What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Smith to replace Freddy

condochook

Juniors
freddie will not be anywhere near coaching.
Believe me,very very good sources.
He will be employed by his second dad,Nick Politis,to oversee marketing,meet and greet,the general feel good guy around the joint.

Chook Norris

First Grade
confirmed by Freddy on the footy show that he won't be involved in any coaching next year with the roosters

he said that he'd look at other options for next year in the off season.. so he may coach elsewhere :shock:

confirmed by Freddy on the footy show that he won't be involved in any coaching next year with the roosters

he said that he'd look at other options for next year in the off season.. so he may coach elsewhere :shock:

I would like to see him coach in the ESL or something to get a better grasp of what it's like, then when there is a new era of players at the Roosters, return more mature and more prepared.

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
This is the best option for the Roosters.

As much of a club legend Fittler is, he is not a good coach. He takes the "one of the boys" approach ala Nathan Brown and that fails, particularly with a young team.

The only concern I have now is whether or not Fittler will play to win for the rest of the season (eg to save his reputation) or do the right thing by the club and blood youngsters (watching the Toyota Cup team, we do have some great talent.)

Dave Q

Coach
Smith builds players from the ground up.

He'll buy a smattering of talent and thren turn some gooses into princes.

Given the salary cap restraints, its about the only way to get a competent side.

Knights must be crazy, youd rather have a good coach with geniuss than a bad coach with heroes.

Freddy's still a good bloke ( geez, Im going to have to hand in my rabbitoh membership for that utterance!).

aqua_duck

Coach
Smith builds players from the ground up.

He'll buy a smattering of talent and thren turn some gooses into princes.

Given the salary cap restraints, its about the only way to get a competent side.

Knights must be crazy, youd rather have a good coach with geniuss than a bad coach with heroes.

Freddy's still a good bloke ( geez, Im going to have to hand in my rabbitoh membership for that utterance!).
knights were between a rock and a hard place, we could've kept Smith for 2010 but reality is his heart wouldn't have been in it and we could've really gone backwards. I think the club made the right choice, Smith has done the job we was brought in to do and we now have a roster capable of being contenders for the next few years. Finding a coach shouldn't be too hard, its all about finding the right coach.
Realistically the job would attract many coaches, any coach without a job for next year would be silly not to consider us, we've got a young roster signed up long term. We're ATM a top 8 team and most of the top 17 from this year is signed up for next year. Its a fantastic foundation Smith has built for someone to take over

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
Watching the post-match conference, it seems that the board had a strategy for announcing the Smith signing and there was a leak.

Perrett seemed to be extremely disappointed that he found out through the news.

Fittler was really clear on not wanting to come back in any role at the Roosters. Noyce was also very honest on believing that Smith would just simply be better for the club.

Hanscholo

Bench
You guys have done well. There is no doubt in my mind he is the best coach newcastle ever had, and we have had some of the all time great coaches. I just wish our clubs management understood that being cheap gets you nowhere.

Tommax25

Bench
How many more big names would you like the Roosters to have in their squad...

Anasta, Mason, Minichiello, Myles, Pearce, Carney, Sa, Cherrington. Plus they have just pinched Kouparitsis (already playing) and Daniel Conn and waread-Hargreaves for next season. There is also huge rumours of the return of the wingman.....and I am sure there will be a few others. Also rumours of Keiran Foran and Phil Graham. When you add that to the very good kids they have in Friend, the aubussons, Tom Symonds, Ahern, Cordner, williamson and co, how many more do they want.......

Brian Smith is the best cleaner-out merchant in the game, he is especially good at bringing kids through, which is very good timing for the roosters as the batch they have coming through at the moment are very good even if they are all everybody elses juniors (except Symonds).

Not big names. What are you on?

Rooster Lozz

Juniors
I think its disgraceful the way the way it was leaked to the media before Fittler even knew. To make matters even worse Under 20's coaching staff knew before he did! This is the greatest player to ever play for the club and this is the way you treat him!

f**king hell whoever is responsible for this leak deserves to be named and shamed, the club did the exact same thing when Stuart left. Good track record.

maestro1

Bench
Not big names. What are you on?

What are you on, is the question..... Can you read? Conn , Graham, etc were just extra players that are coming to the club. The big names are the first lot I listed and these are the ones I was referring to.

I wouldn't turn my nose up at the others, they are all good firts graders.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
Yeah, I know mate. He'll deal with the discipline issue. Wonder what he can do with Mason?
Still feel bad for Freddy though. Hope he does stay with us although I can't see it happening. Not so soon anyway.

If Brian Smith is smart the first player he will get rid of is Mason. Deadweight and eating too much of your salary cap for minimal impact. Its money that could be better spent elsewhere on good young players. Let Mason go to England.

Fein

First Grade
Brian Smith - top signing, exactly what The Roosters need.

Can't believe The Knights let him go.

Lambretta

First Grade
I'm ok with the signing. I think Smith is one of the smarter operators in Rugby League and he knows how to build teams full of players that other clubs over look. That's something the Roosters need badly with our habit of always chasing the big profile names which often end up under performing.

I feel for Freddy though. I really like the bloke and I wish he'd stay at Bondi and learn from Brian. I know it means Freddy will have to swallow his pride - but I reckon he really can learn truck loads from Brian.

roopy

Referee
If Smith follows the same 'rules' as at Newcastle, Mason is as good as gone.

His one rule seems to be he won't pay overs for any player. If Smith thinks Mason is worth 300k a season, and he demands 301k because he has a high profile, it's 'don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out' time. As a Newcastle fan, i can tell you that this policy will have you pulling your hair out as big names get shown the door and seemingly average guys get signed - but in the end you will have a better squad.

adamkungl

Immortal
If Brian Smith is smart the first player he will get rid of is Mason. Deadweight and eating too much of your salary cap for minimal impact. Its money that could be better spent elsewhere on good young players. Let Mason go to England.

tbh Mason was pretty awesome yesterday.

Latest posts