What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Saints? (The Ben Kusto Cup)

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
cgon304l.jpg

Well you seemed to have missed the point about why clubs should or shouldn't name their side on Tuesday.

They're only obliged to supply jersey numbers. There's no rule saying those numbers have to correspond to positions on the field, especially because the positions themselves are fluid.

What's stopping Kearney from giving the players completely random jersey numbers and then just running them out where they were always going to be playing anyway?

Hindy packs attacking scrums at hooker with Keating at the back. Would it make any difference if Hindy wore 9 with Keating at 13? How about Hayne packing defensive scrums at lock? Why can't he wear 13?

They're just numbers mate. They don't have to mean anything and in a lot of cases they've stopped the punters from understanding the evolution of the game.

Gronk

Staff member
Well you seemed to have missed the point about why clubs should or shouldn't name their side on Tuesday.

They're only obliged to supply jersey numbers. There's no rule saying those numbers have to correspond to positions on the field, especially because the positions themselves are fluid.

What's stopping Kearney from giving the players completely random jersey numbers and then just running them out where they were always going to be playing anyway?

Hindy packs attacking scrums at hooker with Keating at the back. Would it make any difference if Hindy wore 9 with Keating at 13? How about Hayne packing defensive scrums at lock? Why can't he wear 13?

They're just numbers mate. They don't have to mean anything and in a lot of cases they've stopped the punters from understanding the evolution of the game.

rman5276l.jpg

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
in all honesty, why?

he offered little the other night and we clearly need extra grunt off the bench, really hope Webb plays...

If another dummy-half comes into the side it might be for Allgood.

I doubt we'll go with 3 front-rowers off the bench.

True EEL

Bench
i don't really understand SK's selections though, sure we need a team for the future and Chris Walker is getting up there whereas Morgan is young, but IMHO Walker was an attacking spark last week and was trying things with Jarryd and was great the week before against the Sharks....offering much more than turnstile Morgan atm....

and if he really is picking young guys for the future, its actually a contradiction then to keep playing Casey at 5/8 and leaving Morts in Wenty?!

True EEL

Bench
If another dummy-half comes into the side it might be for Allgood.

I doubt we'll go with 3 front-rowers off the bench.

no fair enough, but realistically Shack/Allgood give you either a 2nd rower or a front rower (not that there is much difference these days anyway)

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
i don't really understand SK's selections though, sure we need a team for the future and Chris Walker is getting up there whereas Morgan is young, but IMHO Walker was an attacking spark last week and was trying things with Jarryd and was great the week before against the Sharks....offering much more than turnstile Morgan atm....

and if he really is picking young guys for the future, its actually a contradiction then to keep playing Casey at 5/8 and leaving Morts in Wenty?!

Morts' confidence is at the point where playing for Wenty will do him more good than harm.

Don't forget, Casey at 6 will also help Loko and Lasalo's development on the left side.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
no fair enough, but realistically Shack/Allgood give you either a 2nd rower or a front rower (not that there is much difference these days anyway)

They do, but if Hindy needs a rest in the middle there's still Horo who would otherwise only be sharing 80 minutes with Lasalo.

True EEL

Bench
Morts' confidence is at the point where playing for Wenty will do him more good than harm.

Don't forget, Casey at 6 will also help Loko and Lasalo's development on the left side.

look, granted i did say that knowing that Casey playing there at the moment may well be the best for the side at the moment and take your point about guiding those guys around - but still i can't understand the apparent double standards in the selection policy at the moment

if Casey is better for the team right now than Morts, then Walker is def better for the team than Morgan right now....???

i do agree that a short stint at Wenty really should lift Morts' confidence though, apparently he had a pretty good game on the weekend

True EEL

Bench
They do, but if Hindy needs a rest in the middle there's still Horo who would otherwise only be sharing 80 minutes with Lasalo.

yeah i know what you mean, but at the moment, we really need extra amunition of the bench as there is a drop off when Fui/Timk come off, much like there used to be when Cayless/Fui came off when they were going well (before Timmy started picking up the slack) and honestly, as good as Hindy is, he should be being brought off and rested at this stage of his career, and i think it may even benefit the team

eel01s

Bench
I like the side as named, except I think we should have Mitchell of the bench. I do hope Loko and Webb play though.

Eels Dude

Coach

Well he cannot play our future 5'8th because he's still contracted to the Bulldogs.

forward pass

Coach
Ok - my turn to be pedantic but why doesn't someone start a new thread when the official side is named rather than in a thread created days ago for peoples opinions on who should be playing!!

I know the title is technically correct but I dont want to have to trawl through all the nonsense to find the actual team.

End rant !

DeanPay98

Juniors
Ok - my turn to be pedantic but why doesn't someone start a new thread when the official side is named rather than in a thread created days ago for peoples opinions on who should be playing!!

I know the title is technically correct but I dont want to have to trawl through all the nonsense to find the actual team.

End rant !

That sounds like common sense!! I'm with you on this one.

Latest posts