What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels sign Josh Papalii for 2014

Ratchy

Juniors
Unfortunately for Parramatta, it isn't as simple as that.
And their contract isn't worth the paper it's written on until Round 13.

And the NRL won't necessarily register Papali's contract either, have a look at what happened with Steve Turner for instance.

I'm happy if we just pull out of the deal. If he wanted to be here he would of said something by now.

Just end this mess.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/le...s-canberra-fight-for-star-20130225-2f23x.html

. THEY spilled blood together to help Canberra to their last premiership, but there will be no room for nostalgia as Ricky Stuart and David Furner ramp up their battle for Josh Papalii's signature.
While Parramatta coach Stuart was playing at Royal Canberra in his charity golf day on Monday, the Raiders officially began their quest to stop Papalii's defection to the Eels.
Canberra board member Terry Weber, a senior partner at PricewaterhouseCoopers, met with corporate sponsors keen to help bolster Papalii's contract through third-party assistance.
Advertisement

Paramatta announced on Friday night they had signed the Raiders back-rower on a $1.5 million, three-year deal, beginning next year.
Under NRL guidelines, Canberra have until round 13 to change Papalii's mind, and club officials are privately optimistic they can do so.
Stuart's golf day raises money for autism research, a condition his daughter has, but he teed off at the media before doing so with his clubs.
He refused to discuss the Papalii situation, brushing aside reporters when asked about the contract stand-off.
Weber helped the Raiders re-sign star fullback Josh Dugan last year, and told Fairfax Media he would ''do everything possible'' to also help keep Papalii in lime green.
''Terry's influence, we're going to need that to get close [to Parramatta's offer],'' Raiders coach Furner said. ''That's why that rule [round 13] is in place, it gives the incumbent club the last possible chance.
''Terry's a big supporter of the Raiders and we're very happy about it, but it's going to take time.
''I said to him [Papalii] on Saturday he just has to be thinking about footy, and he assured me he'll be doing that. We're lucky to have that round 13 [clause], and we have an opportunity.''
Papalii is one of a host of Raiders stars off contract at the end of this season, with halfback Sam Williams, centre Jarrod Croker, second-rower Joel Thompson, hooker Glen Buttriss and prop Brett White heading the list.
The Raiders traditionally lock up required players well before contracts expire, but the fact the salary cap for this season was not settled until last week hindered those efforts.
Furner conceded the club is fighting an uphill battle to keep the squad intact, regardless of how the Papalii situation is resolved.
''Josh is still a priority, but we've got other priorities as well,'' Furner said. ''Those other players are priorities as well. We can get to a certain mark with Josh and we're hoping that all gets sorted out.
''I'd like to keep them all [but the] reality will be I probably can't. As players are playing more first grade and becoming better players with opportunities to represent … the reality is you can't. ''
The Raiders have been a vocal campaigner for junior concessions for some time, and Furner insists the idea has merit.
Furner said his team must guard against contract discussions becoming a distraction as they look to qualify for finals in consecutive years for the first time since 2003-04.

Gee I hope this does not only on for half the season

It's the Canberra Times mate.....the Raiders scope for 3rd party stuff is fairly limited, and if they use it on Papalii (without cheating) they've got very little left for any other player they want to keep. Unlike Brisbane, there isn't much private sector money floating around to sponsor players, particularly given competition from the Brumbies.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Canberra Raiders forward Josh Papalii says he has not yet committed to Eels for next season
Josh Massoud
The Daily Telegraph
February 26, 2013 12:00AM

Increase Text Size
Decrease Text Size
Print
SHAREFacebookTwitterEmail

Canberra Raiders forward Josh Papalii says he has not yet decided his playing future. Picture: Kym Smith Source: The Daily Telegraph

JOSH Papalii has told his Canberra Raiders teammates to disregard reports he's headed to Parramatta next season.

News Limited can reveal Papalii addressed the Canberra squad ahead of last Saturday night's trial win over Canterbury in Goulburn.

He spoke up after Parramatta issued a press release to announce a three-year deal the previous evening.

Canberra are trying to exploit a contractual loophole that allows the holding club to negotiate until round 13.

Former skipper Mal Meninga has also been privately encouraging Papalii to stay with the Raiders, who are desperate to arouse third-party corporate support to keep the blockbusting 20-year-old.

It's understood the Parramatta deal is worth around $400,000-a-season - well in excess of what Canberra could initially offer.

Papalii had previously spoken to teammates about Parramatta's courtship.

He expressed a desire to remain in Canberra, but couldn't ignore the big money.

But then came last weekend's address, which cleared the air among the squad. "Josh is a pretty quietly spoken kid, but he just got up to say 'Don't believe everything you read'," a Raiders insider said.

"He didn't say he'd be staying in Canberra for sure, but he's still not decided on what he wants to do."

That Papalii has signed a contract is of no comfort to the Eels, who've worked for months to secure a top recruit.

Coach Ricky Stuart even signed up Papalii in the presence of his mother, whom Raiders officials moved to Canberra to help the Kiwi-born forward adjust to life away from his Brisbane home.

The Eels won't be amused if Papalii backflips, with the contractual back-out clause not popular among many clubs and agents. Five years ago, the Raiders were stung when Nathan Smith decided to renege on a deal and stay with Penrith.

Luke Lewis did likewise to Souths a few months earlier.

"Not one of my players has that clause in their contracts. I strike it out for every deal," one leading player agent said.

Former Raiders skipper Alan Tongue also disagreed with the rule allowing players to backflip, but nevertheless hopes Papalii will remain loyal.

"He's a great young player and I could fully understand why Parramatta have thrown big bucks at him," Tongue said.

