What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So, who's gonna stop the Dragons?

pantherz9103

First Grade
The competition seems piss poor this year.

Is that just because the Storm got their points taken away? :? so the comp will be so much better next season when the Storm are playing for points again eh?

This is the best comp for me since 2004, at last my team is playing like a team and winning more games than not. I'm not reading much into our win over the Dragons other than I was delighted with the effort and they finally beat the Dragons at Kogarah. Both sides were severely understrength and the Panthers probably moreso so it was a priceless 2 points for us. Dragons do tend to struggle when they go behind more than you'd think a top team should but way too early to say that they will fall away like last season. Their defence is still excellent and at full strength they are better in attack than last year. They are far from unbeatable though, the key to beating them is to get in front and frustrate them with a physical game and good kick chase. Basically to beat them at their own game. I'm not sure how far Penrith will go this season, I'm still keeping expectations modest despite us being equal 1st, but last night we showed how you can stop the Dragons.

Last edited:

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Anyone who looks at that game as a guide to the Dragons vulnerabilities will be sadly mistaken. But it is getting to the time where the wheels start falling off.

Slackboy72

Coach
The competition seems piss poor this year.

Hate to say it but I agree.
There are two reasonably good sides (Dragons and Panthers), seven inconsistently mediocre sides, six god-awful sides and one side chock full of salary-cap-cheating stars.
This year is one of the most dissappointing in recent memory in terms of quality. Prima facie one would look to blame it on the dearth of quality halves and hookers yet the best half in the game is running around with one of the worst performing teams and then cronk and c.smith aren't playing for anything after tomorrow night (except maybe a new kitchen). After those three the playmaker stakes are the worst I've seen in league for longer than I've been watching the game (30+ years).
Maybe TYC is to blame.

eagles4eva

First Grade
The only ones who will stop the Dragons are themsleves, based on thier team list they are soild with stars all over the park..

Gaba

First Grade
from 2007 the comp started to go into freefall of the number of competitive teams

looking at this year majority of teams are in the negative due to lack of defense , attack or both.

And most teams are only 1 or 2 man attack sides.

Dragons , panthers , Broncos and manly at near full strength have more options then 2 players in attack

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
from 2007 the comp started to go into freefall of the number of competitive teams

looking at this year majority of teams are in the negative due to lack of defense , attack or both.

And most teams are only 1 or 2 man attack sides.

Dragons , panthers , Broncos and manly at near full strength have more options then 2 players in attack

the dragons have boyd

fullstop

Gaba

First Grade
the dragons have boyd

fullstop

soward , hornby , gasnier , nightingale and morris are capable of coming in and take the pressure off the halves to make something happen

People continue to underrate hornby , he is more vital then people think

Vic Mackey

Referee
soward , hornby , gasnier , nightingale and morris are capable of coming in and take the pressure off the halves to make something happen

People continue to underrate hornby , he is more vital then people think

as was evidenced last night

:roll:

thommo4pm

Coach
Is that just because the Storm got their points taken away? :? so the comp will be so much better next season when the Storm are playing for points again eh?

This is the best comp for me since 2004, at last my team is playing like a team and winning more games than not. I'm not reading much into our win over the Dragons other than I was delighted with the effort and they finally beat the Dragons at Kogarah. Both sides were severely understrength and the Panthers probably moreso so it was a priceless 2 points for us. Dragons do tend to struggle when they go behind more than you'd think a top team should but way too early to say that they will fall away like last season. Their defence is still excellent and at full strength they are better in attack than last year. They are far from unbeatable though, the key to beating them is to get in front and frustrate them with a physical game and good kick chase. Basically to beat them at their own game. I'm not sure how far Penrith will go this season, I'm still keeping expectations modest despite us being equal 1st, but last night we showed how you can stop the Dragons.

:? please explain that one for us?
Boyd, Morris, Cooper, Scott, Costigan, Weyman, Smith, Fien, Hunt

How exactly were you more understrength?

thommo4pm

Coach
as was evidenced last night

:roll:

Gasnier had 3 training sessions with the side, he was hardly going to have an impact on the game.
Nightingale was out of position, Soward set up our trys (although played poorly before that), Hornby didn't have a happy match.
Hornby & Soward were behind a beaten pack for the 1st 60 minutes.

Possibly a different story when you throw Weyman, Smith, Costigan, Scott & Fien back into the side(pack) in a few weeks.

Anyway, the better side won. I'll be interested to see how Penrith go against NZ, Parra, Tigers, Roosters, & Melbourne all coming games for them. From memory they play Souths again also.
I just have a feeling that penrith this year are similar to Saints last year.
Time will tell.

both our play makers, best attacking centre in the game, best prop in the game and best goal kicker in the game

watatank

Coach
Who was the other playmaker?

The Dragons were hit harder with injuries to key forwards which was one of the main differences between the teams. It didn't help that only one of our outside backs is a regular. They still should've won despite that, but to say one team was more understrength than another is neither here nor there.

STG-Dragon

Juniors
I'm not reading much into our win over the Dragons.
last night we showed how you can stop the Dragons.
Both sides were severely understrength and the Panthers probably moreso so it was a priceless 2 points for us.

Sounds like you have contradicted yourself there by saying you are not reading to much into the game by firstly admitting both sides were understrength and then by saying you just showed how to beat us :crazy:. How can you say that when you have just admitted playing a very understrength side??? And no way the Panthers were more understrength than the Dragons.

Last edited:

pantherz9103

First Grade

We were missing Petero, Lewis, Jennings, Gordon, Walsh, Elford. We had to play with a halves combo of Burns/Graham compared to your established Soward/Hornby combination. You still had players like Creagh and Young. We were missing Jennings, while you were able to bring Gasnier into your side. You were hot favourites to beat us. I think it was a big win for us against the odds.

Latest posts