Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

City V Country teams

jbl31649

Now QLD got behind a similar idea to run a North QLD(NQ) v South QLD (SQ) on the same weekend, we could have a Test and 2 Rep Matches. So I could support my arguement I pluck a list of QLD players in NRL.

Now this isn't a perfect list and there will be players in the Test side, some of missed or got incorrect, but there are some names that may never see SOO or Test level ever or ever again. I found at least 50.

1. Neville Costigan – Prop/2nd Row NQ
2. Josh Hoffman – Fullback NQ
3. Justin Hodges – Centre NQ
4. Matt Bowen – Fullback NQ
5. Dale Copley – Wing SQ
6. Corey Norman – 5/8 SQ
7. Matt Gillett – 2nd Row/Lock SQ
8. Sam Thaiday – 2nd Row/Lock/Prop SQ
9. Andrew McCullough – Hooker SQ
10. Ben Hunt – Centre/2nd Row NQ
11. Josh Mcguire – Prop/2nd Row SQ
12. Corey Parker – 2nd Row/Lock SQ
13. Ben Teo – Prop/2nd Row NQ
14. Shaun Berrigan – Centre SQ
15. Josh Papalii – 2nd Row SQ
16. David Shillington – Prop NQ
17. Billy Slater – Fullback NQ
18. Dane Neilsen – Centre NQ
19. Justin O’neil – Centre NQ
20. Cooper Cronk – Halves SQ
21. Jonathen Thurston – Halves NQ
22. Daley Cherry Evans – Halves NQ
23. Kevin Procter – 2nd Row SQ
24. Cameron Smith – Hooker SQ
25. David Stagg – Lock SQ
26. Joel Romelo – Centre/2nd Row SQ
27. Martin Kennedy – Prop SQ
28. Aidan Guerra – 2nd Row SQ
29. Lama Tasi – Prop SQ
30. Ashely Graham – Winger NQ
31. Brent Tate – Centre SQ
32. Antonio Winterstein – Centre SQ
33. Ray Thompson – Halves NQ
34. Dallas Johnson – 2nd Row SQ
35. Gavin Cooper – 2nd Row SQ
36. Aaron Payne – Hooker NQ
37. Scott Bolten – 2nd Row NQ
38. Matt Ballin – Hooker SQ
39. William Zillman – Fullback/Halves SQ
40. Scott Prince – Halves NQ
41. Ashely Harrison – 2nd Row/Lock SQ
42. Luke O’Dwyer – 2nd Row NQ
43. Nate Myles – Prop NQ
44. Matt Scott – Prop NQ
45. Jordan Rankin – Halves SQ
46. Nathan Friend – Hooker SQ
47. Micheal Crocker – 2nd Row SQ
48. David Taylor – Prop/2nd Row NQ
49. Travis Burns – Halves SQ
50. Loti Tuquiri – Winger SQ
# Just a pipe dream.

northwest9

Now QLD got behind a similar idea to run a North QLD(NQ) v South QLD (SQ) on the same weekend, we could have a Test and 2 Rep Matches. So I could support my arguement I pluck a list of QLD players in NRL.

Now this isn't a perfect list and there will be players in the Test side, some of missed or got incorrect, but there are some names that may never see SOO or Test level ever or ever again. I found at least 50.

1. Neville Costigan – Prop/2nd Row NQ
2. Josh Hoffman – Fullback NQ
3. Justin Hodges – Centre NQ
4. Matt Bowen – Fullback NQ
5. Dale Copley – Wing SQ
6. Corey Norman – 5/8 SQ
7. Matt Gillett – 2nd Row/Lock SQ
8. Sam Thaiday – 2nd Row/Lock/Prop SQ
9. Andrew McCullough – Hooker SQ
10. Ben Hunt – Centre/2nd Row NQ
11. Josh Mcguire – Prop/2nd Row SQ
12. Corey Parker – 2nd Row/Lock SQ
13. Ben Teo – Prop/2nd Row NQ
14. Shaun Berrigan – Centre SQ
15. Josh Papalii – 2nd Row SQ
16. David Shillington – Prop NQ
17. Billy Slater – Fullback NQ
18. Dane Neilsen – Centre NQ
19. Justin O’neil – Centre NQ
20. Cooper Cronk – Halves SQ
21. Jonathen Thurston – Halves NQ
22. Daley Cherry Evans – Halves NQ
23. Kevin Procter – 2nd Row SQ
24. Cameron Smith – Hooker SQ
25. David Stagg – Lock SQ
26. Joel Romelo – Centre/2nd Row SQ
27. Martin Kennedy – Prop SQ
28. Aidan Guerra – 2nd Row SQ
29. Lama Tasi – Prop SQ
30. Ashely Graham – Winger NQ
31. Brent Tate – Centre SQ
32. Antonio Winterstein – Centre SQ
33. Ray Thompson – Halves NQ
34. Dallas Johnson – 2nd Row SQ
35. Gavin Cooper – 2nd Row SQ
36. Aaron Payne – Hooker NQ
37. Scott Bolten – 2nd Row NQ
38. Matt Ballin – Hooker SQ
39. William Zillman – Fullback/Halves SQ
40. Scott Prince – Halves NQ
41. Ashely Harrison – 2nd Row/Lock SQ
42. Luke O’Dwyer – 2nd Row NQ
43. Nate Myles – Prop NQ
44. Matt Scott – Prop NQ
45. Jordan Rankin – Halves SQ
46. Nathan Friend – Hooker SQ
47. Micheal Crocker – 2nd Row SQ
48. David Taylor – Prop/2nd Row NQ
49. Travis Burns – Halves SQ
50. Loti Tuquiri – Winger SQ
# Just a pipe dream.

so who does inglis play for?

I'm sure I will have to say this again numerous times between now and City/Country and again afterwards, but anyone who suggests this game be scrapped has no interest in the game's survival and/or success in country NSW.

jbl31649

Few kiwis in there

Yeah probably. I said it wasn't perfect, I just went of the profiles and their junior clubs. I trying to gather a list to see what players are remaining that would be SOO or test certainties. There are a few.

so who does inglis play for?

Well I thought about this and under the new guidelines he wouldn't play. But if they waiver it, then NQ. Still though you could make 2 good and entertaining sides from that list.

Yeah probably. I said it wasn't perfect, I just went of the profiles and their junior clubs. I trying to gather a list to see what players are remaining that would be SOO or test certainties. There are a few.

Well I thought about this and under the new guidelines he wouldn't play. But if they waiver it, then NQ. Still though you could make 2 good and entertaining sides from that list.
NQ? You can't get much further south in Qld than Bowraville. Except for Auckland.

But seriously, he played for Brisbane Norths so he would play for SQ if anything. Of course he should be playing for NSW Country if it was fair dinkum.

They could also split Qld into City/Country pretty well as long as the Gold Coast is counted as city, which it should be. If you make it Brisbane/Ipswich/Gold Coast versus the rest it would make two pretty even sides, although country wouldn't be as good now that Lockyer is gone.

Big Pete

I don't mind the City/Country concept, it gives Country RL some much needed attention and the players do a lot for the community, I just don't believe it's a suitable trial for Origin. I reckon if it was a pre-season game, it'd get the attention it deserves.

Qld City/Country sides would be interesting to look at. City would have the likes of JT, Smith & Cronk while Country would have Slater, DCE, Thaiday etc.

When they do it with Q Cup I believe City is made up of players from Easts, Norths, Wynnum, Souths & Redcliffe while Country is practically made up of all the rest. Don't know if this would change with such a competition.

The GI situation would be pretty interesting. Technically, he's from country NSW but he was graded for Qld at Norths.

Saw NZ selector Richie Barnett on TV the other night saying he "thinks" Corey Norman has made himself eligible for the mighty Kiwis.

firechild

I don't mind the City/Country concept, it gives Country RL some much needed attention and the players do a lot for the community, I just don't believe it's a suitable trial for Origin. I reckon if it was a pre-season game, it'd get the attention it deserves.

Qld City/Country sides would be interesting to look at. City would have the likes of JT, Smith & Cronk while Country would have Slater, DCE, Thaiday etc.

When they do it with Q Cup I believe City is made up of players from Easts, Norths, Wynnum, Souths & Redcliffe while Country is practically made up of all the rest. Don't know if this would change with such a competition.

The GI situation would be pretty interesting. Technically, he's from country NSW but he was graded for Qld at Norths.

I'd watch that. Good chance to see how good Slater is when he's not playing in a team with JT, Cronk or Smith.

undertaker

Saw NZ selector Richie Barnett on TV the other night saying he "thinks" Corey Norman has made himself eligible for the mighty Kiwis.

Richie Barnett? That name sounds familiar. Wasn't he the player that had his NRL career ended in a sickening head collision that required multiple plates inserted in his face?

Big Pete

I'd watch that. Good chance to see how good Slater is when he's not playing in a team with JT, Cronk or Smith.

Back in the day they had a similar game involving BRL Qlders vs. NSWRL Qlders.

Think NSWRL won and despite an inferior performance, Langer got the nod ahead of Spina.

The more you know...

Richie Barnett? That name sounds familiar. Wasn't he the player that had his NRL career ended in a sickening head collision that required multiple plates inserted in his face?

Full back / winger, played with the Sharks and the Roosters in the late 90's

Yeah his face collided with Wendell Sailor's dome in the in goal area in the 2000 anzac test. He wasn't wearing a mouth guard at the time if I remember correctly. I don't think he came back for the Roosters, but he went to the ESL and had a few seasons there.

jbl31649

NQ? You can't get much further south in Qld than Bowraville. Except for Auckland.

But seriously, he played for Brisbane Norths so he would play for SQ if anything. Of course he should be playing for NSW Country if it was fair dinkum.

They could also split Qld into City/Country pretty well as long as the Gold Coast is counted as city, which it should be. If you make it Brisbane/Ipswich/Gold Coast versus the rest it would make two pretty even sides, although country wouldn't be as good now that Lockyer is gone.

Fair enough SQ for fat boy. CvC work for NSW because of Sydney being the big smoke and most of our best players come from the bush.

But the SQ/NQ thing works because there is a dislike by the North (tropical) of their southern brothers. However it will never work because their just not that interested in rep footy. Otherwise this concept would have been happening for the last 5yrs.