What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boxing Fans --- Your Top 5 Pound-Pound Ever?

Amadaca

Juniors
Non-fans could also use this thread if they had a budding interest, or just idle curiosity, to learn a little about some of the greatest names the sport has ever seen, but who are poorly-recognised (especially in a non-Boxing country like Australia).

My top 5 greatest ever...

1) Henry Armstrong
2) Harry Greb
3) Sam Langford
4) Ray Robinson
5) Ezzard Charles

Non-fans may or may not be surprised to hear Muhammad Ali almost never figures in a list like this for fans & historians alike. Simply not good enough --- that's the type of calibre fighter we're talking above, where even someone like Ali can't get a look-in.

Amadaca

Juniors
Langford? Greb? Charles?

Can't see any case for Ali, Duran or Louis over these guys (great as they all were).

BDR

First Grade
I can only really comment on those that I've seen with my own eyes - via footage or in real life. I'd come up with:

Marvin Hagler
Muhammad Ali
Roberto Duran
Julio Cesar Chavez
Sugar Ray Leonard

I think some of the great names of the past are fascinating to study - Dempsey, Johnson, Greb, Pep, Robinson - the list goes on and on. But it's foolish to say they are the best of all time when you have only grainy footage and vague witness accounts to go by.

Amadaca

Juniors
Ali is frequently cited as one of the top 5 pound for pound of all-time by boxing experts. To suggest he wasn't good enough is simply laughable.

http://boxing.about.com/od/history/a/ring_80_best.htm

Sugar Ray is also almost unanimously regarded as the greatest ever.

Ali has no case whatsoever for the top 5. None. Top 10? Again, Id say no, but maybe.

However you are really showing your depth of knowledge if you think Ali is top 5 P4P material. It isn't about Ali not being great --- its about the crazy greatness others have achieved.

Example, take a look at Ezzard Charles' resume. Its comfortably better than Ali's, even though Ali himself has a staggering CV.

Last edited:

andrew057

First Grade
Ali has no case whatsoever for the top 5. None. Top 10? Again, Id say no, but maybe.

However you are really showing your depth of knowledge if you think Ali is top 5 P4P material. It isn't about Ali not being great --- its about the crazy greatness others have achieved.

Example, take a look at Ezzard Charles' resume. Its comfortably better than Ali's, even though Ali himself has a staggering CV.

In your opinion.

Amadaca

Juniors
There's no opinion to it.

Ali doesn't have the CV to be top 5. You guys have me wondering how much you know about Charles, Greb, Langford, Armstrong, Robinson, Leonard (both of them), Pep...Ali is magnificent but no way, no how, no chance does even he warrant top 5.

Tommy Smith

Referee
STFU. "Look at me, look at me, i know so much more about boxing than you!"

Even more than Ring Magazine, apparently.

andrew057

First Grade
There's no opinion to it.

Ali doesn't have the CV to be top 5. You guys have me wondering how much you know about Charles, Greb, Langford, Armstrong, Robinson, Leonard (both of them), Pep...Ali is magnificent but no way, no how, no chance does even he warrant top 5.

How much do you know about Greb? Whats his best win? How did he look in that fight? You know Amadaca?

andrew057

First Grade
I'm sure he'll get back to you once he's done a bit of research on wikipedia.

Unfortunately for Amadaca theres no footage of Greb in any of his fights.

So Greb being in the top 5 is based entirely on his record and whats written about him(opinions.)

But theres no opinions, Greb is a top 5 P4P fighter apparently :roll:

coolsteve

Juniors
How much do you know about Greb? Whats his best win? How did he look in that fight? You know Amadaca?
i`ll help him. Harry `the human windmill`Greb,as a middleweight,beat Gunboat Smith, a heavyweight, in one round in 1920.And I thought Tommy Raudonikis was the first `human windmill`

coolsteve

Juniors
just for the record ,sam langford -first pro fight,1902.harry greb,1923.henry armstrong, 1931.ezzard charles,1937.ray robinson,1940.How old are you, amadaca?

Not a huge boxing fan but we all know Bradman is the best ever batsman just from stats. Are the boxers he named has far ahead of the pack as the Don is?

Tommy Smith

Referee
Absolutely not. You could easily make a case for the likes of Sugar Ray Leonard, Joe Louis, Willie Pep and Muhammad Ali just to name a few who are worthy of the top 5.