What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our great games positive future

Bulldog Force

Referee
Ok this is just my 2 cents on a few topics in our world of Rugby League at the moment. Feel free to add/comment/critisize - just calling it as I see it.

The Future:
The future of our competition the NRL looks very very bright. We will be the first code in this country to sign a billion dollar tv rights contract, either 1 contract for the billion or 2 ()combined. This has not happened yet in AFL and a milestone that our game will have proudly achieved first.

Our Juniors:

Despite Channel 9 trying to kill our game, with stories they've televised on ACA and what have you, they know they'll lost the next contract, however the juniors... well as far as I'm concerned they're looking as good as they've ever been. The junior teams in our Toyota Cup comp look great. The ARL has injected a lot of money into this competition and it's very first season was very successful. The junior talent we have will never die. It seems that any potential threat to our junior ranks has been quashed with the success of the new Toyota Competition, and we've also managed to salvage some history with our NSW/QLD cup competitions.

AFL/Rugby:
I don't think that we have anything to worry about here. AFL will be throwing hundreds of millions of dollars into a marketing scheme that will never work. The Swans took 70+ years to win their first major, and it didn't threat our code one bit. I highly doubt that having an AFL team in West Sydney will do any damage either. League is something you're born with. AFL is also something that you're born with. You can't persuade someone to cross codes (as a child) with only marketing, you need more. Blood is thicker than water. I also believe that the 18 team competition is a scramble technique that the AFL come up with to try and counter attack threats from the NRL - with the recent success of Melbourne from 2006-2010 (and yes taking into account the salary cap drama) AFL have wanted to hit our heartland in Western Sydney as our game was very successful down there (until the SC revelations came out). And with the success of the Titans in only 4 years, the AFL have also scrambled throwing a franchise up there to try and counter any NRL success. I think the ship has sailed though (for the AFL :D)

Expansion:

Look at how many more places the game has to expand - Central Coast, North Coast, Central Queensland, Perth, Adelaide, Tassie, PNG (just to name a few) - yet the AFL have pretty much hit their peak with only 18 teams.

My final thoughts:
To put it simply, "Our game is here to stay!"

Tom Ace

Bench
1238409599_nom_nom.gif

Last edited:

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Rugby is no threat? they got 70,000 to a meaningless dead rubber Bledisloe cup match when NRL finals matches were on

Imagine when the Super 15 starts up and there are more local Aussie derbies,some fans of both codes will choose a Super 15 match over a NRL match.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Rugby is no threat? they got 70,000 to a meaningless dead rubber Bledisloe cup match when NRL finals matches were on

Imagine when the Super 15 starts up and there are more local Aussie derbies,some fans of both codes will choose a Super 15 match over a NRL match.
Off you go then.

taipan

Referee

;-)

WaznTheGreat

Referee
like who? LOL. Super Rugby is no match for the NRL.

Yeah super rugby is no match for the amazing 16,668 that the Panthers/Raiders drew in a finals match or the brilliant 15,574 that the Dragons/Sea Eagles drew in there finals match or the equally fantastic 23,459 that the Roosters/Panthers drew last week

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

sarahk

Juniors
I agree with you in relation to AFL being no threat in Western Sydney. Im yet to meet someone over here that actually finds it interesting unless they were born and raised in Melb. I somehow cannot see Parramatta, Blacktown and Penrith locals giving up on NRL to take up an interest in AFL. The AFL is too strongly stereotyped as a girly sport here and i dont think thats going to change.

As for them infiltrating the young kids...well my brother brought home an AFL pack from the Auskick program he received at school and immediately threw it in the bin. I asked him why, and he said 'kids at school get teased if they play it'. I think its fair to say NRL is here to stay.

BuffaloRules

Coach

You are an absolute hoax....

One Union team in NSW struggles to get 20k to a game....

And yet no one watches Super 14 or the Bledisloe on TV. No threat whatsoever. In actuality, Union is losing popularity.

BuffaloRules

Coach
genius,some NRL finals matches struggle to get 20k

See Panthers/Raiders,Dragons/Sea Eagles

Plod plod you go dope

Felcher - here is some news for you....

70,000 are going to an NRL semi final this weekend...

Come back to me when a Stupor 14/15 game in Sydney gets
half that...

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Congrats did you forget to mention the 33,315 that the Tigers and Roosters got,not even close to a full house in a small stadium,did you forget to mention the 16,668 that the Panthers/Raiders got? not even close to a packed house in a tiny stadium,did you forget to mention the 15,574 that the Dragons/Sea Eagles got?

Oh thats right one 70k crowd makes all the shockers invisible and like they never happened.:lol::lol:

BuffaloRules

Coach
One crowd of 70K?

Mate 80K will be there next week...

Also Origin...

It seems to me that you are hanging YOUR hat on one Union crowd a year going to the Bledisloe...

I remember when they used to sell that out too..- seems like only yesterday...:lol::lol: (I an use emoticons too!!!)

WaznTheGreat

Referee
You realise the Queensland Reds averaged over 22k last season and they only played two Aussie teams at home right? You realise they mainly played teams from other countries that Aussies don't care about right?

You don't think more local Aussie derbies can help increase there crowd averages? :lol::lol::lol:

Super rugby no threat:lol:

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Does this dope realise the reason that the Panthers/Raiders,Tigers/Roosters games got shocking finals crowds was because of the Bledisloe Cup

You realise that means people would rather see the Wallabies lose a dead rubber match and there 10 loss in a row to the Kiwis over a NRL finals match right?

BuffaloRules

Coach
Go and tell Peter Fitzsimmons, Spiro and the other Rah Rahs that the Bloodyslow game was a dead rubber ( as if such a thing could exist when the world famous in NZ all blecks are in town...)!!

Have you got the QLD Reds crowds for last year, or are their fans just bandwagoners like youreslf?