What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newtown history.

Timbo

Staff member
This thread is brilliant.

Born well after the Jets left first grade, but stumbled on to them when a friend and I won free passes to Henson a few years ago at trivia at Kellys on King St and thought 'why not'?

We slowly brought more of our mates on board and now there's usually a dozen or so of us - Raiders, Eagles, Dragons, Eels, Roosters and Rabbits fans - who go along and cheer for the Jets in unison.

We feared we'd lose a few this year - the allure of KB was pretty impressive - but having replaced that with Reschs the group remains strong!

Thanks to the contributions in this thread!

I was a Jets fan before they were booted and follow the Raiders now because of Chicka Ferguson.

My Dad ( also a Jets fan ) took me to Henson in my younger days and we also watched them at Orana Park at Campbelltown.

they will always have a place in my heart.

I even have some Newtown Jets merchandise kept from my youth.

Some great articles in this thread

bluebag43

Juniors
There is certainly a strong bond between Newtown and Canberra, with Dean Lance,Grant Ellis and Chicka Ferguson going to Canberra after Newtown exit from the Show.

Also, Newtown's Patron Fred Daly the famous politican becoming Canberra Patron after Newtown's exit.

Fred's grandson Michael is an avid Raiders supporter to this day and also still follows Newtown in the NSW Cup.

One also interesting piece of history between the 2 clubs is that Canberra's first victory in First Grade in its history was at Newtown expense in 1982 (12-11 at Seiffet Oval)

chelseabree

Juniors
Here is another blast from the past- the ultimate mud match- anybody go to this amtch- there were only about 1000hardy souls . I have seen bits of this on Youtube

IMG-18.jpg

IMG_0002-9.jpg

There is certainly a strong bond between Newtown and Canberra, with Dean Lance,Grant Ellis and Chicka Ferguson going to Canberra after Newtown exit from the Show.

Also, Newtown's Patron Fred Daly the famous politican becoming Canberra Patron after Newtown's exit.

Fred's grandson Michael is an avid Raiders supporter to this day and also still follows Newtown in the NSW Cup.

One also interesting piece of history between the 2 clubs is that Canberra's first victory in First Grade in its history was at Newtown expense in 1982 (12-11 at Seiffet Oval)

If I recall correct Newtowns last game was against Canberra and the score was 9-6

billy2

Juniors
Thanks Chelseabree and Billy2 for the articles. Love it!
the article i put up is from the searchable historical newspaper index at the national Library.

Go to this search page and you can find articles on anything that happened in the last 200 years from the newspapers of the time.

You can also correct the OCR scan of the articles if you are keen - and download the individual articles as a PDF.

You can read about every game Newtown played from 1908 till the copywright cutoff of 1954 if you want.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home

chelseabree

Juniors
To celebrate NEWTOWN making the grand final this year ( I will be going with my daughter as my wife bought tickets thinking Souths would make the grand final) and with my one and only Newtown jumper cheering them on, I thought I would dig out of the collection a semi final Newtown won against Souths with only 12 players and then went on to win the premiership.

Step7excitingendings_zps21c2dd70.jpg

Step7excitingendings_0001_zps71e90696.jpg

Step7excitingendings_0002_zps642ad84c.jpg

mightybears

Bench
great article, last time they published 'Occupations' was in the late 80's I'd guess?
Good to know one was a 'Footballer'!

Last edited:

chelseabree

Juniors
Hi again. This is for a person who knew and another who was related to the Bradstock brothers who played for Newtown around the early 70s.