What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Cbf reading the article but based on the last few years Gyngell can f**k off and die for all I care

i read it but your sentiments are still spot on

JuWhat's next? Will they start asking for media timeouts or to play in quarters?

i think thats what they'd like. doesnt college basketball have a stoppage towards the end of the game for ads to get played?

We already have two minute water breaks around the mid point of each half for matches played in high temperatures. And that hasn't caused the sky to fall. In fact it's barely been noticed. Why not extend that to all matches? At the first convenient break in play after 19 and 59 minutes, the referee calls time off, the players get a drink, television gets two minutes of ads, and then play resumes right where it left off. The team that would be in possession remains in possession at the same point on the field. No reset of the clock or fresh kickoff.

Leigh

actually when they do that commentators ahve pointed out a lot of tries get scored just before the break, its like players start clocking off waiitng for the stoppage

I cant see a 15-20 sec break for an ad hurting anything,(while walking to a scrum after a 40/20 or kick into touch).
If it doesn't affect the flow of the game too much,then let them chuck in as many 20 sec breaks as they want..IF they are willing to pay the big $$$$$.

the ads shits me and they do break up the continuity of the game but i can live with them putting in SHORT ads whilst players are dawdling to the scrums. but the reality is we've got the product already which should be commanding the big $, not trying to change it to suit nein

Lets be honest about the AFL, they probably accept less money to have a locked in schedule at the start of the year...

possibly but they accept less for the fans

Quidgybo

Bench
I'm not in favour of fixed scheduling for prime time matches. The NFL have even ditched that in favour of flexible schedules for late season matches once a team's form has been examined.
But only to move matches to different times on the same day. It's the advantage of having more games allocated to a day than you show in any one market on FTA. The network gets a choice of games and so can choose the best game(s) to maxmise ratings in each market while the matches themselves remain fixed to the same day they were scheduled on 6 months out. It's the best of both worlds.

Leigh.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
A CLEAR preference for a second Brisbane team, which would allow Nine to abandon Friday night double-headers;

Why would having a second Brisbane team allow them to stop double headers? I must be missing something.

InThatNumber

Juniors
Nine couldalso step up and do pre and post game shows to take a Sunday arvo games coverage from 3pm to 6pm and throw in as many ad breaks as they like. It would be certinaly more profitable than whatever else it is they show before the footy.

A Sunday afternoon game could be filled with pre-match interviews, talk about the games played so far, an update on the 2pm game, highlights reel of past matches played between the two sides over the years.
Excellent idea. The game needs to be respected and there are other ways such as the above suggested that can earn the FTA networks more ad space. Pre and post game shows are an excellent way of delivering this and the much deserved cash NRL should be receiving for broadcast rights.

nrlnrl

First Grade
i read it but your sentiments are still spot on i think thats what they'd like. doesnt college basketball have a stoppage towards the end of the game for ads to get played?

NFL, NBA & NHL plus college football & basketball all have tv timeouts of different types. The system for NFL could be adapted easily enough in the NRL, which is basically that there is a set number of commercial breaks ( 10 per half, which includes the 2-minute warning & end of half/game - that leaves 8 to be fitted in around certain plays such as field goal attempts, conversions, turnovers plus natural stoppages like injuries or video reviews ).

NB - these numbers are those from NFL, would need adjusting for NRL.

Last edited:
They already do ads during the run of play anyway and it shits me to tears. I couldn't give a f**k that The Block has a must see episode at 7:30pm, call the bloody game and waste 15-20 seconds on that crap once a try is scored, knock-on, etc.

NFL, NBA & NHL plus college football & basketball all have tv timeouts of different types. The system for NFL could be adapted easily enough in the NRL, which is basically that there is a set number of commercial breaks ( 10 per half, which includes the 2-minute warning & end of half/game - that leaves 8 to be fitted in around certain plays such as field goal attempts, conversions, turnovers plus natural stoppages like injuries or video reviews ).

NB - these numbers are those from NFL, would need adjusting for NRL.

NCAA basketball style media timeouts are the best option. 90 second break for the first whistle/dead ball situation after the 20th and 60th minute

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
maybe we could have telecasts run from 6.30pm til midnight for both games on Friday that should cover all advertising.

And show the Sunday game live with a pre and post game show leading into the news, fill them with ads too.

