What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Foxtel should have ALL games not NONE

Foxtel can have all the games as long as they pay more for the NRL than they did for the AFL.

NRL is the best rating program they have and they have been getting it for chicken feed under the previous deal.

The NBN if rolled out quick enough we see competition to Foxtel as the NBN gives cable access to almost every home in Australia.

New pay tv providers will start when the NBN is in and what better product to have than NRL, the best rating sport in Australia.

The NRL if smart will do a 3 year deal to provide all the games on free to air. Also do a deal with Telstra for mobile rights as well.

At the end of that deal the money that Foxtel our another pay tv provider will be the NRL will be massive.

I hope the NRL get rid of Foxtel unless they stump up massive cash (I would only accept a bigger deal than the AFL got).

adamkungl

Immortal
Cbf reading the article but based on the last few years Gyngell can f**k off and die for all I care

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Cbf reading the article
He's basically just starting his campaign to pay as little for the rights as possible.

"I love league and we want it on 9, but..."

but based on the last few years Gyngell can f**k off and die for all I care
Agreed. I think the NRL need to go into negotiations remembering that 9 have been arseholes and not cared about the game, instead of going in thinking that they have a great relationship with them and that they're all great mates.

Extend the breaks before line drop outs to give the defending team a rest? Pff, f**k that. Don't see how it's relevant as nine only show 1 out of 3 games live ATM.

Anyone on here got any ideas as to how to increase ad revenue without attacking the integrity of the game?

azsportza

Live Update Team
The ads from FTA need to go. I'm sorry but I hate watching ads during "live" coverage via Channel 9. It might seem a lot to have Foxtel, and yes it is, however for the coverage that Fox Sports gives it is money well spent.

I can't believe that we have people like David Gyngell who seem to be running the game, and not David Gallop. A TV STATION SHOULD NOT DETERMINE which matches are played where and when. Yes the NRL is a business, but without the fans they have nothing. Channel 9 have had their chance and it's time they got out because they have done nothing for the game. IMO

azsportza

Live Update Team
Extend the breaks before line drop outs to give the defending team a rest? Pff, f**k that. Don't see how it's relevant as nine only show 1 out of 3 games live ATM.

Anyone on here got any ideas as to how to increase ad revenue without attacking the integrity of the game?

Yes let's play NFL >< That is the reason David Gyngell must be culled from the game and Channel 9 needs to be BOOTED as far as possible so they can't ruin the great game anymore.

I hate Channel 9 with a passion, It seem that Gyngell has Gallop in his back pocket. I personally believe that sport has no place on free to air TV anymore because of what NINE has done to the game. I don't think it is possible for them to have anymore ads. The 9:30PM delayed timeslot has become a joke. there is more ads then match time imo.

azsportza

Live Update Team
Also my favourite quote from this article...

''What I'm saying is Channel Nine will not be losing the rugby league rights,'' Gyngell declared.

Get a grip and get OUT!

Just play an ad after a try but before the kick then sneak another one in before the kick off.

What's next? Will they start asking for media timeouts or to play in quarters?

Quidgybo

Bench
We already have two minute water breaks around the mid point of each half for matches played in high temperatures. And that hasn't caused the sky to fall. In fact it's barely been noticed. Why not extend that to all matches? At the first convenient break in play after 19 and 59 minutes, the referee calls time off, the players get a drink, television gets two minutes of ads, and then play resumes right where it left off. The team that would be in possession remains in possession at the same point on the field. No reset of the clock or fresh kickoff.

Leigh

Moffo

Referee
Stop the clock for conversions, will extend the game and allow for more ads

Extend the game to 120 minutes....double the number of subs

Cross sell the players in to other programs. Have Steve matai on the block, Cooper cronk on the Kerry Anne kennerly show and so on. Cronk could come out dressed as a bucket of kfc and do a chicken dance in between interviews

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The game's needed better clock management for ages - look at the confusion at the end of the Eels-Panthers game last Saturday. The game needs clearer rules about time-wasting and more mandatory clock stoppages to take it out of the refs' (and players') hands.

This will lead to longer games, and the decrease in momentum caused by more stoppages will be countered by the fact of having more tired players at the back end of games (because the games will be longer). Maybe they could increase the number of interchanges if they had to.

It's not hard. Stop the clock at most turnovers - scrums, penalties, drop-outs, as well as scoring plays - and we'll get more money. Like Gyngell says, we have a better product but the AFL is more friendly to free-to-air tv. The money has to come from somewhere.

BuffaloRules

Coach
They are not going to pay more money unless they can show more ads...

It makes sense doesnt it?

I love the NFL and you could never see a game with more ads in it than that...

Not saying we need to go that far obviously, but Im sure that the odd stoppage could be done to allow some more ad time..

And also - dont think this will only be restriced to FTA... It wont be too long before Foxtel start ramming ads into the coverage during the play...

Parra

Referee
Just play an ad after a try but before the kick then sneak another one in before the kick off.

Why not? With all the interchange the traditional idea of stamina has all but been removed from the game anyway. Forced timeouts and/or quarters will reward players like Hindmarsh and Gallen who can go 80 mins, whereas now they are punished with having to cope with fresh opponents all match.

whall15

Coach
We all know how Nine love the ads, it is seriously painful to watch the 2nd Friday and Sunday matches on Nine.

BuffaloRules

Coach
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-with-tv-bullies/story-e6frg7mf-1226098607206

Gyngell, who described himself as a "sucker for rugby league" at a Canterbury lunch yesterday, certainly made it clear his network was prepared to outlay more money for the rights from 2013. However, he stressed that the NRL had some big calls to make.
"The game is definitely going to get more money," Gyngell said.
"The challenge for the game is what are they going to do with that money. How is it going to be redistributed to the clubs and how do we fend off AFL?
"If there is going to be more money, then we need to talk about how we slice and dice the games. Are we selling nine games (per round) or eight games? How can we get more breaks into the game so we can get more (ads).
"How do you let us schedule games? If we've got Canberra versus Cronulla or Canberra versus Auckland on a Friday, it's going to rate 50 per cent worse in Sydney than Parramatta playing Canterbury. If Foxtel gets the good game, we need to be sure it pays for it."

I know that everyone always whinges about the scheduling, but you can see how some teams will pull in bigger ratings in Sydney and Brisbane than others...

The issue is that the NRL have just given away the right for the broadcasters to dictate the schedule for next to nothing...

The IC needs to determine how much extra Nine will pay for the scheduling rights, and then weigh up wether this is sufficient compensation for all the pain that not having a fixed schedule at the start of the year costs the game in terms of crowds..

***MH***

Bench
Lol at the posts who want no ads for free tv. Where exactly do you think Free tv gets it's money from? Be realistic! You want $1b from tv? Your going to need more ads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts