What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

City V Country teams

undertaker

Coach
Interesting to see if any players from the Anzac Day games ( Dragons, Roosters, Storm & Warriors ) pull out with these "minor injuries", but be available for the club games on Wednesday.

Some people on the forum mightn't realise that the City v Country game is on Sunday afternoon, not leaving much recovery time for players from the 4 clubs mentioned.

nrlnrl, excellent point you made regarding the players who are playing on ANZAC day. I didn't think about that. The only players from those clubs that are going to play a nothing match, and then back up 3 days later for a crucial "event" (given that both matches will get close to capacity crowds) are those who know they are never going to play S.O.O. and will play in the CC match just so they can say they played "rep football". A key marquee player of a team, in today's game where they're earning lots of money and hence need to be available for their side as much as possible, isn't going to risk a serious injury by partaking in this match; whereas they will be S.O.O or a test match, which carries infinitely many times more prestige.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
Exactly!

Having a rep weekend would be the perfect time to play a number of test matches involving the pacific island nations, but we toss up an outdated city v country game and an under 20's game alongside the Anzac test!

A rep weekend, or playing other rep games during State or Origin (e.g. NZ Origin match, test matches involving Pacific Island nations etc.) is something I am DEFINITELY in favour of. Players outside of NSW and QLD need to be given more opportunities. Unfortunately, this is not going to happen anytime soon as the ARL knows it will take the gloss off the "main event" and they want to have the monopoly. It's this attitude that is holding back the international game from being the ultimate, highest form of representative football that a RL player can partake in (a topic that belongs in another forum or thread).

hutch

First Grade
Normal QLDer response. Why offer more Rep games to their state. Maybe taking some rep matches to Rural QLD.

Last year was a poor choice of Location, but from all reports Mudgee has really got the ground up to standard.

If your not really a fan of League watch something else. Hell I'd watch local league on the box if the merkins televised it.

Where did I say I was a queenslander? It is an outdated ganesh and there are bigger, better options out there that need to be explored to grow the sport of rugby league. Sure, play city country (maybe as an under 23's), but there are more important games that could be played.

undertaker

Coach
Where did I say I was a queenslander? It is an outdated ganesh and there are bigger, better options out there that need to be explored to grow the sport of rugby league. Sure, play city country (maybe as an under 23's), but there are more important games that could be played.
:clap::clap::clap:

Earl

Coach
The halves will be

City;

6. Peter Wallace
7. Mitchell Pearce

Country;

6. Todd Carney
7. Jarrod Mullen

Lock it in now. And don't question it as stupid, because remember its the NSW selectors we are talking about here.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
If Tariq had of started the year he would be up there with selection, not sure which for though.

Really should use this to blood some up and comers into rep footy. Guys like Tariq, Woods, Grant etc that will most likely be in a blues jumper in the next few series instead of picking blokes in there 30's or over that still haven't done it (Tongue, M Minnichello etc)

Of course, that would mean using this game as an origin trial ;)

Joker's Wild

Coach
Sims would be eligible for Country as he is a Gerringong jnr

Blooding younger players is exactly what it should be used for. If Anasta, Mini or even Bedsy are picked for these games then I really cant see how they are not a massive waste of time and energy tbh. As a Country boy I love the concept but certain clubs and players have made it a bit of a joke over the years

Loudstrat

Coach
Roberts is a kiwi isnt he?

City have Anasta and Sutton at their big name 6's. I think They'll go Wallace and Pearce.

Yes, my bad.

The Blues jumper seems to be between Carney and Campo, halves between Pearce and Wallace with Mullen able to play both. Soward is also one good game away from strong consideration as well.

Personally I think the 6 and 7 are being fought for by those with Origin experience, with Carney already in the Blues 14 jumper. Campo needs a few blinders to have a chance I think.

Patorick

Staff member
If fit he's fit and healthy, Tariq Sims will be one of the first players picked for Country.

Presuming he's not in the Australian team.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Sims would be eligible for Country as he is a Gerringong jnr

Blooding younger players is exactly what it should be used for. If Anasta, Mini or even Bedsy are picked for these games then I really cant see how they are not a massive waste of time and energy tbh. As a Country boy I love the concept but certain clubs and players have made it a bit of a joke over the years

Should just be the next step from selecting the emerging squad at the end/start of the season. Pick a squad of 40 then form, injury, suspension, sudden eligibility and players picked for Aus will cause a few changes.

Patorick

Staff member
Didn't they say something about an expanded squad for each team this year?

Say 18-20 players per team, with a 7 man bench?

jbl31649

Juniors

This comment is normally made from North of the Border. Thats what I was getting at. Aside from the test what is the other important League match happening? What are these bigger, better options to service rural supporters?

I still feel it has a spot using NRL players and taking it to country grounds. This does wonders for the interest of kids being able to see these stars of the game.

Anyway aren't they scrapping it, so does it really matter what any of us think.

typicalfan

Coach
How does playing City v Country stop us doing other things?

The City v Country match is always a big event in the towns they play in and it is great for the kids in the country, the ones that contribute most of the talent to NSW. I would prefer if they revamp it rather than ditch it. If you don't want to watch it you don't have to. I guess the NRL have already made the decision. Another loss for Country NSW.

Latest posts