Have a decent footy show without f**kwits like Vossy, Fatty, Brohman, Fittler, Daley or Johns involved and have a proper preview of the upcoming games of the round and lead into the first game with that and fill it with ads leading into prime time, just after the news, perfect timing, solves all the problems and competes with AFL's one game for the same time slot (and by starting earlier, it gets a jump on them as well)

Last edited:

Pierced Soul

First Grade
They already do ads during the run of play anyway and it shits me to tears. I couldn't give a f**k that The Block has a must see episode at 7:30pm, call the bloody game and waste 15-20 seconds on that crap once a try is scored, knock-on, etc.

dont forget the odds, must hear the latest odds after that knock on 2 secs ago.

fmd, when you think about it the whole game is an ad for neins other crap shows (i dont watch nein except for the footy). they're basically doing lvie ads with gould going on about what show he's looking forwards to every week

Quidgybo

Bench
NCAA basketball style media timeouts are the best option. 90 second break for the first whistle/dead ball situation after the 20th and 60th minute
That's effectively what we have now with the water breaks in early season matches. But the referee has the descretion to decide exactly when to take the break with sympathy for the state of the game. I'd have no problem if at the first convenient break after 19 and 59 minutes, the referee calls time off, two minute break, and then get on from where the match left off.

Leigh

SET2JT

Juniors
Get Jamie Soward to teach all goal kickers in the NRL how to do his pre kick dance, and we can put a 2 min add before all conversions.

LineBall

Juniors
The Game itself could probably allow short ad breaks throughout play if it deals with the bigger issue of consistency with time-keeping.

As seen in the Parra v Penrith game - the refs stopped the clock with a few seconds left for a handover ( because it was near the end of the game and the scores were close). If one team was ahead by 20, or if there was 10 minutes left to go - would they have stopped the clock? No. At the end of many close games, the refs will often stop the clock for something that they normally would not call time off for.

They should simply stop the clock for all dead ball situations - such as the ball is in touch, over the dead ball line, a scrum is signalled by the referee, a try is scored etc. If they are worried about time wasters - just keep the current system where a team should be allowed 40 secs max to take a drop goal, form a scrum, etc. This would give ample oppurtinites for the TV station to insert ads throughout the game, without changning the fabric of the game too much.

This would also allow players to have more of a breather throughout the match, and hopefully allow the amount of interchanges to be reduced also.

babyg

Juniors
Happy to see a 15 second ad break after a scrum if it means more money. A kick for touch is a strategic kick to give the team a break. It is controlled by the players. If the players know how long the break is for then no problems. Can't do it for a drop out. Also how about an automatic time out when the ball goes out of play. Longer game. More money. Plus shorten the interchange.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Excellent idea. The game needs to be respected and there are other ways such as the above suggested that can earn the FTA networks more ad space. Pre and post game shows are an excellent way of delivering this and the much deserved cash NRL should be receiving for broadcast rights.

I dont tend to watch the Pre and Post game shows... too may ads...

Looking at the ratings for the pre and post game shows, I'm not alone...

Jono1987

Juniors
I'm for having more ad breaks if it means more money from the networks. In fact I'm a firm believer that time off should be called for more incidents in or out of play than currently are...But if you do this you must also reduce the interchange number. That in itself brings a series of other problems, most notably player welfare and safety.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Why would having a second Brisbane team allow them to stop double headers? I must be missing something.

I speculated on one of the other threads that there will be still two games on Friday nights - A game biased to the Sydney Audience and a game biased to the Brisbane audience ( obvously this helps when there are two Brisbane sides).

Nine will show the game live to its preferred audience, and the replay of the other game will be shunted to foxtel at 9.30...

If there are 9 games a round, they are still going to have to play 2 games on a Friday night...

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
If there are 9 games a round, they are still going to have to play 2 games on a Friday night...

That's why I couldn't work out how a second Brisbane team would allow them to abandon double headers. There has to be two games on a Friday.

The only thing I could think of is that the one game on Friday night would always include a Brisbane team and a Sydney team (alternating Broncos/Bombers) so they wouldn't need to schedule two games for the different markets.

I would think that they love the second game since it has so many ad breaks as it's not live, but maybe they don't rate as well or are as cost effective as the other crap they could put on at 9:30 on a Friday?

Status
Not open for further replies.