What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Farah calls on PM to crack down on Twitter abuse

Eels Dude

Coach
Twitter is a promotional tool - if you put yourself up for public critic then you should bear it all - the price you pay i am sorry but that is life

The guy that wrote it will get caught up by his own karma or mental condition - what he has done is wrong and he's probably deficient in some way or another and that to me is his punishment

no need to sook to the government - next we will get into trouble here for calling someone a "merkin"

Ads

Well said on all points.

retch

Juniors
This chap is doing some heavy duty trolling >

EVeAp.png

Complaining about Rob getting attention over the tweet is like complaining about the newsworthyness of the young AFL player that died. I am sure a lot of people die in Vegas every day, but how many of them make the news.

This is about what is right and what is wrong, it has nothing to do with celebrity or high profile sports star status.

What was done was just wrong, plain and simple.

Losing your Mum is a hard, hard thing to go through, especially when she suffered a horrible and painful death.

Then to have someone say what they said is just wrong.

Treat people like you'd want your nan to be treated, that's my motto.

retch

Juniors
The tweet to Farah was done by a nutter > what we are learning in all of this is that there are more nutters out there than anyone ever thought.

Move on nothing to see here except a few votes for PM Julia and then she will drop Farah like a hot spud. :lol:

adamkungl

Immortal
This is about what is right and what is wrong, it has nothing to do with celebrity or high profile sports star status.

What was done was just wrong, plain and simple.

Losing your Mum is a hard, hard thing to go through, especially when she suffered a horrible and painful death.

Then to have someone say what they said is just wrong.

Treat people like you'd want your nan to be treated, that's my motto.

Don't think anyone's disagreeing with this.

But calls for law changes are utterly stupid

Hooch

Juniors
What else can you expect in an anonymous environment.

Fwiw I think the tweet about Dugans girlfriend was far worse, and one that would get someone into trouble with the law.

But even the Dugan, who looks like he would spend all arvo sorting out his smarties, had the brains to just delete it because its bullshit.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
So if someone said nasty & vile things about your deceased mum, you would put up with it and not do anything. It just shows what a pathetic person you really are.

Why?

Is it pathetic to be strong enough to not react to someone who is just trying to get a reaction out of you?

You sound very childish and immature.

No, that's not the reason. They'll forget about it because it will become a harder story to dig into from there, and the media are all about writing about something someone posted on Twitter then buggering off to the juicer earlier. No interest in something deeper that could potentially affect the public and the future.

And so shall we just go along with every law that exists? Not challenge anything? Doesn't sound like progress to me. Even someone like me who said the dumbest thing in history understands it is a changing world with laws that no longer truly apply in the current environment. The internet and the changing face of the way we do things necessitates new laws. The UK is light years ahead of Australia and therefore have been quicker to act.

Not 'shut the f*ck up Robbie'. Shut the f*ck up trolls. I've come to the conclusion that a lot of people want the right to talk shit themselves on here because they're the sort of dogs that would prefer to bark than bite. So play on.

I can't believe you're using the UK as some sort of model, a beacon of legal light, all the while born Britons, all over the isles, are foaming at the mouth (Except for pensioners and statists.)

He called him a androtop..I don't see anything too drama-filled in that. Tell me, if a radio host or a journalist had written or said what the original tweeter did, you think there'd be a comeuppance? Of course. So what's the difference? Print, tweet or spoken, it's all under the same umbrella of free speech measured against decency.

You have it arse backwards. What we see with the UK style policing of Twitter is that the police are being inundated with nonsense complaints in regards to people who aren't committing crimes. This is what police themselves say, publically(in the media, or on Twitter) and privately. Save for a few exceptions it's shown already a massive waste of police time and can only lead, ultimately, to more censorship and spying - and that's at the cost of democratic freedoms that distinguish Western Europe from a country like China or Saudi Arabia.

What's happening is - and this is again in direct contrast with your strange argument - that the media are pushing forward and witch-hunting people to sell papers, in the worst cases they're effectively badgering the police and politicians to make guilty people who haven't commited any real world crimes, in lesser, more frequent cases they're encouraging impressionable and idiotic children - and idiotic adults - to waste police times by reporting similar non-crimes.

Stories such as this are in the media every day.

In Britain, today, you can say outside of the internet far more than you can on it. In recent months, in Britain, there has been a plethora of nonsese charges against people for nothing more than holding an opinion online. Whether it's some random Muslim having an opinion on British soldiers or some random calling a politician a merkin, we've learned that it's no longer acceptable to speak on the internet as you would off it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/19269353

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/aug/21/social-media-stifle-literary-endeavour

Funny that throughout the thread you've been most insulting, continually turning to character attacking people who disagree with you, portraying everybody else as knuckle-dragging scum. I suppose because you don't swear and opt to use use long, drawn out sentences when belittling people that you're somehow better than say, Frailty, for getting to the point and just calling you a merkin. Both of you have done the same thing, but because you express yourself in a different way you're innocent of the same crime? That's what it seems like.

