What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

City V Country teams

Patorick

Staff member
My predictions on the squad selections:

Country Origin:
Brett Stewart (Sea Eagles), Brett Morris (Dragons), Josh Morris (Bulldogs), Matt King (Rabbitohs), James McManus (Knights), Jamie Soward (Dragons), Todd Carney (Sharks), Trent Merrin (Dragons), Danny Buderus (captain) (Knights), Kade Snowden (Knights), Beau Scott (Dragons), Ben Creagh (Dragons), Chris Heighington (Tigers) Interchange: Michael Ennis (Bulldogs), Tom Learoyd-Lahrs (Raiders), Tariq Sims (Cowboys), Jamal Idris (Titans) Coach: Laurie Daley

City Origin:
Jarryd Hayne (Eels), Beau Ryan (Tigers), Michael Jennings (Panthers), Chris Lawrence (West Tigers), David Williams (Sea Eagles), Peter Wallace (Broncos), Mitchell Pearce (Roosters), Keith Galloway (Tigers), Robbie Farah (Tigers), Tim Mannah (Eels), Anthony Watmough (Sea Eagles), Feleti Mateo (Warriors), Liam Fulton (Tigers) Interchange: Wade Graham (Sharks), Andrew Fifita (Sharks), Jason Taumalolo (Cowboys), Adam Cuthbertson (Knights) Coach: Brad Fitler

NB:I might be wrong with some of the players ie Mateo .
Ryan was born in Wollongong.

Taumalolo is a kiwi.

Heighington is a Pom now.

typicalfan

Coach
Isn't Taumalolo Kiwi maroon? Don't laugh about the bench for City, it usually sucks.

I think James Maloney should get the 6 for City, Wallace should be on the bench.

Merrin won't start, he doesn't start for his club. Weyman could be a possibility though, he has been in top form.

Patorick

Staff member
Isn't Taumalolo Kiwi maroon? Don't laugh about the bench for City, it usually sucks.

I think James Maloney should get the 6 for City, Wallace should be on the bench.

Merrin won't start, he doesn't start for his club. Weyman could be a possibility though, he has been in top form.
Maloney was born in Orange.

jbl31649

Juniors
A nothing game. Why do we still play it?

Exactly!

Having a rep weekend would be the perfect time to play a number of test matches involving the pacific island nations, but we toss up an outdated city v country game and an under 20's game alongside the Anzac test!

Normal QLDer response. Why offer more Rep games to their state. Maybe taking some rep matches to Rural QLD.

Last year was a poor choice of Location, but from all reports Mudgee has really got the ground up to standard.

If your not really a fan of League watch something else. Hell I'd watch local league on the box if the merkins televised it.

At first I switched Maloney for Wallace because I heard he was a country boy, then I realised theres 10 other wrong players. #-o Oh and its was James Tamou not Taumalolo for City, got mixed up with origin selection scandals and Cowboys.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Maloney was born in Orange.

Being born in Orange has nothing to do with it..

He Did play his School Footy on the Central Coast though at St Edwards, so that would qualify him for Country.

Going to be an absolute selection headache for Country selecting the halves with 5 guys gunning for the NSW job, none of which currently playing halfback.

Canard

Immortal
Now that NSW have convinced Jimmy Tamou to rort the system and play for NSW he should be shoe-in for one of the minor rep jerseys of City or Country.

The ARL/RLIF really need to take a stand on this and force anyone who spent more than 2 hours in transit in NZ or England play for that nation to ensure the strength of international league.

Loudstrat

Coach
Tell that to cutie and Tonie Carroll!!!!!

Smooth operator - you do realise you have 2 pivots for one team and 2 halves for another?

The Country pivot will be between Campo and Carney. Possibly Walsh as half
The City halves will be between Wallace and Pearce. Pivot - Ben Roberts?

jonno_knights

Juniors
Tell that to cutie and Tonie Carroll!!!!!

Smooth operator - you do realise you have 2 pivots for one team and 2 halves for another?

The Country pivot will be between Campo and Carney. Possibly Walsh as half
The City halves will be between Wallace and Pearce. Pivot - Ben Roberts?

Roberts is a kiwi isnt he?

City have Anasta and Sutton at their big name 6's. I think They'll go Wallace and Pearce.

typicalfan

Coach
Roberts is kiwi/pacific islander.

Wallace was on the bench in the City/Country before his NSW debut, could be where he is again. Anasta is probably the only option for city. I seriously can't think of any other than maybe Wade Graham.

