What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next Time On An All New TV General Discussion Thread

Apey

Staff member
Anyone else a sucker for Attenborough documentaries?

Africa has been pretty good so far.

Big Pete

Referee
Finally finished off The Wire.

I wouldn't say it's my favourite show of all time but I'm completely on board with the show's appreciation. What more can be said? It's a really well thought out show with multi-layered characters that makes even the most bureaucratic situations absurdly fascinating.

I can't say I understood all of it, seemed like if you ever zoned out for even a scene the entire complexion of the story would change so it's definitely one of those shows I'll have to get back to down the line. However based on what I watched, I must say I really found Season 1 to be my favourite.

Largely because it seemed like the longer the series went, the tougher the process became for the police and the drug syndicates and seemed to be more about jumping through hoops. Where as in series 1, it was a smart group of hungry policemen trying to get one up on a very well organised and interesting organisation.

If I was ranking them I'd go...

Red Bear

Referee
388580_241134189366427_814292251_n.jpg

fap.gif

Misanthrope

Staff member
Game of Thrones needs more episodes a season. 10 is not enough - as evidenced by how packed the premiere was without even featuring every important plotline - but also not enough because we have to wait so damn long between seasons.

Conversely, TWD feels like it could be a few episodes shorter.

chrisD

Coach
New episodes of Vikings, GOT, finale of Spartacus and season premiere of The Borgias. Best weekend of television ever.

Amadaca

Juniors
Feels like I used to watch so many more shows than I do now, but...

Community
Modern Family
American Dad!
Family Guy
Tosh.O
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Veep

Honestly, I spend as much time watching re-runs of Seinfeld, Frasier, Arrested Development & MASH. Probably my four favourite shows of all-time. When they appear, Just Shoot Me! & Becker are quite welcome, too.

Shows like Workaholics & The League aren't bad & can fill empty spots pretty well, but they seem a long way short of the standard set by 90's comedy.

Anyone know what happened to Rules Of Engagement? Was a big fan, but it just vanished.

Last edited:

Spud

Juniors
Just watched the pilot of The Newsroom. Looks like a sleeper hit with some potential, although I feel parts of the Mackenzie/Will side story will become an unwanted distraction down the line

Last edited:
Oz doesn't get enough recognition for its pioneering efforts at a time when TV full of shitty sit-com garbage like Everybody Loves Raymond, Becker, Dharma & Greg and Friends.

Television these days IMO is far superior to film, at least mainstream Hollywood blockbusters anyway. Story depth and character development is so much deeper in television these days than you can get in to a 2 hour film.

Currently about to start on House of Cards, good to hear it is good and that Kevin Spacey was good too.

My current favourites: Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Dexter, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Justified and Boardwalk Empire. Tossing up between Louie and Hannibal that I will go through next with probably another half-a-dozen essentials being left out. There is seriously just too much good stuff to keep up to date with.

Has anyone watch Bate's Motel? See the ad all the time on foxtel. It looks alright.

Big Pete

Referee
I had a similar interest in Bates but was informed it suffers from typical teenage corniness that a lot of those Fox 8 shows have. Should watch it myself before judging.

Louie is a really interesting show in the sense that the plot points play out very organically and are very rarely touched on again. I found it very easy to watch through and it'd be right up your alley TT.

natheel

Coach
Oz doesn't get enough recognition for its pioneering efforts at a time when TV full of shitty sit-com garbage like Everybody Loves Raymond, Becker, Dharma & Greg and Friends.

Television these days IMO is far superior to film, at least mainstream Hollywood blockbusters anyway. Story depth and character development is so much deeper in television these days than you can get in to a 2 hour film.

Currently about to start on House of Cards, good to hear it is good and that Kevin Spacey was good too.

My current favourites: Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Dexter, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Justified and Boardwalk Empire. Tossing up between Louie and Hannibal that I will go through next with probably another half-a-dozen essentials being left out. There is seriously just too much good stuff to keep up to date with.

Has anyone watch Bate's Motel? See the ad all the time on foxtel. It looks alright.

Bates motel isn't bad actually. It does have that teen feel to it with the drama but it does capture the fear and creepiness that Norman bates put into people in psycho. It is a show you need to watch for yourself though. But I do enjoy it.

natheel

Coach
Go On, Matthew Perry's new show is pretty good. I really enjoy it well.

Watched the first few episodes of Suits, it was okay, but yeah not going to keep watching, to be honest I prefer Franklin and Bash.

Go on is a good show. Really got into it.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Does anyway watch Falling Skies?

I'm not usually into Sci-Fi stuff but I reckon it's awesome.

Last edited:

roofromoz

First Grade
I have seen the opening 2 episodes of Parks (it was shown back to back in the States), where most of the core members go to London... very enjoyable. Will watch episode 3 after the footy tonight.

Not a big TV watcher per se, but I am on the lookout for a new show. Keen to give Mad Men a go... is the hype justified?

Dogs Of War

Coach
Been watching hostages and finding it really good drama. Good twists and turns. Recommended for a watch.

Springs

First Grade
Watched seasons 1 & 2 of American Horror Story. Both started out as intriguing mysteries and both petered out into nothing. Disappointing really. Didn't really get any closure or answers for any of the originally great storylines.