What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Gronk

Staff member
^^^^ Rothfield believes the performance shows that Arthur has lost the playing group.

The old "He's lost the dressing room".

I think he's lost the fans, but it's a stretch to say the dressing room.

I bet 5 people will now come up with reasons to show how he has. o_O

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Rightly so the media is asking questions of BA and our poor form. Additionally now our flegg/NSW cup form is being questioned.

Obviously there is things we need to do better structurally and performance wise (another debate)

But how good is having our board structure in place and the chair basically telling Buzz, to piss off and we make decisions in our time frames!

Under the old structure it wouId be a shit show right now!! Fractions leaking to the media etc etc!

Hell of a lot more professional than what it was!

Additionally for all the complaining about our cap/squad, if we do have a new coach for 2025, he pretty much has the ability to overhaul the squad within 12 months. Rather than the shit show, dogs, tigers and dragons had with their cap/contacts. Yeah our back depth is poor but at least we haven’t blown up our cap!!

I expect the board will review the coaching situation after the end of the season. As they should not during the season! Replacing a coach mid year rarely works. Plus still a lot of footy to be played. We have been in this situation before.

Anyhow I predict if we fail to make the finals BA will walk!

Gronk

Staff member
Rightly so the media is asking questions of BA and our poor form. Additionally now our flegg/NSW cup form is being questioned.

Obviously there is things we need to do better structurally and performance wise (another debate)

But how good is having our board structure in place and the chair basically telling Buzz, to piss off and we make decisions in our time frames!

Under the old structure it wouId be a shit show right now!! Fractions leaking to the media etc etc!

Hell of a lot more professional than what it was!

Additionally for all the complaining about our cap/squad, if we do have a new coach for 2025, he pretty much has the ability to overhaul the squad within 12 months. Rather than the shit show, dogs, tigers and dragons had with their cap/contacts. Yeah our back depth is poor but at least we haven’t blown up our cap!!

I expect the board will review the coaching situation after the end of the season. As they should not during the season!
Agree
I expect the board will review the coaching situation after the end of the season. As they should not during the season!

Anyhow I predict if we fail to make the finals BA will walk!
No, if the board holds a meeting soon to discuss the team performances and if getting a new coach is potentially an option, then they should explore timelines of availability now. Not wait until October and have to appoint a assistant coach or an unemployed coach because they failed to strike whilst the best option was available. That's their job.

If they decide now ish that the coach should see out his contract, then it is moot. So the only options are a) BA to see out his contract or b) Barrett to interim, Bennett to coach in 2025. I personally think that Barrett and Bennett should work together as a 2027 plan, but that's up to Dirty Harry to decide.

Clint Eastwood Coffee GIF

yy_cheng

Coach
Agree

No, if the board holds a meeting soon to discuss the team performances and if getting a new coach is potentially an option, then they should explore timelines of availability now. Not wait until October and have to appoint a assistant coach or an unemployed coach because they failed to strike whilst the best option was available. That's their job.

If they decide now ish that the coach should see out his contract, then it is moot. So the only options are a) BA to see out his contract or b) Barrett to interim, Bennett to coach in 2025. I personally think that Barrett and Bennett should work together as a 2027 plan, but that's up to Dirty Harry to decide.

Do you think BA would walk? I actually think that if that's what is good for the club, he would.

Barrett is interesting. Back last year, BA said he will let Barrett take control of the attack and we started using set plays from scrums and on the 5th with Dyl or Moses running to the other side of the field to link up with his other half etc.

However, either coach forgot to then get the team to also focus on defense or the team was so excited about attacking that they lost too many games. BA then took over the reins and went back to BA ball.

I wonder how Bennett would've approached it

emjaycee

Coach
Somehow I don't think anyone should get their hopes up about a Bennett coached Eels anytime in the forseeable future - the club won't be going down that path.

For me we need a roster reset, and not a total rebuild. There are definitely some players that need to be moved on (not renewed) and we need to focus on getting some decent outside backs in as soon as possible. I reckon we could lose 3 or 4 from our current FG team and that would be a reset that would see us back and competitive. BA shouldnt be here for the reset.

Our pathways are going a lot better than they have in years, it's just not an instant fix. R. Penisini, AMS, Blaize, Guymer, Marthur should all end up as NRL Eels it just takes time for these young guys to come through.

Gronk

Staff member
Somehow I don't think anyone should get their hopes up about a Bennett coached Eels anytime in the forseeable future - the club won't be going down that path.

For me we need a roster reset, and not a total rebuild. There are definitely some players that need to be moved on (not renewed) and we need to focus on getting some decent outside backs in as soon as possible. I reckon we could lose 3 or 4 from our current FG team and that would be a reset that would see us back and competitive. BA shouldnt be here for the reset.

Our pathways are going a lot better than they have in years, it's just not an instant fix. R. Penisini, AMS, Blaize, Guymer, Marthur should all end up as NRL Eels it just takes time for these young guys to come through.
OK, I thought it was reported that he was open or even keen.

Bugger.

Otherwise ^^^ agree.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Agree

Yes! I meant more anything officially. They can talk all they want behind closed doors. Additionally I wasn’t clear, I meant more the end of our season, more like when we are out of contention if that’s the case. So by July they wouId have a good indication how our season will pan out.

also don’t reckon appointment of a new coach is to long of a progress, reckon you could easily do it in 3-4 weeks.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Reckon we are as good of a chance of getting Bennett as any other club if that is the path we decide on.

Looks like Bennett wants to coach again, so his only real options as this stage are South’s , Knights or Eels.

Knights didn’t end well last time. South’s is obviously a good chance, but will they go down that path? And is their roster good enough?

Than the eels. His options are pretty limited at this stage

Gazzamatta

Coach
Yes! I meant more anything officially. They can talk all they want behind closed doors. Additionally I wasn’t clear, I meant more the end of our season, more like when we are out of contention if that’s the case. So by July they wouId have a good indication how our season will pan out.

also don’t reckon appointment of a new coach is to long of a progress, reckon you could easily do it in 3-4 weeks.
It took us a year to re sign Gutho and Moses. I dont reckon our club could boil 1 minute noodles in 3 or 4 weeks.

Latest posts