What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers: Kick Roosters out of Comp

Penance

Juniors
strap_roosters.jpg

Article from: Penrith Panthers: Kick the Sydney Roosters out of comp

By Steve Mascord | November 08, 2008 12:00am

0,,6339249,00.jpg

Fuming ... Panthers boss Barry Walsh. Photograph: Phil Hillyard / The Daily Telegraph

PENRITH have written a scathing letter calling for the Sydney Roosters to be kicked out of the league they helped start 101 years ago. Panthers chairman Barry Walsh says if the inner-city club did not want to take part in the SG Ball and Harold Matthews junior competitions it should no longer be affiliated with the NSW Rugby League.
He has also called for the National Rugby League to investigate the Roosters, alleging they have effectively handed over the eastern suburbs to Australian football.

In a 740-word missive, obtained by The Daily Telegraph, Walsh wrote: "We believe there is a need for the National Rugby League to seriously consider whether or not Eastern Suburbs meets the criteria of the other districts.

"And, further, that there is a need for the NSWRL to seriously consider their affiliation and future involvement with the (club)."

The Roosters announced two months ago they would not enter teams in the under-16 and under-18 competitions, although it's expected they will now form a joint venture with Newtown in the 18s.
It is understood Sydney Roosters recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan has since been raiding Penrith juniors heavily.
Walsh continued: "We believe the decision is virtually handing over the Eastern Suburbs junior league district to Australian rules, who must be delighted with the outcome.

"We would suggest they have not weighed up the damage their decision will do to the development of the game and their district and throughout rugby league."
New Roosters chief executive Steve Noyce said: "As things stand, we will be working with Newtown in entering an SG Ball team while the Roosters junior league will field a team in under-16s. So there will be opportunities for kids."

Walsh said most clubs expected the Roosters to poach their talent and called for the leagues to act to prevent this.
"If Eastern Suburbs is to be allowed to continue in rugby league without having a Harold Matthews and SG Ball team and allowed to contact talented players from other district representative teams, there needs to be a complete re-think and significant increase in development fees," he said in the letter.

The complaint renews hostilities between two clubs with a rocky relationship. Star Brad Fittler and coach Phil Gould were poached by the Roosters, and the Panthers once photographed crowds at the Sydney Football Stadium to prove the foundation club was fudging figures.
Walsh declined to expand on the points made in the letter.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24616740-5006066,00.html

RWB

Bench
Well that certainly embarrassing... Roosters announced they would continue with the SG Ball and Harrold Mathew sides quite a while back.

Poor bloke, someone put him back in his retirement home... time for a nap.

Penance

Juniors
As much as i hate the roosters, since when can the panthers talk?

The same panthers that had players renegading contracts to return to penrith

(Luke Lewis and Nathan Smith)

OVP

Coach
Well that certainly embarrassing... Roosters announced they would continue with the SG Ball and Harrold Mathew sides quite a while back.

:lol:Gold !!:lol:

Nothing more needs to be said

Nemesis

Bench
If the eastern suburbs is supposedly falling into AFL hands, what is the NSW Rugby League and NRL doing to prevent it?? Rugby League development isn't the sole responsibility of the clubs.

Last edited:

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you kicked the Roosters out wouldn't you be handing the eastern suburbs to AFL?

vlad

juniors
The Melbourne Storm should be kicked out for handing Melbourne over to the AFL .

brendothejet

First Grade
Whilst i dont think their actions are "handing the eastern suburbs to AFL" I still think it is a bit sh*t that the Roosters aren't entering teams.

All NSW teams should have to enter teams in all competitions to ensure a junior pathway and level playing field re: development of players.

murraymob

Coach
that letter was sent to the nrl while the roosters had droped there junior sides.Interesting it was leaked by the nrl after they decided to run the sides.
But while our board members have for a long time been dinosaurs and long past there use by date.Some of his points have merit

1. if penrith and parra follow the roosters line and stop junior development .Where does the game go then.

The only point he is way of the mark with is kicking any team out of the comp the league needs to unite not fight from with in

The letter would have been sent some time ago I'd imagine. I actually agree with the point about juniors - part of any club's NRL participation obligations must be participating fully in junior development and competitions.

LRC

Roosters along with the dogs are probably penriths best drawing teams whe they play.
There is more to junior development then just having 2 token teams in Mathews and Ball.

The pantehrs are doing it well now with juniors...lets see in another 50 -100 yeards how they are.

They should get down on their knees and thank teams like the roosters and others who started this comp 100 hundred years ago which they have been lucky enough to be able to join in their short history.

murraymob

Coach
good to see the telegrapth run there stories completely correct .The picture appears to be penrith CEO Mick Leary not Barry Walsh as they claim but hey why let that stop a story

The Business

Juniors
AFL has always been popular in the eastern suburbs and the north shore. I played AFL for the Easts Bulldogs in the 80s.

This is nothing new.

There are actually two sports which are threats to rugby league in Sydney. AFL and football.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:lol: You tool. Merkin is what merkin is changed to through LU's word filter. Additionally, I'm quite sure that he knows what a merkin is.

griffo346

First Grade
IMO Roosters dont care they will just poach players from else where and buy anther premiership....and yet not be found out by salary cap rorting