What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are you a Rooster?

Time for the social threads. :lol:
So, why/how did you become a fan of the Sydney Roosters?

For mine, it was 1999. Went to a Campbelltown school. Lots of Dragons/Sharks fans. Hated both clubs. Dad introduced me to football, Dad supported Easts (who had my favourite player at the time in Adrian Lam) so one thing lead to another. :lol:

Monk

Referee
in 1999 the telegraph came with an Official Rugby League album, and each day or so, you would get a new team photo, after I ad collected them all, i asked dad which team he supported. He replied, "we support the Sydney Roosters" and pointed at their team photo. I actually still have that album, although its not exactly in perfect condition, It has Gus sitting in the middle, Freddy on his right (photo's left)

I was born and raised in the Sutherland Shire (I ran away when old enough) and was just old enough to understand footy but hadn't picked a team until I met Ron Coote at Westfields. A few of them lived in the Shire BTW. He asked me who I barracked for and promptly answered "Eastern Suburbs Mr Coote."

Anyway, the 74 season was underway and 75 came along just to make sure I was truly hooked.

If I had of met him a year earlier, I'd probably be a long suffering Souths fan. Fate.

fowlster

Juniors
I used to watch dad run out for the Young Cherry Pickers.
They were red white and blue....when I saw league on the TV, I used to think it was dads team.
Then along came 74 and 75. I was hooked.

Pass the Ball

Juniors
I was born into it..

Just as my kids were born Easts supporters also..

You don't get to pick your family or your footy team in my world...

Lambretta

First Grade
I came to Australia in October 1995 - right after the Grand Final - so 1996 was the first season where I saw anything.

At the time I was living in Double Bay and working in Mascot.

A woman at work sold "doubles" for the first try scorers for each team for the Friday night game. This was to raise money for Souths Juniors.

Towards the end of the 96 season I was watching the Friday night games (didnt know anyone in Oz so I wasnt going out alot) out of sheer boredom to see if I had won anything.

I started to get into the sport and decided I should support a team.

I decided that I should support a local team - and being a West Ham fan, I have a soft spot for completely crap teams, so I asked around and enquired who was utterly sh*t. My brother in law (a glory hunter who has supported both Newcastle and St George during my time here) assured me that Easts were sh*t. I could tell from the league ladder that Souths were also f**king rubbish. I was torn.

In the end, I decided that as I was living in Double Bay, that I should follow Easts and a love affair was born.

Lambretta

First Grade
The fatal flaw in my theory though was that by 2007 the Roosters were in the Finals and weren't actually sh*t.

So a lifetime of expectation of actually supporting a team that was good (for the first time in my life) was started.

Thank god for last years wooden spoon. That felt far more natural to me :p

I came to Australia in October 1995 - right after the Grand Final - so 1996 was the first season where I saw anything.

At the time I was living in Double Bay and working in Mascot.

A woman at work sold "doubles" for the first try scorers for each team for the Friday night game. This was to raise money for Souths Juniors.

Towards the end of the 96 season I was watching the Friday night games (didnt know anyone in Oz so I wasnt going out alot) out of sheer boredom to see if I had won anything.

I started to get into the sport and decided I should support a team.

I decided that I should support a local team - and being a West Ham fan, I have a soft spot for completely crap teams, so I asked around and enquired who was utterly sh*t. My brother in law (a glory hunter who has supported both Newcastle and St George during my time here) assured me that Easts were sh*t. I could tell from the league ladder that Souths were also f**king rubbish. I was torn.

In the end, I decided that as I was living in Double Bay, that I should follow Easts and a love affair was born.

Wow, so you got on board just before the comp tore itself apart. I'm amazed we still have you.
Given your criteria for picking teams you must have been disappointed in 02. Are you happy now?.:p

Lambretta

First Grade
Wow, so you got on board just before the comp tore itself apart. I'm amazed we still have you.
Given your criteria for picking teams you must have been disappointed in 02. Are you happy now?.:p

The sport is such a good product that even the Super League war couldnt put me off. I wasnt weighed down with tradition and all that stuff. I used to watch the Super League games and the World Club Challenge games and the Super League tri series games. I was just chuffed that the Roosters didnt have to face that bloody Brisbane side. They were insane!

But the Roosters were who I'd chosen, so I used to go to the games (every home game).

