What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallop on the 7:30 report

I haven't seen the interview, but I cannot believe the interviewer brought the Costello thing in reference to RL (actually yes I can)

Gallop should've fired back about that.

LEIGH SALES: The former federal Treasurer Peter Costello recently wrote a newspaper column in which he criticised the way footballers are set up as role models, and he wrote, "Any right-thinking parent would quake with fear to hear that footballers were coming to their daughter's school to give a little bit of inspiration." What do you think of that?

DAVID GALLOP: I think it's a bit unfair and a bit unrealistic. The fact is if kids are gonna go into the backyard and try to copy a Benji Marshall flick pass, then they're gonna take notice of the things that our players do off the field. You can't opt out of being a role model is one of the things I say to our players. They have to accept that it's part and parcel of what they're doing.

Costello was making a point about footballers as role models - essentially that being good at kicking and passing a football doesn't equip them to be life coaches. Yes, he used AFL to illustrate the point - because he's from Melbourne and football is AFL there, and no doubt because player behaviour was in the news. Costello as a mexican probably doesn't give a sh*t about RL except as a figure of fun when someone stuffs up - in common with about 95% of people down there.

What was Gallop supposed to say? "Nothing to do with me, that's only AFL". (and by implication thats saying "our players are better than theirs", which is pretty hard to defend and setting himself up for the next time some idiot f**ks up.

I thought he handled the point ok.

The question about match fixing should have been pulled up straight away and identified more forcefully at spot fixing. I know Gallop gave the analogy of no balls in cricket, but he should have said there are no problems of match fixing in rugby league.

Given that there is an active police investigation and people associated with league have been charged with crimes concerning match fixing, you can't really say there is no problem. There is a problem, the extent of which is still unknown. Gallop says otherwise, and if more comes to light than Tandy, Ayoub and co, he's going to have that thrown back in his face.

He said, correctly, that we take it very seriously. If he denies the problem he looks like the Pakistani cricket chairman = foolish.

Match fixing/spot fixing, is splitting hairs. Both are cheating. It's hard to run a sensible argument that one is worse than the other, it sounds like "a little bit of cheating is ok, but don't go too far". Better to say cheating is wrong and we condemn it, rather than be wishy washy and say " well yes, but, its only spot fixing..."

undertaker

Coach
I can't believe the mole had the nerve to as Gallop twice about Costello's comments even though they were in regard to the AFL hence the term "girls" in the quote in reference to the St. Kilda school girl...

Yeah, that part really infuriated me when I heard that. Leigh Sales deliberately took that article out of context to try and tar the NRL with the same brush, when Costello never made any reference to the NRL and was clearly saying what he said in reference to the St Kilda club scandal. I say she 'deliberately' did, because she would have read that article in order to make some reference to it (Costello's quotes) in her interview with Gallop.

Pure agenda-driven dribble from the ABC. Can't believe that tax-payer's money goes towards funding what so many people believe to be as 'fair-and-balanced' reporting.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
Look it was a straight out hatchet/stitch up job on the NRL.No mention of the AFL by the bird interviewing,no mention of their incidents.One could infer from the interview that rugby league was the only code with offfield incoidents
Has any one got the email address for the 4 Corners mob, for commenting on that interview?
One thing about the ABC ,when it has a bias ,it is consistent with that bias.Watch the Offsiders on a sunday morning,with the AFL sycophants and you may get the message.
The only thing going for them is radio with David Morrow et al.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Costello was making a point about footballers as role models - essentially that being good at kicking and passing a football doesn't equip them to be life coaches. Yes, he used AFL to illustrate the point - because he's from Melbourne and football is AFL there, and no doubt because player behaviour was in the news. Costello as a mexican probably doesn't give a sh*t about RL except as a figure of fun when someone stuffs up - in common with about 95% of people down there.

What was Gallop supposed to say? "Nothing to do with me, that's only AFL". (and by implication thats saying "our players are better than theirs", which is pretty hard to defend and setting himself up for the next time some idiot f**ks up.

f**k off you stupid AFL twat

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/so...who-dare-question-the-afl-20110301-1bd44.html

Big men fly into a fury at those who dare question the AFL
Peter Costello
March 2, 2011

The footy industry thinks its self-appointed moral role is beyond criticism.

A fortnight ago I wrote that footballers were not necessarily good role models and that following the scandal surrounding St Kilda players and a Melbourne teenager, parents would "quake with fear" to hear their daughters were learning "life skills" from players. There were howls of protest from the football industry. And there was the reaction of everybody else.

Outside the football world, these comments were regarded as pretty obvious. Of thousands who voted in online polls, the support for my comments was two to one. One senior editor told me: "I don't know anyone who disagrees with you." Obviously he doesn't listen to talkback radio.

The football industry - by which I mean the administrators, the players, the journalists and all those who earn their income one way or another from professional football - was incensed. I hadn't realised how many ex-players have radio shows until their producers rang wanting my response as they queued, one after the other, to berate me over the airwaves. Then TV reporters discovered that Collingwood players had criticised me on Twitter. They wanted to know how I responded to these tweets, which they ran as news stories on the evening TV bulletins! The next day, sports columnists were opining on my character and whether I had any qualification (they decided I didn't) to talk about philanthropy.

The AFL Players Association was murmuring about the need for an apology. The Professional Footballers Association demanded a meeting to set me straight.

