What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW, Benji, Falou and Sam Burgess

adamkungl

Immortal
Who us of little benefit if they then take those attributes to a rival code.

Of course the game will go on without Sam burgess, will it be better without him? No. Is it worth screwing the salary cap to keep these type of player? No. is rugby union sht and therefore needs to poach RL players to try and improve itself? Yes

Agree on all counts

Get them early before they learn bad habits. Inside every union player is an athlete looking to break out of the restraints

Or a fat bloke trying to look like an athlete.

Truthbombs

ProxyIronMan

Juniors
Get them early before they learn bad habits. Inside every union player is an athlete looking to break out of the restraints

Eh?. That does not make sense. The reason they are signed in the first place is because they are good, in fact better than some young players who have played RL all their lives.

So RU must be doing something right ?

Paullyboy

Coach
Why does that mean RU is doing something right? Natural talent is pretty much the only factor in juniors, it just so happens that some of these kids had no alternative to union when they were starting out so they were stuck with it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There was a time when there was some decent established union players to poach and I enjoyed seeing the likes of of fish and Davies back in the 90's but RL has left union so far behind in terms of skill sets and fitness that those days are long gone. You may get the odd exception but I am struggling to think of any union players that would be better than the current international players in league?

Back to burgess, how will the rah rahs understand him with his northern accent? He will need to get Andy Farrell to translate for him.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
You may get the odd exception but I am struggling to think of any union players that would be better than the current international players in league?

I'd love to see a few of the All-Black backs ie Corey Jane and Rene Ranger in the NRL.

The Broncos were looking at Ihaia West the flyhalf from Hawkes Bay ITM side now with Otago Super 15 side, kid has a lot of speed, good kicking game and good ball player. Unfortunately the decision makers didn't want to spend the money but would have loved to have seen him in the NRL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrq_Cfxpw1g

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd love to see a few of the All-Black backs ie Corey Jane and Rene Ranger in the NRL.

The Broncos were looking at Ihaia West the flyhalf from Hawkes Bay ITM side now with Otago Super 15 side, kid has a lot of speed, good kicking game and good ball player. Unfortunately the decision makers didn't want to spend the money but would have loved to have seen him in the NRL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrq_Cfxpw1g

Thing is union to poach a NRL player will pay them top $ and usually more than their own stars. Can you name. A union player you think is worth a bigger salary than inglis, slater or thurston?

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
aslong as joseph tomane remains a wallaby the talent comparison will be a no brainer in my eyes

BODISGOD

Bench
There was a time when there was some decent established union players to poach and I enjoyed seeing the likes of of fish and Davies back in the 90's but RL has left union so far behind in terms of skill sets and fitness that those days are long gone. You may get the odd exception but I am struggling to think of any union players that would be better than the current international players in league?

Back to burgess, how will the rah rahs understand him with his northern accent? He will need to get Andy Farrell to translate for him.

I imagine that will be really tough when the England Head Coach spent most of his life in the North along with other Northern players such as Danny Care and Owen Farrell.:oops:

aqua_duck

Coach
Thing is union to poach a NRL player will pay them top $ and usually more than their own stars. Can you name. A union player you think is worth a bigger salary than inglis, slater or thurston?

It's totally different for a NRL team bound by a salary cap to take a big risk on a union player when they can sign anyone, for a national body it's a different set of circumstances, they're not bound by a salary cap and their limited to only players from that country. In terms of value, is Burgess worth a mil in either code? The answer is obviously no but for the English rugby union they're not necessarily paying him for what he's actually worth as a footballer, they're paying him overs to defect, they're paying for the publicity and they're paying him because it's a chance to stick it to English RL by poaching their biggest name.
In terms of union players I think there are some who could crack that top echelon in league but they'll never come to league because their earning power in union is far greater, and no league team bound by a salary cap is going to pay overs to bring over a bloke who MIGHT be good

BrisbaneRhino

Juniors
Anyone who thinks that given half a chance RU wouldn't completely destroy RL is kidding themselves. Signing Burgess would be a huge blow to RL in England, which is hanging by a thread financially, as yet again the message it sends is that RL is completely tiny compared to RU - it must be given that one of the biggest names in British RL, playing in supposedly the best RL competition in the world would jump to RU at the mere sniff of an opportunity to play for England. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the move for Burgess is because the RU surprisingly failed to get Sam Tomkins.

The only reason its not happening with Australian players in numbers is because the ARU is skint - if they had the money you can bet they'd be regularly poaching the NRL again. Comparisons to the old days when RL signed RU players are ridiculous, given that RL was offering supposedly amateur sportsmen the chance to make money from playing.

I'd also add that some ex-RL players are frankly a disgrace. Farrell earned a lot playing in SL, and was a very good player. There was even a grudging acceptance of him moving to RU when he was 30+ given what he'd given the game in England. Since then however, he's done nothing except hurt the game that made him a name worth poaching by RU. He's been directly responsible for several players jumping ship from his own club Wigan (Tomkins, Ashton), and no doubt indirectly involved in trying to tempt others in his role with England RU. Mike Ford is the Bath coach, and he had a long career in RL as well.

Again these guys will justify it as all being part of pro sport, but what they're basically saying is sod all the people involved in the game I used to play - fans, other players etc - its all about me and what I can get out of it.

Kilkenny

Coach
The Burgess family is back in Aus today so I think we'll start to get some answers on Sam.

Where there's smoke there is probably fire. There is probably legs to these rumours and if the bucks are big enough who could really blame Sam if he chooses to take the dollars. Few get to play NRL never mind represent there country in both league and union. At the money being bandied around he would have only one decision to make.

maccattack

Juniors
Is life all about money?

If I had a son in this position I would urge him to consider that there is much more to life than going to where the bucks are biggest.

Latest posts