What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Smith to replace Freddy

boo_boo

Juniors
If true Brian Smith will have to perform miracles to get this club to start playing decent footy.
Fitzgibbons, O'Mealy, Shakleton & now Freddy are all gone & with no big names left on the open market then there is going to be massive responsibility on the players left to get the club out of it's current rut.
I think it's the wrong move to get rid of Freddy.

henrieté

Juniors
http://rugbyleaguelive.com.au/Artic...rt_Brian_Smith_to_coach_Roosters_in_2010.aspx

Brian Smith to coach Roosters in 2010

10903_Smith_Brian_g_614.jpg

rating
rating_0stars.gif

rate

http://rugbyleaguelive.com.au/Artic...t_Brian_Smith_to_coach_Roosters_in_2010.aspx#

Rugbyleaguelive.com & AAP | 18/07/09 | 0

Newcastle coach Brian Smith has sought a release from the Knights to take up an offer to coach the Sydney Roosters from next season.

Smith will replace Brad Fittler at the helm of the Roosters club in 2010, ending his three-year association with the Knights.

The Knights board has to approve the release on Monday, but that appears a formality.

"I don't think Newcastle was ever going to be long-term for Brian," Knights chief executive Steve Burraston told Fox Sports on Saturday night.

"If he had an opportunity to get a pretty substantial position somewhere else for a long period of time, it would be wrong for us to stand in his way I think.

"Brian asked us today if he could have a release so he could take up the position with the Roosters.

"From the chairman's and my point of view, we said we would be recommending to the board on Monday that that be the case, that we do grant him a release.

"In any employment outside of footy, you wouldn't stand in someone's way if they could do something that they wanted to do in their career."

Rumour about Fittler's future at Bondi Junction have swirled for much of the season, given the club's reluctance to enter negotiations to re-sign him.

Smith has taken the Knights from cellar-dwellars to major finals contenders in the space of three seasons, but Newcastle is reportedly willing to release the former Dragons and Parramatta coach from the final year of his contract to join the Roosters.

Fittler's Roosters have fallen from grace dramatically this season, and are languishing at the bottom of the ladder after a top four finish last season.

Burraston said the Roosters had offered Smith a four-year deal, compared to the one season Smith has remaining on his Newcastle contract.

"I would suggest without knowing that it's probably substantially more than we're capable of paying as well and he had family reasons around that as well," Burraston said.

He said the Knights had a number of ideas regarding a possible head coach for next year, including assistants at Newcastle and other clubs.

"We're not short of options, put it that way," he said.

But he played down talk club great Andrew Johns would be the man.

"I don't think Joey would like a full-time coaching career. He has stated that publicly on many occasions that he's not cut out to be a coach," Burraston said.

Burraston said he was more than happy to have Smith as head coach for the remainder of the 2009 season.

"He's a very intense coach and he's a very professional coach," Burraston said.

"Brian will give us everything and he gave me his word on that and said he has got a competition to win here and he firmly believes we will win the competition."

icon_leftQuote_bigBlue.gif
I don't think Newcastle was ever going to be long-term for Brian.
icon_rightQuote_bigBlue.gif
Steve Burraston, Knights CEO

One of the biggest shocks I've gotten.

It would seem the Knights admin are happy for Smith to take a long term offer.

Apey

Staff member
"Brian will give us everything and he gave me his word on that and said he has got a competition to win here and he firmly believes we will win the competition."

if this comes true he can leave if he wants :D

maestro1

Bench
If true Brian Smith will have to perform miracles to get this club to start playing decent footy.
Fitzgibbons, O'Mealy, Shakleton & now Freddy are all gone & with no big names left on the open market then there is going to be massive responsibility on the players left to get the club out of it's current rut.
I think it's the wrong move to get rid of Freddy.

How many more big names would you like the Roosters to have in their squad...

Anasta, Mason, Minichiello, Myles, Pearce, Carney, Sa, Cherrington. Plus they have just pinched Kouparitsis (already playing) and Daniel Conn and waread-Hargreaves for next season. There is also huge rumours of the return of the wingman.....and I am sure there will be a few others. Also rumours of Keiran Foran and Phil Graham. When you add that to the very good kids they have in Friend, the aubussons, Tom Symonds, Ahern, Cordner, williamson and co, how many more do they want.......

Brian Smith is the best cleaner-out merchant in the game, he is especially good at bringing kids through, which is very good timing for the roosters as the batch they have coming through at the moment are very good even if they are all everybody elses juniors (except Symonds).

Dave Q

Coach
Hes a tremendous coach, this is an absolute masterstroke, an act of genius and I hate Nick as much as the next guy (!)

But you'd only keep 3 or 4 from the current fg squad.

The rest are playing like circus performers.

Smith stomps on players heads whilst singing the national anthemn.

Loves a few mind games.

Nah, its all good, even for you ugly lot.

Last edited:

condochook

Juniors
a bit of discipline for this bunch of bloody drunken schoolboys.
i can tell you that the coaching staff will be all booted out of the joint.
young,lam,etc etc etc
good news to tell you the truth

Sood

Juniors
Never been crazy about the guy but i have been impressed with what he has done at the knghts.

Shame for freddy, but there really was no choice.. i hope he stays as assistant or somthing

Latest posts