What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cronulla resigned to losing Kade Snowden to Newcastle Knights with Nathan Tinkler tak

azzah72

Bench
Cronulla seem resigned to losing Kade Snowden to Newcastle Knights, especially with a cashed-up Nathan Tinkler tipped to become the new Knights club owner on Thursday night.

The 3000 Knights members have been invited to the Newcastle Entertainment Centre to vote on the Tinkler takeover plan, with 75 per cent needed to approve the proposal.

Former players such as Andrew Johns and Paul Harragon and current squad member Adam MacDougall have urged members to embrace Tinkler.

The mining giant is worth $610 million according to BRW magazine's "Young Rich List", which means he has the cash to tempt Snowden, 25, a Newcastle junior.

It is understood Newcastle Knights are offering $2 million over four years for Snowden, who made his NSW Origin debut last season.

Do you approve of the imminent Nathan Tinkler takeover? Post your view at the bottom of the page.

But for the time being, Snowden is part of a robust forward pack with Luke Douglas and internationals Jeremy Smith, Paul Gallen and Anthony Tupou, who have been the nucleus of the 2-1 start to the season after losing in round one. The last time the Sharks, who finished 14th and 15th the past two years, strung two wins together was mid-2009.

The difference this year is young halves Wade Graham and Albert Kelly working off the back of those quality forwards.

"I still think there's a lot of improvement in those two players. But they will get better," coach Shane Flanagan said.

Graham, who arrived from an "up-and-down" three years at Penrith, as he put it, is hitting his straps at No 7 with Kelly at No 6.

They came together like a blind date in the pre-season and played only 40 minutes in a trial game before round one. Now they appear like an old married couple such is the connection between them.

Another player reigniting his form is backrower Tupou, who had a mixed season last year after the death of his sister from cancer.

"He's put on 3kg of muscle and he's feeling confident within himself," Flanagan said.

Tupou last played for NSW and Australia in 2008.

Round four takes the Sharks for a "home" game to Taupo in New Zealand on Saturday against the winless Warriors. It was a deal done by the previous club administration in the hope of better crowds and gate takings.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...tinkler-takeover/story-e6frf3ou-1226030498508

cb4

First Grade
That article loses credit when they say the previous board was credited for organising our NZ games.

As for Kade, 500k is alot of money for a prop who hasn't played for his country.

Adam Blair, Sika Manu, James Graham are all on the market, and should be looked at by the sharks.

$500 grand a year?!?!?!?!???
sounds like someone needs a Brian Smith "bent over" media conference.
I wonder if they will tell him that they love him.

azzah72

Bench
I'd say the deal is back ended, as much as i love snow and i wished he was loyal, money talks and theres not much we can do about that, i'd love to keep our current forward pack for a few more years.

Otherwise I'd def be going for blair or manu, or using that money to resign mannah, peachy, frizzel, reilly, cordoba*, b.wright* & clayton

*subject to form, if they keep going the way they are going now then i'm all for it.

Quigs

Immortal
Looks like just another newspaper story to me, the same as what the dished out awhile ago.

"seems resigned" - "it is understood"

Wait and see for me.

If it is true I hope someone has told Schueys guidedog that he better start sniffing some cabinets again.

Idris, Snowey, and a few others.

Hmmmmmmmmm

Megalodon

Juniors
Round four takes the Sharks for a "home" game to Taupo in New Zealand on Saturday against the winless Warriors. It was a deal done by the previous club administration in the hope of better crowds and gate takings.

Wrong

Wrong

Wow, well researched!

More dribble coming out of The Australian.

Their Sports section is just poo served up as cake.

fizman

Bench
Well if Tinkler is "Buying back the Farm" I say that we should get Keith Galloway back to the Sharkies.

Megalodon

Juniors
Technically, if Tinkler does intend to "Buy Back The Farm" shouldn't he be spending his money ensuring that the Newcastle local juniors have a solid and professional development program.

To use the farming analogy: shouldn't he be keeping the young sprouts in the close care of the glasshouse and making sure that they're ready to transplant rather than go buy all ready cropped players?

Or is all of this a load of bovine manure and pork-barrelling.

If you go to bed with pigs be prepared to wake up smelling like a pig's arse.

Special K

Coach
Galloway re-signed with the tiggers last year for another 3 years and won't be on the market until 2013.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ith-wests-tigers/story-e6frexnr-1225841382954

If we lose Snowie maybe we look at moving Gallen into a prop and bringing back Birdy? I'd prefer us going for another aggressive prop though if we have to see Kade leave but I am not sold on Blair being a prop, I see him more as a backrower who can play prop.

Losing Snowden will suck.

kadesnowden_gallery__470x352.jpg

Mansharkie

Juniors
why not use the money on Snowy & buy 2 up & coming props such as fafita from the tigers & Kasiano from the dogs, 2 for the price of one & up grade Mannah.

In the last couple of years we've bought three of the most prominent up-and-comers in Vave,Clayton and Mannah. An old hard-head maybe the answer until these three, hopefully, fulfill their potential.

perverse

Referee
Technically, if Tinkler does intend to "Buy Back The Farm" shouldn't he be spending his money ensuring that the Newcastle local juniors have a solid and professional development program.

To use the farming analogy: shouldn't he be keeping the young sprouts in the close care of the glasshouse and making sure that they're ready to transplant rather than go buy all ready cropped players?

Or is all of this a load of bovine manure and pork-barrelling.

If you go to bed with pigs be prepared to wake up smelling like a pig's arse.
just a bit of musing on this:

the current situation seems to be that Snowden has been approached by Tinkler and told to "wait"... Idris is being (and has been) courted by the current Knights admin, and it's unknown - but generally assumed that Tinkler will follow through and either continue to chase or sign Idris as well. the rest of the "farm" is, to be honest, not really on the radar. Bird might come into consideration, primarily due to the nature of his contract up north. i think the "buy back the farm" thing has been a little overhyped. more money will become available to the Knights for players under the Tinkler regime through 3rd party sponsors and the idea seems to be that the new "excess" money will be spent on local talent. i don't think it's going to be an ongoing zealous mission to have every Newcastle junior back at the club, it'll be a couple of straight up signings to bridge a couple of gaps and then the focus will shift back to the juniors.

the biggest reason we are chasing Snowy is that we need a class prop above all else. the Knights admin, independant of Tinkler, did chase and subsequently drop off the race for Snowy. the fact that there is a genuine class prop that also happens to be a junior on the market makes him the perfect target, much to the detriment of you blokes i might add.

i've been heavily involved as a resource to the Tinkler bid and have attended a few of focus groups etc. the primary themes that keep coming up from TSG (Tinkler Sports Group for the uninitiated) are that they are going to be dumping sh*tloads of attention not just on Knights juniors, but to the "Real NRL" (Newcastle Rugby League), too. there is a good chance that Newcastle will finally be able to consolidate a lot of it's leadership regarding Rugby League in the area, and i would say pathways for juniors will be streamlined and facilities and processes available to them considerably updated, too.

just my 2c and a bit of knowledge.

adamkungl

Immortal
$500k for a young prop is f**king ridiculous. I have a feeling Tinkler is going to set a new high standard for 'accounting' in the NRL...he'll put us and the Broncos to shame :lol:

Latest posts