What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst Parra team of all time

The Eel

Juniors
Hi all

I was lying in bed the other night, and I got to thinking that it might be an interesting exercise to name our worst Eels team of all time, the players who have shown potential and not made it, or ones that just haven't cut the mustard.

I go back a few more years than most of you, and I will try and keep my team as recent as possible, but here is my side.

Fullback: Glen Couglan - a guy from NZ rugby, who a certain official said would be the next Ken Thornett. He didn't even last the season

Wingers: Lee Odenryn and Michael Erricson - Lee could run, but that was about all. Mick had potential, but didn't show it IMO.

Centres: Robert Muchmore and Paul Carige - Enough said about these blokes I reckon.

Five eight - Brett Scott - A ball hog

Half back - Ben Kusto - See centres

Lock: Daniel Wagon - Over rated IMO and doesn't pass the ball.

2nd rowers: Chris Phelan and Lew Platz - These blokes were from QLd and rep players, but they did nothing for me.

Props: Rod Slater and Jim Stafford - These two guys could have been stars if not for injuries. Slater was a goal kicker and could have been a good player, and Stafford was from Brothers in Brisbane who kept tearing his arcilles.

Hooker: I would have to go for a bloke called Ernie Garland here, who played for Easts and Wests before he came to us. Honourable mention to Kevin Webb, who I believe is Stuart Webb's father.

Reserves: Mark Laurie, Michael Pattison, David Woods and Greg Drake.

Well, there is my team, over to you guys. I will be interested to hear your names.

Suitman

Post Whore
No chance Mark Laurie and Mick Pattison should be named in a side of this description..
Better re-visit your interchange bench I reckon.

Suity

The Eel

Juniors
Understandable mate, as I said, I probably go back a lot longer than most of you, but I thought it would give you all an insight into some of the players in the "dark era" and give you all an opportunity to name your sides if you want to. I just thought it might be fun.

Sterling

Juniors
Suitman said:
No chance Mark Laurie and Mick Pattison should be named in a side of this description..
Better re-visit your interchange bench I reckon.

Suity

my thoughts exactly

The Eel

Juniors
Suitman, the only reason I put Patto in there was because of injury. Kept breaking his collarbone, the poor guy. Could have been anything.

Suitman

Post Whore
Yeh, it can be fun, but not with names of that quality.

Laurie and Pattison weren't brilliant, but they were quality players.
I wish we had them now. Actually, at times, Pattison COULD be brilliant.

I'm just saying that there could be a lot worse on your interchange bench.

Suity

Eelementary

Post Whore
OK, I've only got a short knowledge of the Eels and League in general being a noob and all, but...

Surely we've had worse locks than a former Queensland rep in Daniel Wagon? Surely!

Morenito

Juniors
Ohh geez where do i start.

Andrew McFu*kUp

Kicked the ball when he should have passed. Passed the ball when he should have kicked. Dropped the ball when he should have caught it.

Watching our number 7 in 2002 gave me nightmares that year!

WA Eel

Juniors
Why are we dwelling on such negativity on the eve of what should be a very promising season??

shaun

Juniors
Heres a few others that could make team:
Vince Fawcett- pommy centre who did nothing
Brian Jackson- looked like sterlo
Tony Cosatto- Had huge wraps at schoolboy level but had ++ injuries
David Baysarri- see cosatto
Stu Galbraith- average half

Im sure there are loads more as we had some really average players in early 90's.

I rated David Woods. Maybe if not for injuries he may have played rep. I was excited when crnkovich, g.liddiard, woods , bell, penna and co all came through junior reps in late 80's, early 90's. But history will show we were crap. Had crappy forward pack.

PB

Bench
If premiership winner Mark 'Pebbles' Laurie is in our worst 17 of all time, then I am going to take another look at our club records, because we must have won dozens of premierships by now, if one of our worst was M.Laurie!

Stagger eel

Staff member
yeah, I don't know where your coming from with Mark Laurie, over 150 first grade games, grand final winner, played for Country and captained our club on several occasions.

PB

Bench
The Eel said:
Hi all

I was lying in bed the other night, and I got to thinking that it might be an interesting exercise to name our worst Eels team of all time.......

I would reccomend when lying in bed thinking that instead of thinking about worst parra players, think about Jennifer love Hewitt or Jessica Alba, you will sleep much better.....:D

Stagger eel

Staff member
PB said:
I would reccomend when lying in bed thinking that instead of thinking about worst parra players, think about Jennifer love Hewitt or Jessica Alba, you will sleep much better.....:D

what, before or after you wash the sheets.

fish eel

Immortal
Mark Laurie is a dead set legend of this club.

One of our unsung heroes.

And FFS, you might not like Daniel Wago, but he has played State of Origin and been selected for Australia.

pk76

Juniors
shaun said:
Heres a few others that could make team:

I rated David Woods. Maybe if not for injuries he may have played rep. I was excited when crnkovich, g.liddiard, woods , bell, penna and co all came through junior reps in late 80's, early 90's. But history will show we were crap. Had crappy forward pack.

Agree. Had potentially awesome backline, let down by the forward pack. Rated Crankovich especially.

Scott Mahon... How much ridicule I endured defending him. In hindsight, he was.... useless.