What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings and Even More Crap X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since when are NRL players public servants with their salaries paid from the public purse? Why should their salaries be public knowledge? Is your salary publically available?

any time a player signs a contract the media will pull a number out of their arse anyway if they are going to talk about their salaries they might as well use the correct figure

Gronk

Staff member
We lost a major sponsor because Spags got punted ? I'll put that claim on the same shelf as the assertion that 3P had a major Bank lined up after Fitzy's demise.

Until I see facts, it's just more political hyperbole.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Since when are NRL players public servants with their salaries paid from the public purse? Why should their salaries be public knowledge? Is your salary publically available?

a) it's not difficult to determine where someone's salary lies in the age of collective bargaining agreements and the internet

For example, TrueEel makes the following:
http://www.glassdoor.com.au/Hourly-Pay/McDonald-s-Crew-Member-Hourly-Pay-E432_D_KO11,22.htm

b) NRL players (and sports figures in general) absolutely get paid from the public purse. Not by the government, but by the public who support their teams and watch their programs. They make money from interested parties, and if there is a salary cap system in place, interested parties love to know what kind of "bang for buck" they are getting out of a player, or how equitable the playing field really is!

Many American sports do not reveal actual contracts to the public, but information on deals is 'leaked' (by the head office?) so that fans can keep up with who is a bargain and who ought to be maligned. AND ALSO for the purposes of salary matching in trade agreements.

A site like this: http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/index.jsp
displays NBA salaries, and their 'soft cap' system allows for trading between clubs based on salary, and a luxury tax on big spenders which is then distributed to those who do not overspend.

I'm a huge fan of a 'soft cap' (which we have in the NRL through the 'marquee player allowance and long serving player allowance anyway) and trades AND releasing information.
It gives the general public another aspect to be excited about in following their club.

eg: we're going terribly this year, would be fantastic if we could be dreaming about trading away some veterans to a team in contention to help 'stiffen them up' while clearing cap space to offer more to other players in future years, or stockpile young talent.

Last edited:

Jodeci

Bench
jodeci you come across as a sore loser 3p supporter - who do you support more, your 3p mates or the Eels?

If it's the Eels you would(should) never have made that post.

I'm a supporter. I along with some great people on here (Mits, Stagger and co) attend everygame possible whether its International or Domestic cause I attend every game in NSW. (This does not mean I'm a bigger suppoter than anyone on this great site)

I put my money back into the club buy buying memberships for not only myself but my family who at times don't turn up so I have paid for season tickets that hardly gets used.

I buy merchandise from the clubs store ensuring I don't go to Peter Wynns and co cause I want the money to go back to the club.

I buy my own season launch tickets and purchase my away tickets.

And your asking me the question whether I'm a supporter or not?

Surely you must be kidding.

Sure I'm privy to some info just like other people are, so I suppose you don't want me to post any signings, rumours or info that could better fellow eels fans on this site?

Daneel

Bench
Just because in your opinion they are shit sports doesn't mean it still doesn't apply.

And if $$$ is the case why have the Rays been able to compete with the Yankees for the last few years despite having over a $100 million a year difference in payroll. It's moronic to compare US sports to Australian......

Well it turns out your opinion sux because one of them doesn't even have a salary cap which of course i didn't know cause i don't like sh*t sports and yes if i say the sport is sh*t than it doesn't apply. Just because a sport is in america doesn't mean it can't be compared with a sport that isn't.

It is moronic to talk about baseball fullstop. A salary cap in america would have the same consequences as a salary cap in australia you moron just on a larger scale.

maybe punting ando was the right move but my issue is can any one of the people who hired kearney HONESTLY put their hand on their heart and say he was the best possible replacement they could find?

a rookie assistant coach who had never coached a reggies team fulltime let alone a first grade one?

i'll admit he had some success coaching nz but its easier to coach standalone games with a group of talented and experienced professionals than managing a club squad week to week (just ask ricky stuart)

But conversely, how many of those on this forum bagging the SK appointment were against his appointment in the first place? I don't remember too many objectors. Sure plenty of people were dirty that DA got the arse, but once that was done I remember most people being fairly positive about SK coming on board.

In hindsight, both decisions were probably flawed, but what is done I done and nothing can change it now. Personally I didn't think Sticky was a good choice either (I could still be right on that), but he was probably the best option at the time, given the alternatives, so we simply have to support the clubs decision, support the team, support the board (what ever make up that is) and move on. This political point scoring bullshit is getting old.

Gronk

Staff member
Tell me that Russell Packer did not have a piss on the field last night. The sponsors would be queuing up to align themselves to that image. Not.

#dillbrain

IFR33K

Coach
But conversely, how many of those on this forum bagging the SK appointment were against his appointment in the first place? I don't remember too many objectors. Sure plenty of people were dirty that DA got the arse, but once that was done I remember most people being fairly positive about SK coming on board.

You kidding, aren't you?

eel4life

Juniors
How have they done anything yet? Because of Rob Sassen and now Eric Grothe Senior ( by reports) dogging it we don't even have a board. Maybe when some of them stop playing games and f**king around we can work out who is actually on the board and let them get on with the job. Blaming anyone for anything now is completely immature and nothing short of laughable. We don't even have a f**king board yet.

Makes it worse they stuffed it up without a board being established wow

Status
Not open for further replies.