What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Smith to replace Freddy

Dave Q

Coach
If Smith follows the same 'rules' as at Newcastle, Mason is as good as gone.

His one rule seems to be he won't pay overs for any player. If Smith thinks Mason is worth 300k a season, and he demands 301k because he has a high profile, it's 'don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out' time. As a Newcastle fan, i can tell you that this policy will have you pulling your hair out as big names get shown the door and seemingly average guys get signed - but in the end you will have a better squad.

Spot on.

In the past, big Willie has admitted that he hasnt put in and Smith just wont stand for that.

He wont stand for an any egomaniacs or unbecoming conduct.

Eventually he will put together a formidable side, but he needs time and respect to do so.

Freddy should accept his departure gracefully and with good will like Mark Ellison did and Lang did when he was white-anted at Penrith.

Its Ok to have a private whinge, but it doesnt help anyone to go public, its unporfessional and burns bridges. Freddy might want back into Roosterville one day and he will have made unneccessary enemies. Hes not a panther anymore, he cant go home either.

From the club's viewpoint, as soon as staff and players feel the need to rub their backsides on the club, they should be punted.

Geez, Id love Smith to coach at Souths one day. But he needs at least 2 or 3 seasons to turn it around.

A brave and courageous decision by Rooster management. They spent years lifting Freddy up, now they have had to cut him down.

I am sure they would rather be winning games, but hell, they are addressing the issue.

Kudos to Nick and his cronies!! The shadowy rooster board strike hard!!

Last edited:

boo_boo

Juniors
The more i think about it the more i cant see any positive changes coming for the Roosters.
A miracle will be needed to avoid the spoon two years in a row.

Fein

First Grade
The more i think about it the more i cant see any positive changes coming for the Roosters.
A miracle will be needed to avoid the spoon two years in a row.

:lol::lol::lol:

Rooster fans, get on a top 4 finish right NOW!!!!!

Dave Q

Coach
The dark lords of Roosterville have summoned Sir Freddy to the house of the second-hand golden charriot and nailed him to the cross!

Years of service, Freddy verily sold his soul to the devil when he abandoned the Panthers for a few shekels.

Lured by promises of fame, glory and riches beyond comprehension. He was to become Mr Rooster!

What goes around,comes around.

Our beloved Fredmeister has forgotten that Rugby League is.....the game of broken hearts.

His past has now come back to haunt him.

Onwards thy evil rooster fans, get the hated factor back. If it makes you feel better, I still hate youse!

Now the panther fans should be celebrating this unexpected victory for honour and loyalty.

Karma.

Last edited:

boo_boo

Juniors
The way that the Roosters have treated Freddy is one reason why i dont think signing Brian Smith will bring any benefits to the Roosters Dave.
No-one to replace Fitzgibbons (on the field) for a start plus he was a loyal clubman as well.
An aging Minechello, Pearce & Anasta at the crossroads & Willie Mason's not happy either.
It's going to take a big turnaround for that club to be successfull once again & i dont think Brian Smiths the answers.
I too think Brian Smith has an exceptional football brain but coaching under those circumstances could prove to be his downfall.

Dave Q

Coach
The way that the Roosters have treated Freddy is one reason why i dont think signing Brian Smith will bring any benefits to the Roosters Dave.
No-one to replace Fitzgibbons (on the field) for a start plus he was a loyal clubman as well.
An aging Minechello, Pearce & Anasta at the crossroads & Willie Mason's not happy either.
It's going to take a big turnaround for that club to be successfull once again & i dont think Brian Smiths the answers.
I too think Brian Smith has an exceptional football brain but coaching under those circumstances could prove to be his downfall.

He loves a challenge Boo.

He has been coaching at the top level for quite some time, he has invented quite a few plays and styles we see today.

He will insist on a dictatorship and he will get one.

All those players you mentioned, they should be axed.

The roosters have never been about loyalty, thats a quality they dont have live up to. They are about ruthlessness and winning. They are about treachery and deceit. Smith screws with players minds. He has his own bizarre and weird ways. He can do no wrong there.

Boo buddy, when a demon enters hell, no-one looks twice.

Smith can pick and choose another club after the roosters. He will be OK.

Freddy is the damaged one.

If I was a rooster fan, Id be celebrating.

Love or hate Nick, supreme dark lord of roosterville, hes done the right thing by the club. I admire his guts.

