What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harold Matthews and SG Ball Discussion Thread

Art Vandalay

Juniors
To Ranga. If you are going to call people names first then you need to understand that it's coming back your way.

If you continue to abuse posters then I will be suggesting a sideline sitout for you.

To all.
Any further posts that relates to Ranga's previous posts will be deleted on sight. Lets remain on subject of the title of this thread for the enjoyment of all without the abuse. It is a very informative topic and well viewed by many.

Thankyou.

boys get over ur 12 year s.hit

its old

confirmation that regan verney has joined the sg ball squad for training as of today

micro

Juniors
Tai and Aaron Tavalee are training with and playing sg ball with the roosters. Penrith will be shocked about Aaron who captained the development squad in the few outings since the season finished.The Glenmore Park connection at the roosters strikes again.

sweet-as

Juniors
Tai and Aaron Tavalee are training with and playing sg ball with the roosters. Penrith will be shocked about Aaron who captained the development squad in the few outings since the season finished.The Glenmore Park connection at the roosters strikes again.

This is becoming pathetic the amount of talented Penrith Juniors are leaving for another club. Why don't Penrith just offer some Peanut contracts and keep our Juniors here.

The Teach

Juniors
Finally a post that makes sense stretcher!! That is all :lol::lol:

Anyway, back on topic now before this forum "goes downhill" anymore, can anyone tell me how all our juniors are being allowed to leave? Stirling Sejka to the Gold Coast feeder club is just another example of poor talent identification. This club's junior system and retention of our best juniors hasn't been the same since Peter Mulholland left for the Bulldogs, and that saddens not only myself, but all Penrith supporters I'm sure.

Kilkenny

Coach

Anyway, back on topic now before this forum "goes downhill" anymore, can anyone tell me how all our juniors are being allowed to leave? Stirling Sejka to the Gold Coast feeder club is just another example of poor talent identification. This club's junior system and retention of our best juniors hasn't been the same since Peter Mulholland left for the Bulldogs, and that saddens not only myself, but all Penrith supporters I'm sure.

Allowing Peter Mulholland to go to the bulldogs will surely not hit home until he finally achieves the ultimate signing. Viapuna Tia Kilifi. Mark my words the Bulldogs signing his brother Junior is more about driving a wedge in the family with a view to signing the best of the brothers which without any shadow of a doubt is Viapuna. The Panthers should have Viapuna tied up now long term but I fear they don't and you can rest assured Peter Mulholland will be doing everything in his power to pry him from the Panthers. Viapuna will become the next Paul Gallen, Anthony Watmougth you can rest assured, you may not like the above but he will certainly develop into a rep standard back rower similar to the above.

The Teach

Juniors
I totally agree with you there Kilkenny. He is without a doubt one of the best young prospects we have had come through our junior ranks in a long time, and will surely represent at national level. It's a shame our management haven't got a clue and will let him leave whenever his contract expires.

BOMAR

Juniors

Id say there is more to it than that. Stirling was allowed to leave to go to cronulla 2 years ago with mullholland in charge and then allowed to leave cronulla mid season to come back to penrith with open arms. Also if players leave some onus has to be on the player as well. There are alot of kids out for everything they can get and show no loyalty at all. 3 or 4 kids are getting all the money and the rest are busting themselves for nothing.

BOMAR

Juniors
My observation on why our juniors leave to go to other clubs is more about money than anything else. As junior players the only kids that prosper are the country and qld kids really. A local jnr may play for a scholarship of a thousand or so, some school fees and incentives. A country player will play for the same as well as housing costs which can amount to about 10,000 or so. The local jnr 18 or 19 wants a place of his own and has to find the rent, but the country kids is paid for. I know a kid from blacktown was sent to live with family in country picked up by an nrl club in sydney, so now lives back home in blacktown. But because he was picked up while playing in the country is now being paid living away from home allowance which bumps his contract up to 25000 a year. Blocker and wrighty are offered more at cronulla because they have to relocate.

stretcher

Juniors
My observation on why our juniors leave to go to other clubs is more about money than anything else. As junior players the only kids that prosper are the country and qld kids really. A local jnr may play for a scholarship of a thousand or so, some school fees and incentives. A country player will play for the same as well as housing costs which can amount to about 10,000 or so. The local jnr 18 or 19 wants a place of his own and has to find the rent, but the country kids is paid for. I know a kid from blacktown was sent to live with family in country picked up by an nrl club in sydney, so now lives back home in blacktown. But because he was picked up while playing in the country is now being paid living away from home allowance which bumps his contract up to 25000 a year. Blocker and wrighty are offered more at cronulla because they have to relocate.
blocker and wrighty are two different cases in fact wrighty asked to come back and penrith said no which i support he was offered a decent contract to stay but as you said living away bumoed it up lancen left to chase money and he wasnt a kid when he made that decision and a lot of country kids come to penrith because of there reputation of how well they get treated and i know our locals should get treated better but in my opinion the biggest problem is the player managers and the greed of the players we have 14yolds chasing contracts and they havent even played a season of matts to prove themselves they should wait their turn and for this years matts they failed badly and dont deserve to be in front of the 13 guys that played academy ball and the three that played ball for penrith already thats 17 dosent leave much room for 16yolds who as i said failed at matts level