The federal Sports Minister Mark Arbib jumped in to say that footballers make wonderful role models and to attack me. He wanted to ingratiate himself with the industry. Arbib was assistant general secretary of the New South Wales Labor Party when Milton Orkopoulos was elected as the Labor member for Swansea in the NSW Parliament. Orkopoulos is now serving a minimum jail term of nine years for supplying drugs and having sex with three teenagers - which shows what a serious crime that is and how there are politicians who have engaged in disgraceful conduct, too.

But what struck me most was that there is a total disconnect between how the industry sees itself and how the broader public sees it.

There are now a large number of people who derive their income from managing players, or reporting on them, who need to stroke the players and administrators to get access. They form a cheer squad of spruikers and boosters. Like any subculture, they defend insiders and turn on those who break the taboo of the group. And it was taboo for me to suggest that football is not quite the civilising agent the industry believes it to be.

I am used to media criticism, but if you are a young journalist whose job is to get a football story every day, it can be quite intimidating to go against the groupthink - especially if you know your competitor is playing to the powers of the industry. The female journalists were different but some of the male sports journalists were hysterical in condemning me.

Then came the news that ex-player and now player manager Ricky Nixon had been in a hotel room visiting the 17-year-old girl who first met some players he managed when they came to her school as part of a program on "community leadership". Nixon maintained he had gone around to help the troubled youngster - a community-minded response to a person in need. The girl claims they had sex and took drugs together. She has released footage to back her story.

Those touting the moral role of the AFL fell silent. Then, after nearly two weeks, the chief executive of the AFL, Andrew Demetriou, came out to distance himself from Nixon. He was, he said, "disappointed". Other words that might have come to mind would be "appalled" or "disgusted". But it was a significant signal nonetheless. It signalled that Nixon could be dumped. He is on his own. There will be no more official protection for him. If they have finished on me, the Collingwood players can now tweet against him.

A number of the players who passed through the Nixon stable developed drug problems - Ben Cousins, Wayne Carey and Gary Ablett snr (a young woman tragically died in Ablett's hotel room while he was under the influence of drugs).

What kind of a message was Nixon giving them about drug use? What kind of message is the AFL giving its managers? Is the policy of tolerance of first and second drug offences really helping the players? Is it a good example to young people generally?

A brave journalist could take up these issues. They should not expect a polite reaction from the industry. But everybody else would be interested in some real answers.

Brutus

Referee

Read Costello's article again moron.

E.T.D

Juniors
I wonder how many people fully have read Costello's original article.

That's the one that Leigh Sales used as the basis of her questioning, which was handled well by Gallop. At least she showed Gallop some respect by letting him answer her questions fully and without interruption. Compare her interview with the abortion later on on OneHD where the complete opposite happened.

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/so...-heaven-brought-to-you-by-20110215-1av0t.html

El Diablo

Post Whore
Football is AFL to Costello and his article was a result of St Kilda who are an AFL team

read

A fortnight ago I wrote that footballers were not necessarily good role models and that following the scandal surrounding St Kilda players and a Melbourne teenager, parents would "quake with fear" to hear their daughters were learning "life skills" from players.

You can see he meant that by his second article

Leigh Sales used his article to say he was talking about Rugby League and then had a question clearly meaning after parents read it that parents would prefer their kids played other sports

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2011/s3160958.htm

LEIGH SALES: The former federal Treasurer Peter Costello recently wrote a newspaper column in which he criticised the way footballers are set up as role models, and he wrote, "Any right-thinking parent would quake with fear to hear that footballers were coming to their daughter's school to give a little bit of inspiration." What do you think of that?

DAVID GALLOP: I think it's a bit unfair and a bit unrealistic. The fact is if kids are gonna go into the backyard and try to copy a Benji Marshall flick pass, then they're gonna take notice of the things that our players do off the field. You can't opt out of being a role model is one of the things I say to our players. They have to accept that it's part and parcel of what they're doing.

LEIGH SALES: What about Peter Costello's remarks that parents would baulk at allowing their kids to adopt footballers as role models?

DAVID GALLOP: As I said before, I think there is an acceptance now that players are active in community programs. Things like our reading programs, our nutrition programs - those things are noticeably making a difference.

LEIGH SALES: Do you think that the parent of a seven-year-old boy would think, "OK, rugby league's a good thing to get him into." Are they gonna be looking at the programs you've got or are they gonna be looking at what they're seeing on the front page of the Sunday Telegraph every other week?

that is why she only mentioned Rugby League

she would have known Costello was talking about AFL but was pushing the agenda driven ABC's anti RL message

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
errrr i just said what it was you AFL twat

see last night

see Offsiders

see 4C

see articles written by ABC twats

Football is AFL to Costello and his article was a result of St Kilda who are an AFL team

read

You can see he meant that by his second article

Leigh Sales used his article to say he was talking about Rugby League and then had a question clearly meaning after parents read it that parents would prefer their kids played other sports

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2011/s3160958.htm

that is why she only mentioned Rugby League

she would have known Costello was talking about AFL but was pushing the agenda driven ABC's anti RL message

She was hardly going to ask Gallop a bunch of questions about AFL was she?

Hands up?

No way. Hands down guys, right onto your c0cks and start pulling.

IF you think gallops interview was a failure or you are overly critical of it, you're the twit.

Same.

Latest posts