 1 minute into the video on the match replay on nrl.com.
He was in front of Hunt when he kicked it though, so maybe the dickheads at Fox got it wrong or maybe its another stupid rule that I don't understand
*edit* I just checked again and yeah it's correct but you'd have to be watching like a hawk to notice it

Last edited:

Latest posts