My brother in law had a Gold Season pass for the SFS and Cricket Ground and he never used them. For $100 a season I got a Gold Members pass, a guest pass and two club passes. My mates used to come with me (from 98 through to 01) and chuck in $50 each to access the tickets for the season.

For 2 seasons I was being PAID to watch the Roosters :lol:

Then the renewal went to $200 so it cost me $50 for a year for 2 years
Then the renewal went to $600 and I gave it up and it broke my heart.

f**king SFS trust - money grabbing bastards.

2002 was amazing. That feeling of winning the comp was about the best I've ever had, short of my first e, getting married and the birth of my children.

Last year felt more "normal" for a Hammers fan - but I still hated it.

The sport is such a good product that even the Super League war couldnt put me off. I wasnt weighed down with tradition and all that stuff. I used to watch the Super League games and the World Club Challenge games and the Super League tri series games. I was just chuffed that the Roosters didnt have to face that bloody Brisbane side. They were insane!

But the Roosters were who I'd chosen, so I used to go to the games (every home game).

My brother in law had a Gold Season pass for the SFS and Cricket Ground and he never used them. For $100 a season I got a Gold Members pass, a guest pass and two club passes. My mates used to come with me (from 98 through to 01) and chuck in $50 each to access the tickets for the season.

For 2 seasons I was being PAID to watch the Roosters :lol:

Then the renewal went to $200 so it cost me $50 for a year for 2 years
Then the renewal went to $600 and I gave it up and it broke my heart.

f**king SFS trust - money grabbing bastards.

2002 was amazing. That feeling of winning the comp was about the best I've ever had, short of my first e, getting married and the birth of my children.

Last year felt more "normal" for a Hammers fan - but I still hated it.

A professional football fan. If that's not Nirvana, I don't know what is.

Lambretta

First Grade
:lol: Yeah, good days indeed

Mind you, I spent more than $50 a season on beer in the members lounge.
But we did have the best seats in the house. On the balcony on the members side, above the 30 yard line, Paddington end of the ground.

Same viewpoint as the cameras, just 20 yards to one side.

There's no better vantage point to watch the Roosters smash people from.

:lol: Yeah, good days indeed

Mind you, I spent more than $50 a season on beer in the members lounge.
But we did have the best seats in the house. On the balcony on the members side, above the 30 yard line, Paddington end of the ground.

Same viewpoint as the cameras, just 20 yards to one side.

There's no better vantage point to watch the Roosters smash people from.

I've only been lucky enough to watch a game from up there a couple of times back when Adrian Lam was playing. Good view, good angle. You could almost see what Lam was about to do a nano second before he did it. I also got to take a pee with Artie Beetson. Oh the charmed member's life.:)

roosters4life

Juniors
I was 8 years old it was 98 and dad took me to parramatta stadium to watch roosters vs eels...dad is a roosters supporter and at the time i was blind folded and went for parra (only cause my friend did)...roosters won.

The following year in 99 the roosters played eels at i think the SCG and i said i will go for the winner, roosters won 15-6

Ive never looked back

I was there at homebush for the 02 grand final underneath the big screen banging on the bottom of the screen when hegs scored that try.

Ive lived the heart ache of of 03 and 04

From framed brad fittler jerseys, to thousands spent on merchandise and memberships, the roosters have now become a large part of my life

Sitting in the Chookpen screaming E-A-S-T-S blows my mind

the wooden spoon was disappointing at most, but in true roosters culture in 2010 EASTS TO WIN

THE END

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Been a Roosters fan for 3 years now. (only been following league for 5 given were i grew up) The history attracted me and i also noticed that on a lot of forums and articles the roosters were not the most popular team, so me being awkward choose them.:crazy::cool:

Lambretta

First Grade
Been a Roosters fan for 3 years now. (only been following league for 5 given were i grew up) The history attracted me and i also noticed that on a lot of forums and articles the roosters were not the most popular team, so me being awkward choose them.:crazy::cool:

What part of Northern Ireland are you in mate?

My mum was born in Larne in Antrim!

Lambretta

First Grade
from Kilkeel, about 1 hour south of belfast. but im a student in belfast at the minute.

Was talking to a mate of mine last night who lives in Belfast

He's an Aussie (Parra fan) and married a girl from Belfast and they moved over there.

He has a couple of kids who he's probably brainwashing to be Eels fans

Says ESPN are broadcasting 2 NRL games there and the Footy Show each week.

Great news for League fans living in that part of the World.

Latest posts