What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 World Cup Australia 2 Serbia 1 (Group D)

Bumble

First Grade
Ghana might be the worst team in history to make the last 16.

They were by a wide margin the worst team in our group.

weasel

First Grade
Wow, did anyone watch the Ghana-Serbia game or maybe just see the highlights? Ghana totally outplayed Serbia in that game, the only time Serbia actually looked like scoring was after they went down to ten men, before that it was always Ghana who looked the bigger threat, and they deserved the win in the end.

And today, I felt the same way about Serbia, a very limp attack, never really felt they would score against us until we were up 2-0. I didn't really watch the Germany-Serbia game, and it's mystifying to me how they won that, but having seen these other two games I'm not surprised Serbia lost to New Zealand.

Having qualified first in a group containing France really raised eyebrows, and people started to think this Serb team was really something. But this French side has been exposed as utter rubbish. In its last four games - Lost to China, lost to Mexico, lost to South Africa - teams from the three weakest confederations (and two of them actually suck). Just goes to show how we over-value European teams.

caspersparks

Juniors
and based on the last two games, we're clearly the second best side. Oh well.

I agree, also with what u said about pim's tactics..
his tactics were correct in the last 2 games..
they were wrong in the first, but also the players were very poor as well....

im very proud of the way we played today...
ghana do not deserve to be there, 2 goals from handballs... thats bullsh*t..

DB

First Grade
Who would have thought Holman would be our top goalscorer for the tournament? I wonder how much he was paying at the start of the cup?

Bittersweet win this morning, good to celebrate a win but disappointing that it wasn't enough.

Be going for Spain and Netherlands (Got money on both of them to win the whole thing), and probably England as well, as I have followed them at nearly every world cup I remember watching bar the last two.

weasel

First Grade
If you'd been told before the tournament began that we'd beat Serbia and draw with Ghana you'd be 100% sure that'd get us through to the next round. Goes to show how much of a disaster the Germany match was.

Not looking forward to some of the comments from Korean friends and co-workers. The annoying thing is our group stage was almost identical to their's, ship four goals against the big fish of the group (although Korea did play much better against the Argies than us against Germany), beat the european team and draw the african team, and well Serbia and Ghana are probably better opponents than Greece and Nigeria.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Even though we're out I am glad I watched the game. If we played like that all 3 games who knows how well we could've gone. Its upsetting that we get knocked out because a date with USA would've been on the cards, it may have been quite winnable. Now one of the USA or Ghana will make a quarter final, can't really say that either is one of the world's top 8 sides though but what an achievement for one of them.

The Dutch and the Spaniards I'm going for because their the two best teams not to have won a World Cup before.

It wasn't to be but this squad was never going to win a world cup anyway of course. A Round of 16 place was possible but we would've been lucky to get it after the German debacle. I think we need to look at the positives- We won another World Cup Finals match and we beat a Euro side at the Finals for the first time. We didn't have the luck on our side that we did in 06 nor did we have Guus Hiddink. That sums it up.

You've gotta be happy with the improvement of the last 2 games compared to the first, and what about Holman scoring a goal from outside the box in the World Cup? never thought I'd see that.

I think FIFA wanted Ghana to get through to save the embarassment of NO African nations getting through to Round 2 in an African world cup. Its as clear as day when you think about it, LOL

Last edited:

weasel

First Grade
I'm going for Spain and Chile, and at least superficially for Korea, I want them to beat Uruguay and make the QF's so my prediction is right, but I really don't want them or USA in the semis, and if Ghana makes it it'll be a bitter pill since I know the Socceroos really ought to have gotten out of the group ahead of them.

I'm thinking Argentina are gonna win it though.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I think Argentina's defense is VERY suspect, but the depth and quality of their attack is ridiculous.

Immensely proud of how we played this morning. If only the first game wasn't such a monumental f**k up...

fish eel

Immortal
I think Argentina's defense is VERY suspect, but the depth and quality of their attack is ridiculous.

Immensely proud of how we played this morning. If only the first game wasn't such a monumental f**k up...

Martin Demichellis is an accident waiting to happen

Red Bear

Referee
Pity we f**ked the first game right up, because the last two have been much better. If only we'd snuck that second goal against Ghana

Well done Chippers on a great career for Australia, and that was probably the last we'll see of Moore, Kewell, Grella, Bresciano at least.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
that was a quality performance with two very well taken goals.

some good signs for the next four years, a bit of a cleanout needed. look better than the frogs do.

Wow, did anyone watch the Ghana-Serbia game or maybe just see the highlights? Ghana totally outplayed Serbia in that game, the only time Serbia actually looked like scoring was after they went down to ten men, before that it was always Ghana who looked the bigger threat, and they deserved the win in the end.

And today, I felt the same way about Serbia, a very limp attack, never really felt they would score against us until we were up 2-0. I didn't really watch the Germany-Serbia game, and it's mystifying to me how they won that, but having seen these other two games I'm not surprised Serbia lost to New Zealand.

Having qualified first in a group containing France really raised eyebrows, and people started to think this Serb team was really something. But this French side has been exposed as utter rubbish. In its last four games - Lost to China, lost to Mexico, lost to South Africa - teams from the three weakest confederations (and two of them actually suck). Just goes to show how we over-value European teams.

All I'm going to say is you obviously didn't watch this mornings match.

In the first half, Serbia should've been up about 2/3 - 0, easily. Schwarzer, some bad luck with offsides and terrible finishing cost them. I don't know how you can not fancy the Serbian side. I thought they were clearly the second best in the group, and bar the bad piece of luck they had this morning, they would've been through.

I'd rather be gracious in victory than be a fool like you just made yourself there.

lolesi

First Grade
Good performance and something to be proud of from this world cup.

We gained alot of respect from that performance and as everyone has already said bout other results etc. all ifs and buts.

Interesting to see where now for Australia.. I dont know what our team will look like in 2014..

shiznit

Coach
hard luck to the Roos.... you blokes have set the standard for teams down our way... hopefully we can keep it up...

just on Serbia... you gotta feel for them... lost to Ghana because of a hand ball call... got a man sent off against germany because of a handball call... and miss the second round because they didnt get a handball call...

actually thinking about it... with Germany getting away with one this morning v Ghana and Kewell's one V Ghana... you blokes were in the Handball group..

People overrated the Serbia side. Its clear that they are a very good side on paper but failing at big tournaments is nothing new for Eastern European teams. The Czech Republic 4 years ago were a powerhouse on paper and they got knocked out of the group, the Russians can't even get to the World Cup, The Poles a few years ago were rated a decent side and were terrible. Eastern European sides unfortunately don't deliver at big tournaments most of the time. Its all Western Europe and South America in reality.