Think Aaron Woods will be in the city 17, he has been going good this year, he is rated by the selectors as he was in the emerging Blues squad before he had played a single NRL match. Deserves a go this year for city based on his form.

eozsmiles

Bench
My predictions on the squad selections:

Country Origin:
Brett Stewart (Sea Eagles), Brett Morris (Dragons), Josh Morris (Bulldogs), Matt King (Rabbitohs), James McManus (Knights), Jamie Soward (Dragons), Todd Carney (Sharks), Trent Merrin (Dragons), Danny Buderus (captain) (Knights), Kade Snowden (Knights), Beau Scott (Dragons), Ben Creagh (Dragons), Chris Heighington (Tigers) Interchange: Michael Ennis (Bulldogs), Tom Learoyd-Lahrs (Raiders), Tariq Sims (Cowboys), Jamal Idris (Titans) Coach: Laurie Daley

City Origin:
Jarryd Hayne (Eels), Beau Ryan (Tigers), Michael Jennings (Panthers), Chris Lawrence (West Tigers), David Williams (Sea Eagles), Peter Wallace (Broncos), Mitchell Pearce (Roosters), Keith Galloway (Tigers), Robbie Farah (Tigers), Tim Mannah (Eels), Anthony Watmough (Sea Eagles), Feleti Mateo (Warriors), Liam Fulton (Tigers) Interchange: Wade Graham (Sharks), Andrew Fifita (Sharks), Jason Taumalolo (Cowboys), Adam Cuthbertson (Knights) Coach: Brad Fitler

NB:I might be wrong with some of the players ie Mateo .

Reckon Glen Stewart gets a game if he plays this weekend.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Speaking of which, who will be the players ineligible due to Aus commitments?

Uate
Gallen
Lewis

the definates?

Watmough a maybe? Definately not him AND Stewart IMO.

1. Slater
2. Uate
3. Hodges
4. Inglis
5. Boyd
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Shillington
9. Smith
10. Gallen
11. Thaiday
12. Lewis
13. Watmough/Stewart

14. DCE
15. Hannant
16. ???
17. ???

I think if Scott fails to get at least 1 game under his belt he'll miss out, meaning probably a NSW prop (Snowden, Merrin or Galloway maybe). Parker might fill the other bench spot.

Sad Sad state of affairs in NSW league looking at that team list. Their 1 rep in the backline only came to AUS as a 15 year old too.

isaiah

Bench
Speaking of which, who will be the players ineligible due to Aus commitments?

Uate
Gallen
Lewis

the definates?

Watmough a maybe? Definately not him AND Stewart IMO.

1. Slater
2. Uate
3. Hodges
4. Inglis
5. Boyd
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Shillington
9. Smith
10. Gallen
11. Thaiday
12. Lewis
13. Watmough/Stewart

14. DCE
15. Hannant
16. ???
17. ???

I think if Scott fails to get at least 1 game under his belt he'll miss out, meaning probably a NSW prop (Snowden, Merrin or Galloway maybe). Parker might fill the other bench spot.

Sad Sad state of affairs in NSW league looking at that team list. Their 1 rep in the backline only came to AUS as a 15 year old too.
your "sad state of affairs" is nothing new, you have no talent, looking at 7 straight series losses, lol

undertaker

Coach
A nothing game. Why do we still play it?

It might have to be Anasta then :lol:

Although I goofed I am a fan of City v Country. The fixture is dead because NSW and the clubs don't take it seriously.

I know your comment maybe met with the chagrin of those on this forum that live in country areas (e.g. East Coast Tiger), but I 100% agree with your comment. Yes, it may have had very good intentions in the beginning when it was used as a genuine Origin preparation match back in the '90s, but now it serves little purpose today. The QLDers, who've won 6 series in a row, must be laughing their guts off everytime this match comes around and watch our folk bash the crap out of each other to no avail, whilst they just sit back in the luxury of their loungerooms.

Matt Cooper will be injured that week but will play for the Dragons (yes, I realise he's retired).

A big LOL at the Matt Cooper situation. This is the same Matt Cooper who mysteriously became "injured" at the 11th hour before the Country origin match, only for him to play for the Dragons the next day. However, when he got picked for Australia, he didn't turn down that opportunity. Yes, I know it's easy to take the piss out of ppl like Cooper, but I honestly cannot blame them for treating this match with the disdain they do. He's not the only one that has this mentality, and sadly, the Indigenous All Stars game is going down the same route with key players opting out at the last minute. The 2003 CC origin match in Gosford was the last "true" CC origin, where all available marquee players played in the match (even Andrew Johns played IIRC), as the one-off test match was shifted until after the State of Origin series. Players for CC Origin only get picked after the test team has been picked. So, it's another way of disparagingly telling the CC Origin players "Sorry, that table over in the far right get the main course meal and you'll just have to settle with whatever leftover food scraps remain".

One thing is for sure, 30% of the named teams will change by game day due to "minor injuries"

This, in a nutshell, sums up why the match has become a joke.

Interesting to see if any players from the Anzac Day games ( Dragons, Roosters, Storm & Warriors ) pull out with these "minor injuries", but be available for the club games on Wednesday.

Until this situation changes, the City Country origin has no credibility and will always be viewed as a Mickey Mouse match whilst players treat the match with the attitude they do. There were rumours last year that the ARLC may scrap this game. Hopefully common sense will prevail during the tv rights negotiations this year, and this game is put out of its misery.

Last edited:

typicalfan

Coach
To be fair the vast majority of players take it seriously. You can't go out on a Rugby League field and put in 80% and not be found out.

Latest posts