The Teach

Juniors
Another note to add to this is that the majority of these youngsters are being signed on to managers who only really have their own interests at heart, and are looking to line their own pockets. These managers are generally grubs only looking for an easy paypacket. Pretty easy to see why a naive 14/15 yr old would get suckered in by them.

stretcher

Juniors
Id say there is more to it than that. Stirling was allowed to leave to go to cronulla 2 years ago with mullholland in charge and then allowed to leave cronulla mid season to come back to penrith with open arms. Also if players leave some onus has to be on the player as well. There are alot of kids out for everything they can get and show no loyalty at all. 3 or 4 kids are getting all the money and the rest are busting themselves for nothing.
unfortunately you are right about about top line stars getting all the money but they are game winners and you need a base of stars to build your team around it happens in 1st grade but with patience hard work not whinging will pay off, more than half of the players playing 1st grade havent played junior rep footy they are the ones who kept putting in when the stars drop off and believe me they will...besides most fair dinkum players would play the game for free if they love the game instead of thinking what the game will give them.

murraymob

First Grade
heres one for all of you
Name 3 players from the harold mathews or s g ball squads from next year that will go on to play first grade .Name them in order from best no1 to no3

heres one for all of you
Name 3 players from the harold mathews or s g ball squads from next year that will go on to play first grade .Name them in order from best no1 to no3

i think thats a bit early to say who will go on and play first grade when no football has been played yet in 2010, a lot of things come in to that like attitude, injuries, who can tough it out week in week out, commitment, and who really wants to play first grade. tough times for teenage boys when getting drag in the social scene as well.

i think thats a bit early to say who will go on and play first grade when no football has been played yet in 2010, a lot of things come in to that like attitude, injuries, who can tough it out week in week out, commitment, and who really wants to play first grade. tough times for teenage boys when getting drag in the social scene as well.

but heres 3 or 4 from matts i think will play first grade, bryce cartwright, jakiel faimano, josh walker, wiki taliavou

sweet-as

Juniors
As long as they stay injury free I think these are the most likely 3 to play first grade:

1) Ryan Wilson
2) Vaipuna Tia-Kalifi
3) Bryce Cartwright

BOMAR

Juniors
Another note to add to this is that the majority of these youngsters are being signed on to managers who only really have their own interests at heart, and are looking to line their own pockets. These managers are generally grubs only looking for an easy paypacket. Pretty easy to see why a naive 14/15 yr old would get suckered in by them.
Although there is some truth to what you say, player managers infact wont make any money off these kids. For them to make any money they have to sign a contract for more than $20,000. The tables really have turned where the kids are actually sucking more out of them. They are demanding boots and shoes and any other sort of clothing that they can get. Not that i feel sorry for them in any way. I dont think kids at 14 and 15 should be getting big contracts but some sort of remuneration for all the travelling that is involved for 3 and 4 nights of training and then game days. Special eating requirements for elite athletes including supplements.
I can also add that boys at h/m age that leave school for work have in the past been told to choose between football and their jobs if they clash. Most of these boys by the time they are 18/19 have put there lives on hold and will make nothing from the game.

stretcher

Juniors
Although there is some truth to what you say, player managers infact wont make any money off these kids. For them to make any money they have to sign a contract for more than $20,000. The tables really have turned where the kids are actually sucking more out of them. They are demanding boots and shoes and any other sort of clothing that they can get. Not that i feel sorry for them in any way. I dont think kids at 14 and 15 should be getting big contracts but some sort of remuneration for all the travelling that is involved for 3 and 4 nights of training and then game days. Special eating requirements for elite athletes including supplements.
I can also add that boys at h/m age that leave school for work have in the past been told to choose between football and their jobs if they clash. Most of these boys by the time they are 18/19 have put there lives on hold and will make nothing from the game.
the problem with most player managers is that they get 300 clients hoping that they might get 10 good ones therefore they cant deliver the same attention to each individual its getting like jerry maguire unfortunately and in relation to travelling and comittment at 14or15 the parents should get the reimbursement not the kid he pays for nothing they should have school fees paid for and medical covered thats it and in regard to putting your life on hold thats rubbish what else would a 15or16yold be doing with there time most rep players go out to parties etc after games and in regard to training during the week what are they giving up not many parties etc happen during the week and to add to that sgball have a day off in between sessions to do study,homework entertainment etc during the week and about sacrafice its not a bad sacrafice to make if it pays off pretty lucrative and when a player dosent make it to the top of the tree their lives arent over although some think it is get a grip with reality they are normally young enough to persue another career just some sit around feeling sorry for themselves and miss the chances.

brothersleague

Juniors
my 3 from junior reps are

1- Eisenhuth, from what i hav heard just is so dedicated, treats his body like a temple
2- Vaipuna
3- Cartwright

Latest posts