What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fullback Recruitment Hit-List

Talanexor

Juniors
No way Dugan would play in a team coached by an ex-schoolteacher. As he says yes sir no sir three bags full sir.:crazy::sarcasm:

Yeah, the Raiders have done really well this year now that he's gone...

I'd be stoked if we could grab Dugan, but I don't see it happening.

Charlie, agree with you about the small backs. However, small backs are ok if they are quick and agile. Our problem is that we have small backs who are slow and flat-footed.

Shorty

Staff member
Considering last year the club had a major defence overhaul, I expect the outside backs to be hunted.
With Rovelli, Watts and Burns all there to help out JT, there's really no other choice.

Mind you, this is the club that bought Shannon Hegarty....so I don't know what kind fo quality will be brought to the club!

Broncos fan!

Juniors
Esi Tonga would be a great signing for the cowboys.
Imagine Esi and Willie in the centres. :p

If the cowboys don't end up signing a fullback what do you think of Watts playing there?

Charlie124

First Grade
Esi Tonga would be a great signing for the cowboys.
Imagine Esi and Willie in the centres. :p

If the cowboys don't end up signing a fullback what do you think of Watts playing there?

Watts fills in at fullback pretty well but he is certainly not a long term option. I'd love to see him groomed as a fulltime 5/8 or utility off the bench.

Charlie124

First Grade
Dugan is tall but he's actually a twig. A great fullback though, but I don't think the cowboys will get him.

Yeah i wasnt meaning that we should sign Dugan specifically, but a player like him who's got a similar playing style.

Very happy to hear that we're in talks with Gallant.

Talanexor

Juniors
I'm glad too, although it's a shame we let Humble slip through our fingers. We shouldn't have waited until we knew we'd lose Bowen for most of next season.

Fullback depth - or lack thereof - has been a major issue for us for quite a while now. It was only exposed last year though, with Bowen out for most of it. Ty Williams and Ashley Graham are NOT the answer at fullback. We should have signed a fullback at the start of this season, or at the very least as soon as Farrar went to Manly - he was supposed to be our backup.

macnaz

Staff member
Heres Gallant in action http://bigpondvideo.com/nrl/189463 a bit past the 48th minute of the game. Hope you guys get him, his defence altho good needs a bit of work but im sure with experience and help from Matty he will be a awesome buy. His biggest asset apart from his speed and positional play is his courage, he will always put his body on the line when it matters .

Last edited:

macnaz

Staff member
713229-shannon-gallant.jpg

Family man ... Wests Tiger Shannon Gallant and his 20 month old son Preston at home in Ambarvale. Photograph Angelo Soulas Source: The Daily Telegraph

WESTS Tigers fullback Shannon Gallant has set himself an eight-week deadline to make it as an NRL player - or he will join the police force.

Signed by the Tigers on an incentive-structured contract with a base value of just $20,000 for the season, Gallant has walked the NRL breadline for the past two seasons. Off contract in October and with 20-month-old son Preston and fiancee Brooke Munro at home in Ambarvale, the Wests Magpies junior is fighting to forge a career on a battler's income.
But the fullback nicknamed Mighty Mouse, who pockets an extra $2,500 for every NRL match he plays, isn't about to complain. "I might be struggling a bit but I'd be happy to brush my match payments just to play in the NRL,'' Gallant said.
"Obviously they come in handy and I desperately need them. But that's how keen I am just to get a go. It's hard trying to make things work but this is a dream ... sometimes you've got to struggle a bit to get through."
"This is the most important eight weeks of my rugby league life. It could be the end of my career - or it could be just the start.I've just got to work hard for the family now."
"My family's always helped me through the tough times. But if rugby league doesn't work then I want to become a police officer. I'd like to start in uniform but eventually I'd like to work on the highway patrol.''
With the Tigers finals hopes all but extinguished, Gallant has earned an opportunity after coach Tim Sheens opted to scrap the controversial experiment of playing Benji Marshall at halfback.
Regular fullback Tim Moltzen is now wearing the No.7 jumper, with Marshall playing five-eighth. That means Gallant will today make his debut at Leichhardt Oval - opposite a player he has spent countless hours studying in the shape of North Queensland's Matt Bowen.
"I've watched that many tapes on Matt Bowen,'' Gallant said. "I try to replicate my game on him ... so I can't wait to get an opportunity against him.''
New Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys said the club was likely to make a decision within the next fortnight on whether Gallant is given a new contract. "We're just in the final throes of locking down our playing roster for next year,'' Humphreys said.
"We still have two or three spots to determine so Shannon is very much in our thinking. The first half of the year probably didn't play out the way Shannon would have liked but he's continued to work hard and finds himself back in the NRL team so he's very much in the mix for us.''
Gallant has pocketed a total of $30,000 so far this season - before tax - and hopes some strong from will see him remain in the NRL.

Thanks NC for the original post on the WT forum .

Last edited:

Talanexor

Juniors
This is good, really good news.

We've got ourselves a genuine fullback and a real speedster. Bowen has been too much of a ball-player this season IMO, he's always at his most dangerous when he runs it. This is where Gallant fits in.

I'm stoked.

macnaz

Staff member
You lucky buggers:D, He is gunna be fantastic for you guys just as he would have been here if given a fair chance. Mighty Mouse will be a crowd favourite with the cowboys for sure ,he deserves all the good fortunes coming his way. Well Done Shannon.

Ps Cowboys are my second team from this point on.:cool:

Talanexor

Juniors
Thats a HUGE call.

Bowen has been playing at second receiver most of the season anyway. He's a ball player in attack, and he's a lousy fullback in defence, except for his one-on-one tackling, which has saved quite a few tries. He does nothing in the way of kick returns, which annoys nearly every Cows fan out there, and is one of worst parts of his game.

But if Gallant proves to be a great ball runner, do we shift him to wing/centre when Bowen is fit? or do we leave him at fullback and move Bowen to 5/8?

elyod138

Bench
Bowen has been playing exactly how the coach has wanted, it's not his fault that he has had to play as our 5/8 for the last few years.

The passing on kick returns is a tactic to keep him fresh for our attacking sets. Do you really think he would still be playing first grade if the coach wanted him to run it back on the kick returns and he was disobeying him?

I have no idea what you mean about him being a bad defender at fullback.

I do think Bowen should be tried at 5/8 though if Gallant is playing well, as long as Henry can figure out a way to manage the extra defensive work.

Last edited:

Shorty

Staff member
A lousy fullback in defence?!
Mmmm right.

Stoked that Gallant was signed though, maybe recruitment is listening after all?

And there is no way Bowen would be released, his value to the team far outweighs the time he has spent on the sideline.

elyod138

Bench
It would take the club years to recover if they forced forced Bowen out prematurely.

Last edited:

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Should be a good signing- he is a talented player.

A little surprising that they'd sign a guy with a broken leg to replace an already injured fullback but I guess a broken leg isnt the end of the world.

Latest posts