Looking at Britain and the increasing censorship and policing of individual thought, Thatcher herself will outlive my hompeage: isthatcherdeadyet.co.uk :lol:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I haven't attacked anyone, friend. If it's inferred that I think I'm better than people for my view, then that's not what I set out to do. I just originally said I cannot believe that more people seemingly think it's a Farah fault than the original tweeter's fault. They're quicker to point out he should ignore it than the tweeter should be ashamed of themselves and there should be some sort of comeuppance.

But since then, I worked out it was a biased audience. So I understand. People want anonymity and the ability to let off a bit of steam and call people names.

To me, posts like this - Twitter is a promotional tool - if you put yourself up for public critic then you should bear it all - the price you pay i am sorry but that is life - are ridiculous. It's the same group that think they get to go to the footy and abuse players, annoy them in public, feel like they actually own a piece of them. It's a part of society that I truly cannot understand.

betcats

Referee
I haven't attacked anyone, friend. If it's inferred that I think I'm better than people for my view, then that's not what I set out to do. I just originally said I cannot believe that more people seemingly think it's a Farah fault than the original tweeter's fault. They're quicker to point out he should ignore it than the tweeter should be ashamed of themselves and there should be some sort of comeuppance.

But since then, I worked out it was a biased audience. So I understand. People want anonymity and the ability to let off a bit of steam and call people names.

To me, posts like this - Twitter is a promotional tool - if you put yourself up for public critic then you should bear it all - the price you pay i am sorry but that is life - are ridiculous. It's the same group that think they get to go to the footy and abuse players, annoy them in public, feel like they actually own a piece of them. It's a part of society that I truly cannot understand.

Thats not the reason. Your argument has been picked apart on all levels(by other posters) and yet you keep acting like people are against you because we want to troll on twitter. f**k off.

We do not want our police wasting time internet trolls cause fairys like you keep getting upset.

Doomednow

Bench

You're making assumptions about everyone here and implying we are all cretins whether you realise it or not. I don't care what you *intended*, that's what's happening and you're coming across as overly self-righteous. You are dismissing other people's opinions and arguments as illegitimate, biased, and less important than yours for no good reason other than they don't align with your moral crusade. And the worst part is you are indirectly insulting people when you do it.

That's why you're copping some hostility. You're not prepared to consider other points of view and everyone who has one must be a lesser person than you.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The tweet to Farah was done by a nutter > what we are learning in all of this is that there are more nutters out there than anyone ever thought.

Move on nothing to see here except a few votes for PM Julia and then she will drop Farah like a hot spud. :lol:
It is NSW Premier Barry O'Farrell who has directly intervened and volunteered himself. Farah tweeted Gillard demanding some action, pretty sure she hasn't responded.

Edit: PM's office has apparently replied to Farah (not the PM herself and not by Twitter). The point is, Farah approached her, not the other way around. O'Farrell on the other hand was all over this from the get go.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
You're making assumptions about everyone here and implying we are all cretins whether you realise it or not. I don't care what you *intended*, that's what's happening and you're coming across as overly self-righteous. You are dismissing other people's opinions and arguments as illegitimate, biased, and less important than yours for no good reason other than they don't align with your moral crusade. And the worst part is you are indirectly insulting people when you do it.

That's why you're copping some hostility. You're not prepared to consider other points of view and everyone who has one must be a lesser person than you.

This is what wanted to say. Well said.

Joe's Magpies

Juniors
Why?

Is it pathetic to be strong enough to not react to someone who is just trying to get a reaction out of you?

You sound very childish and immature.

How am I sounding childish & immature. It's easy to say walk away and dont respond but if you were in his shoes you would do the same thing.

Farah was defending his late mothers honor. If you saw the comments that troll made you would to.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Thats not the reason. Your argument has been picked apart on all levels(by other posters) and yet you keep acting like people are against you because we want to troll on twitter. f**k off.

We do not want our police wasting time internet trolls cause fairys like you keep getting upset.

It's not the reason? So why is the original tweeter under a pseudonym? I have a handle here because I'm
not particularly concerned about having an identity - I just want to discuss league. Others id wager, especially on twitter, do it so they can hide behind a username.

It's clear what the league unlimited forum's take on this is, and that's fair. I'll stick to my opinion that it would be vastly different in a non-message board poll and leave it at that.

And if I'm a fairy for believing sexual messages about peoples dead mothers should be dealt with, then I look forward to flying out to the groceries as opposed to driving.

Doomednow

Bench
It's not the reason? So why is the original tweeter under a pseudonym? I have a handle here because I'm
not particularly concerned about having an identity - I just want to discuss league. Others id wager, especially on twitter, do it so they can hide behind a username.

So it's ok for you to do it because you have a legitimate reason but everyone else just does it to harass people. Ffs.

The original tweeter is using a pseudonym because internet sites require you to have a handle. Your attitude suggests a very narrow understanding of the internet.

I'll stick to my opinion that it would be vastly different in a non-message board poll and leave it at that.

An assumption based on nothing except your own inability to consider that other points of view might be legitimate.

And again you've just insulted everyone by implying they are cowards.

Latest posts