"I really hope we can do something at Canberra that allows him to stay."

Penrith have signed former Warriors halfback Isaac John for the 2013 NRL season. John links with his old coach at the Warriors Ivan Cleary.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-for-next-season/story-e6frexnr-1226585424488

oldmancraigy

Coach
''Josh is still a priority, but we've got other priorities as well,'' Furner said. ''Those other players are priorities as well. We can get to a certain mark with Josh and we're hoping that all gets sorted out.

I'd say this is the telling comment!

Could be that we've got Papali pegged for a marquee player payment, and the issue for the Raiders is finding a sponsor who can help them get the marquee sponsorship to that while at the same time finding space in the cap to fit him in at the same rate as our offer.

Translation:
Furner: "We're gooorne"

oldmancraigy

Coach
hard to believe anything this guy says

Papali?

He's not saying anything in that article.

Papalii had previously spoken to teammates about Parramatta's courtship.

He expressed a desire to remain in Canberra, but couldn't ignore the big money.

But then came last weekend's address, which cleared the air among the squad. "Josh is a pretty quietly spoken kid, but he just got up to say 'Don't believe everything you read'," a Raiders insider said.

"He didn't say he'd be staying in Canberra for sure, but he's still not decided on what he wants to do."

Reads to me like old news. Before the announcement was made, he'd spoken to teammates and told them he wasn't sure. But didn't tell them he'd be staying...

Raider_69

Post Whore
If the insider is to be believed, that clearing the air session came before our bulldogs trial, which was the day after Parramatta announced his deal

Im just not sure why some of you have such issue admitting the kid is still trying to decide his future.

strider

Post Whore
i can admit it

tho i call it something else - i call it deciding whether he should weasel out of a deal he signed under good faith

emjaycee

Coach
If the insider is to be believed, that clearing the air session came before our bulldogs trial, which was the day after Parramatta announced his deal

Im just not sure why some of you have such issue admitting the kid is still trying to decide his future.

If any of us have an issue admitting that Papalii is still trying to decide his future, it would be because he did decide his future the day he signed his name to a contract with Parramatta.

Unless of course he was undecided and just wanted to use us for an each-way bet.
If that is the case, then I for one would like to hear him say he is undecided and was undecided when he signed with us and then I would like Ken Edwards to cut him loose.

The Colonel

Immortal

Probably because the Raiders have placed a media ban on the kid and aren't letting him say anything. Instead they are using 'an insider' to talk for him.

Raider_69

Post Whore
tho i call it something else - i call it deciding whether he should weasel out of a deal he signed under good faith

Fair call.
But him and his manager are only playing the hand the NRL has allowed them to be dealt. I'd be feeling the same way with the shoe on the other foot. No one wants their club to be paying good money for a guy that doesnt want to be there. Frankly as a Raiders fans, i couldnt give a shit if you blokes think he's a lying dirt bag if it means he stays with the Raiders. He's a talented kid and where ever he lands is going to get, i think, this generations Rubin Wiki.

The bloke needs to sit down with those nearest and dearest and figure out what he wants to do, it's fairly apparent whether he signed a deal or not, his mind was far from made up.

I dont know whether he's a machiavellian genius, who is purposely leveraging Parramatta's deal against the ours to get more cash out of us, or just a kid who's made some honest mistakes in signing a deal before he was sure he wanted to leave, or he's just blowing smoke up Canberra's arse to make life a bit easier for himself during his final year.

Hopefully we get a result in the coming days, one way or the other, so both clubs can move on to other areas of recruitment and retention with some air of certainity.

Chipmunk

Coach
I would be looking for a 'plan B' here. I doubt he really wants to play here except for the cash. We have had far too many poor performing recruits (Poore, Tonga and Sandow as a start) over the last few years who have come mainly for the cash.

In the end the Raiders will pay more than they really want to. I would be looking at other options NOW to sure up our position for 2014

El Diablo

Post Whore
this.

Let him stay at Canberra for less cash.

yup

Parra should tell his manager they'll tear up the ontract right now unless he comes out in public and says he wants to come

the Raiders would only need to pay him peanuts then if he didn't do it

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Still no direct quote from Papalii just dribble from a club insider and Furner, until the guy comes out himself and says he's staying it's just media spin and Cannnn-Brrrra trying to save face.

strider

Post Whore
Fair call.
But him and his manager are only playing the hand the NRL has allowed them to be dealt. I'd be feeling the same way with the shoe on the other foot. No one wants their club to be paying good money for a guy that doesnt want to be there. Frankly as a Raiders fans, i couldnt give a shit if you blokes think he's a lying dirt bag if it means he stays with the Raiders. He's a talented kid and where ever he lands is going to get, i think, this generations Rubin Wiki.

The bloke needs to sit down with those nearest and dearest and figure out what he wants to do, it's fairly apparent whether he signed a deal or not, his mind was far from made up.

I dont know whether he's a machiavellian genius, who is purposely leveraging Parramatta's deal against the ours to get more cash out of us, or just a kid who's made some honest mistakes in signing a deal before he was sure he wanted to leave, or he's just blowing smoke up Canberra's arse to make life a bit easier for himself during his final year.

Hopefully we get a result in the coming days, one way or the other, so both clubs can move on to other areas of recruitment and retention with some air of certainity.

i didn't read all your post (i'm about to rush out the door) ....but the thing is I don't believe you'd find good honourable players "playing the hand the nrl allows them" .... guys like petro, hindy, etc etc etc .... they wouldn't f**k around - they sign a deal then thats THE deal ..... i know he's just a kid but if he wants 500K then he needs to grow the f**k up

Latest posts