Last edited:

boo_boo

Juniors
Dave i happen to work with a member of the Souths Under 23'steam that Brian Smith coached to a premiership in 1981 against Parramatta & even back then he was putting on plays before his time.
There is no doubt that he is a very good coach so there's no arguement there however for him to change the Roosters that much would be near impossible as they are a culture within themselves because as you so rightly stated they are not about loyalty & are ruthless in their quest for success.

Dave Q

Coach
Dave i happen to work with a member of the Souths Under 23'steam that Brian Smith coached to a premiership in 1981 against Parramatta & even back then he was putting on plays before his time.
There is no doubt that he is a very good coach so there's no arguement there however for him to change the Roosters that much would be near impossible as they are a culture within themselves because as you so rightly stated they are not about loyalty & are ruthless in their quest for success.

Boo, I appreciate the general comments as to character.

They are not a club that is regarded as being especially loyal or giving.

They have a reputation for being uncaring mercenaries.

Many of their fans are fair-weather knuckleheads. But they also have some champions in their midst. We have to concede that unnatural circumstance. Guys like Ozzie, we loved, looked up to and still miss here on LU.

In many ways, they are the opposite of Souths.

But even so, when they are really down and out, we should not go out of our way to hurt them. Dont rescue them sure, but dont stomp on them.

Smith will do a lot for them as a people. If he cant turn them around, I understand. But he will try.

He will challenge their innate and natural evilness from the inside. They will benefit.

I hope for everyones sake he succeeds and they become of the high calibre they aspire to be.

Last edited:

Boo, which clubs are loyal? I think of Broncos in the Benny years but now we hear of 'under the table' payments.
Wingy wouldn't feel much loyalty shown his way at the moment. Excuse my ignorance but I can't think of a ten year player at Souths at the moment. I don't think salary caps allow too much loyalty these days although an aging Fitzy and injury prone Minichiello shows some signs of loyalty don't you think?

doggone

Juniors
It's going to be interesting to see what unfolds next year?? I guess some players would be feeling a bit nervous!

boo_boo

Juniors
The changing face of the game probably dictates those terms that you have stated BFOR.
Players like Craig Fitzgibbons, Luke Stuart, John Skandalis, Steve Simpson, Nathan Hindmarsh area rare breed.
I never meant to be rude to your club but that's just the way i perceive Nick Politis to be as a businessman.
And that's what the game is these day's, a business.

The changing face of the game probably dictates those terms that you have stated BFOR.
Players like Craig Fitzgibbons, Luke Stuart, John Skandalis, Steve Simpson, Nathan Hindmarsh area rare breed.
I never meant to be rude to your club but that's just the way i perceive Nick Politis to be as a businessman.
And that's what the game is these day's, a business.

I didn't think you were rude mate and I hope my reply didn't come off as sharp. I agree that Nick may be ruthless, he's a successful businessman after all but he took his time with Freddy. Didn't want to hire him to begin with incase it came to this. I think he showed his soft side this time.

boo_boo

Juniors
Well i actually rate Freddy as a coach & i'm very surprised it has come to this.
Maybe too many aging stars was something that led to his downfall who knows but i thought at least another year to prove himself because after all this is his first full time coaching job.

Fein

First Grade
Bombers Cigar then ...

Maaaaaaaaaate, that idiot was banned here a while back. ;-)

This peanut WAS a Prude regular though.

Tet & Glory Days were a couple of nics used.

Engaging in conversation with him is like talking to the Taliban.

One minute everything is hunky dory and the next you are covered in sh*t because a bomb has exploded.

As arsewipes go, he is a Grand Master.

Tommax25

Bench
What are you on, is the question..... Can you read? Conn , Graham, etc were just extra players that are coming to the club. The big names are the first lot I listed and these are the ones I was referring to.

I wouldn't turn my nose up at the others, they are all good firts graders.

Perhaps saying that in your original post and not afterwards would make more sense. You listed players, some of which are certainly not considered big names, and had a fullstop, then listed more players. Should I have read your mind that you had stopped listing the big name players the roosters have/are interested in, despite your outrage at all the big name players being considered? :crazy:

Easts To Lose

Juniors
Seen freddy today

he was walking into centrelink with a bunch of roosters supporters cheering on the move

then brian smith came and he was claimed there new saviour
:crazy:

Latest posts