What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Sign Michael WITT

tumbidragon

First Grade
Dragons are the kings of signing people that make you say "who the f is that?". It's like they're allergic to decent players, or they're trying to prove some point about how it's possible to win the comp with no legit first graders in the squad. They achieved it in 2010 and should move on and start trying to get serious.
Yeah because Duges, Thompson, Widdop, Williams etc. aren't decent players...

True, but I think most people can guess that Williams and co will more than likely start for cutters. I am sure they'll get first grade game time at some point but not first choice selections for mine:

Forward pack: creagh, rein, stockwell, Thompson, Merrin, de belin. Bench: Hunt, Harrison, frizzel, Quinlan.

Backs: Stanley, widdop, Farrell, Beale, Dugan, Morris, nightingale.

Not sure what's to argue with? Cooper, groat, Williams will probably start for cutters.

Going to struggle again in 2014.....bottom 4 finish IMO.
You've got quality backs but your starting forward pack lacks mongrel & size. Fat Albert doesn't cut the mustard as your recruitment/retension guy. The release of Vidot was just plain dumb & to allow Hastings to move on lacks vision.
Slice Price & oust Doust > your mob seriously needs to change their "job for the boys" mantra and inject fresh professionals into the football club otherwise more of the same for several more years.

The above assessment might rile you diehards but it's an honest assessment from a rival fan who enjoyed & often envied watching PAST Dragons teams.

Tone83

Juniors
Duges kind of is, but with a tonne of baggage, question marks and drama. The rest aren't. No.

bottle

Coach
Duges kind of is, but with a tonne of baggage, question marks and drama. The rest aren't. No.
Is there some reason you've decided all of a sudden to come in here and annoy us? Is it because you are the laughing stock of the main forum with your loopy crazy ideas like winger being the most important position on the field, and Dave Taylor being a better player than $BW? Given the latter, I doubt anyone is going to take seriously any assessment of player quality that you might make.

Go away now kid, you bother me.

bottle

Coach
You've got quality backs but your starting forward pack lacks mongrel & size. Fat Albert doesn't cut the mustard as your recruitment/retension guy. The release of Vidot was just plain dumb & to allow Hastings to move on lacks vision.
Slice Price & oust Doust > your mob seriously needs to change their "job for the boys" mantra and inject fresh professionals into the football club otherwise more of the same for several more years.

The above assessment might rile you diehards but it's an honest assessment from a rival fan who enjoyed & often envied watching PAST Dragons teams.

Taking this post at face value and assuming it's not trolling, I'll reply.
You'll get some agreement regarding the need for some size up front.
However you can't come in here and cast aspersions about player losses without some background knowledge.

Craig Young's role has changed for starters.

Vidot was moved on following a number of disciplinary issues. We don't lack for backs (and hence potential wing replacements) as you've already identified yourself. He doesn't appear to have the makings of a backrower, so he was surplus to requirement and offered little value. Better to move him on and hopefully have some funds to acquire the size you referred to if it becomes available. Astute management decision for mine.

Hastings was not 'let go'. The club fought hard to keep him. There were other issues at play including his familial ties to the Rorts and Uncle Nicks extraordinary salary cap management skills.

Dude, in truth your assessment isn't far off the money. But Vidot? He's a clown. Are you a Bronco trolling? You've signed a stone cold idiot there.

And what Dragons teams from the past did you enjoy and envy? We've only won one comp since 1979. I basically enjoyed the teams from 2010 and 1996. That's it. And I'm stuck with them.

jenninga

First Grade

Thanks Sherlock,by the way are you a Donkey supporter ,scum or Raider fan.I f so you should look after your own backyard .

jenninga

First Grade
Dude, in truth your assessment isn't far off the money. But Vidot? He's a clown. Are you a Bronco trolling? You've signed a stone cold idiot there.

And what Dragons teams from the past did you enjoy and envy? We've only won one comp since 1979. I basically enjoyed the teams from 2010 and 1996. That's it. And I'm stuck with them.

Probably 1987-89

So is someone like myself who forms opinions and expresses them considered a troll? :? . Toughen up and take the emotion out of it.
Every diehard loves their club but can become too blinded to see if they cannot step back and think objectively ;-)

Craig Young's role has changed for starters.
If it has changed is his new role a credible one or as i stated previously - a way of looking after one of your own??? Seriously, with all due respect to one of your legends, fresh faces with fresh ideas must overide nepotism otherwise expect the same old shite over and over again.
For e.g with the advent of NYC in 2008, in 2009 the Roosters decided to part ways with their stalwart Artie Beetson & got the best recruitment guy in the business (albeit one of your former lower grade player/coach). That decision upset many but 4 yrs on it delivered a premiership & a good production of youngsters coming thru to grade.
Same with the coaching personnel. Out with Freddie & the mad professor Smith & in with Trent Robinson, Jason Taylor, Paul Green....as i said fresh faces.
Paul McGregor as Price's assistant??? Might be a good bloke but Paul's credentials hardly set the world on fire. No lower grade titles to speak of. So if Price gets the ass after 10 or 15 rounds one would have to assume McGregor steps up etc..Do you honestly believe he has the ability or experience to take over?

Vidot was moved on following a number of disciplinary issues. We don't lack for backs (and hence potential wing replacements) as you've already identified yourself. He doesn't appear to have the makings of a backrower, so he was surplus to requirement and offered little value. Better to move him on.
Bottle, EVERY club has a player or two who get more than a couple of chances depending on their ability. I've always rated Daniel since the first time i watched him playing NYC for the Raiders. He's young and has heaps of ability. IMO Saints should have perservered with him because of his versatility and back-up. If you guys get a few injuries or SOO reps your backline depth (1-5) is going to be seriously tested. You're going to have to rely on rookies without much FG experience.

Hastings was not 'let go'. The club fought hard to keep him. There were other issues at play including his familial ties to the Rorts and Uncle Nicks extraordinary salary cap management skills.

That's bullshit. I posted the truth before the signing was announced but one of your diligent moderators didn't like it & deleted them. The Dragons didn't take the offer from Easts seriously....took for granted Jackson's local boy thing. Once they assessed the gravity of it all they promised him an upgraded deal, once SG Ball was over they played him in NYC with a view of training with FG in the 2013/14
off season - all too late.
I will say this though, the Illawarra region is vastly considered by many astute talent scouts/player recruitment dudes as "rich in natural resources". Just hope for your clubs sake that they identify the right ones at a good age, nurture them through & treat them with respect.

Last edited:

Your teams of the late 90's to 2005 were bloody competitive.
My mob and yours enjoyed some epic encounters even before the official Anzac Day game. I always remember that game (2003?) @ the SFS when Head kicked across field in the dying minute and Cooper scored off it. Done again :fist:

Did use to play a little hooker? Could be played as the back up hooker other wise I think he is purely going to be depth. We will be fielding one of the youngest sides in the comp next year so a little experience around the training paddock will not go astray. From what I remember he was a zippy little player

mmmm ... a 'depth' signing for St.George Illawarra - that's unusual. Not sure where they are going with this one. Well at least he's here for the long term, so he can really settle in and develop his game. Dr FB and BrissyRedV are right, this is the mongrel-zippy-little-hooker-forward we've been looking for that will ensure our fearsome pack will dominate in 2014.

What the? 8-[

BrissyRedV

Bench
mmmm ... a 'depth' signing for St.George Illawarra - that's unusual. Not sure where they are going with this one. Well at least he's here for the long term, so he can really settle in and develop his game. Dr FB and BrissyRedV are right, this is the mongrel-zippy-little-hooker-forward we've been looking for that will ensure our fearsome pack will dominate in 2014.

What the? 8-[

Just trying to figure out why/where he fits into Dousts recruitment plan. He won't see the light of first grade no doubt and he is definately not the messiah. But hey, be a douche about it. Not to many marquee players out there on the market

Last edited:

Mr Red

First Grade
so we sign Michael Witt, whilst the Knights sign Michael Dobson.... well done dragons.
apart from being 2 years younger, Dobson is twice the player Witt is, and Dobson is a genuine "triangle" player, can play hooker just as readily as in the halves..

i know which one i would prefer..

Mr Red

First Grade
Dobson is much closer to first grade than Witt is and I would probably say more expensive

agree would be slightly more expensive but i do think we still have cap space to move and could have afforded him.
Dobson IMO would have slotted straight into the 17, playing the bench role Fien played so successfully under Bennett.
you might as well sign players who will put pressure on the team for positions, rather than sign players merely running around to make up the numbers who you actually hope you dont have to use in first grade..

watatank

Coach
What I meant to say is that Dobson is a much better chance of first grade at Newcastle than he is with us. So what could we offer him that would make his signing worthwhile for both parties? It's a pointless discussion for the most part, considering it would take a number of injuries for them to play at all.

bottle

Coach
someone who needs to learn how to quote said:
So is someone like myself who forms opinions and expresses them considered a troll? . Toughen up and take the emotion out of it.
Every diehard loves their club but can become too blinded to see if they cannot step back and think objectively .................
etc. etc. ad infinitum

You are very adept at missing the point. Managed it several times in that botched attempt to quote and respond.

wittyfan

Referee
so we sign Michael Witt, whilst the Knights sign Michael Dobson.... well done dragons.
apart from being 2 years younger, Dobson is twice the player Witt is, and Dobson is a genuine "triangle" player, can play hooker just as readily as in the halves..

i know which one i would prefer..

Who is Michael Dobson?

Latest posts