What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Children at NRL games

Geohood

Bench
Had a little girl on a seat behind me during Roosters v Penrith this year asking her dad (Penrith fan) who was winning about 100 times in the last 10 minutes. Killed me life.

Took a boy i was looking after to a full suncorp when he was 7 ..he loved it,but my mate took his boy who was 5 & when the roar of 50K went up ,he was terrified ,covering his ears.
Depends on the kid i suppose.

carcharias

Immortal
took my kid when he was 6 weeks old.

he is 6 yrs now and has a season seat.......it is a punish though.
he doesn't really watch it.

loves everything but the actual footy .

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Well, I got no kids, but I remember one of the first games I went to. Pretty sure it was against Illawarra. I dropped my bottle down the stairs at Parra Stadium.

Next day, I started my first job. :sarcasm:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Small babies (0-18 months) - not worth taking them, too much hassle.

Anything from 2 years or more, take them even if they won't remember it.

Anything 5-12 years... keep an eye on them, don't let them bang seats or annoy people.

/whinge

BigRedV

Juniors
My then 2 yr old was yelling "sh!t" at an origin game on the tele, much to mum's disgust, before he was fully talking.
To me this was a sign he was ready for his first game.
Proud to say that 5 yrs later as a matured 7yr old, he had a 90min slanging match with a 40yo Tigers supporter during last years final series.
At the end the the game, they both stood up, shook hands and we went on our way :).
As long as they enjoy being there, its never too early. But remember a roaring crowd can be a little scary for some kids. Mine were both freaked at the their first couple of games.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Took my daughter when a couple of times last year when she was one. Just sat right up the back away from crowds at AAMI Park. She screamed like crazy at the cheering but was all good, just gave her heaps of snacks.

on first reading i thought you wrote SMACKS :lol:

I took my daughter when she was young, biggest problem in all seriousness you might find is allowing the game to distract you to such an extent that you will forget your son is there.

hahahaha and you leave the kid there

funniest thing i heard at a game was a dad telling his son that he had to boo the broncos when they ran out and the kid asking "why do i have to boo them?"

At newcastle a few weeks back there was a family next to me who were all dressed out in broncos gear including a kid who was 8-10. the kid was chanting new-cast-le with the crowd and cheering when the knights scored and family were trying to explain to him that he was cheering the wrong team

bjm8

Juniors
First took my son at around 10 weeks old. Slept through most of it, even the loud cheering. Now at just over 12 months he'll smile & clap whenever a cheer goes up, without a clue what is going on.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Took my twins girls to their first game when they were 3. Had a ball and didnt annoy anyone around us, having said that it was a packed Suncorp for the Dragons v Titans game.

They loved every minute of the atmosphere and still talk about it.

That was my daughter's first game as well. She was about 8 months old. I recall repeatedly having to stop her pulling the hair of the people in front of us. Took our little bloke to the donkeys game last year, at about 15 months. He was fine, but my daughter decided to wet her pants. I've been working hard on her to support the Blues, but I guess that's a sign she'll end up switching to her state of birth...

Taking both of them again on Friday night.

Haynzy

First Grade
Took my kids to a Rams game when my daughter was 4 and my son was 6months.
She didn't really get into it then but doesn't mind watching on TV now.

The next time I took my son was when he was 4 and we went to Sydney to catch a Parra v Souths game. He loved it but asked lots of awkward questions about the strange Souths supporters and the naughty words they kept saying.

IanG

Coach
Don't have kids myself but first went to a footy game when I was 11. Went with my Dad and brother who was 8.

redvforlife

Juniors
I want to take my niece to a Dragons game - she has a jersey and she can recognise the symbol. She says 'dragons' (was one of her first fifty words) and 'Sowie' so she may have fun... but I'm worried she just won't care and will want to leave halfway through

ETA - she's just over 18 months

soc123_au

Staff member
I am taking my 4 year old Daughter to her first game on Saturday. She likes watching on TV & has been nagging to go to a game since last year. Will be interesting to see how she goes.

Hopefully she isnt a jinx like my 10 year old son, he came to his first game in 02 & we were flogged by the Cowboys. He then came to another 15 odd games over the next 8 years, all losses. Finally he got to see his first Panthers win last year against the Broncos. Gordon & Tahu both copped season ending injuries during the game. He is a ticketed member this year & we are 0 & 2 at home.:crazy:

Last edited:

roofromoz

First Grade
My eldest son turns 3 in May. Where I sit at Penrith is all seated, and he's someone who doesn't like sitting still for long. So at the moment, I want to hold it off.

I live in Group 6 territory in the CRL, so I'm thinking of taking him to a couple of those matches, where he has a chance to run around a bit, kick the ball, etc.

I'll probably take him to his first NRL match next year.

Last edited: