What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Middle Half

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Eels embrace entertainers tag

With his ability to play so late at the line and create space for men out the back such as Sandow, Norman and Jarryd Hayne, lock forward Joseph Paulo provides an integral link between the muscle in the middle and the entertainers on the edge.

Norman describes him as a half stuck in a forward's body but Paulo is relishing his new role and responsibilities in a team he says is still defining their identity.

"You know when Chrissy's at his best is when he's just running across the field showing, taking them on, chip-and-chase on the first set of the game," Paulo said. "Or 'Haynesy' is at the back just running and then you've got guys like Semi [Radradra] and Hoppa (Will Hopoate) who are threats on the edges.

"The big boys are doing their job and I think for us it's just something that Brad's really put in place and we're just trying to find our identity as a team.

"Brad's really given me free rein to make sure I'm pushing the forwards around and pretty much being a link in the middle with the guys on the edges.

"If I can get the forwards in the middle going obviously I'm just lucky to have that skill from when I played five-eighth and just trying to employ that.

#MiddleHalf

Last edited:

Eels Dude

Coach
I think we played pretty well in the first half, we had a weak middle half, but then we came home strong in the last half.

EelsFan05

Bench
"Brad's really given me free rein to make sure I'm pushing the forwards around and pretty much being a link in the middle with the guys on the edges.

#organisinghalf

yy_cheng

Coach
i think Graham plays the same role for the dogs

he needs a speedster on the inside and a forward on the outside

Pazza

First Grade
Cayless also was great with a short pass. Sadly our current group of forwards are devoid of this skill which requires us to carry Paulo in the side. My biggest fear with Peni is that he will butcher many attacking opportunities cause he won't pass the footy.

natheel

Coach
Cayless also was great with a short pass. Sadly our current group of forwards are devoid of this skill which requires us to carry Paulo in the side. My biggest fear with Peni is that he will butcher many attacking opportunities cause he won't pass the footy.

i've seen him looking to offload at times. i think he will start to throw the ball around soon. The guys are showing confidence and that will make Peni have confidence in the guys around him to take that offload. It hasn't been there for the last few seasons so everyone is just warming into it.

BennyBoy

Juniors
Must admit he played well this week and if that's BA's role for him then he may develop into a very valuable contributor. I do like the changes Arthur has made in him.

Still needs to improve his defence around the ruck and at marker though.

Bigfella

Coach
Peni has been massive despite a few errors.

Most tries we have scored in the last two games have come on the back of is winning collisions. He is awesome in that department.

Ben smith getting injured has been a blessing in a very very bad disguise.

Sphagnum

Coach
I really don't rate this guy. Lazy defender, likes giving away penalties and generally gets picked off whilst 'ambling' sideways in attack.

Forty20

First Grade
Peats is excellent in both the quantity and quality of his tackles but I reckon Terepo is the hardest hitter in our NRL roster. He flattened Corey Parker in our red zone on Friday night with an absolute ripper.

He is still good for a clanger of a handling error or two but he is coming on very well despite that.

eel01s

Bench
I like Terepo. He is willing in the collision and doesn't get intimidated. I don't think opposition teams like defending against him either.

yy_cheng

Coach

Peni is awesome. He will be our next fui. The speed is very similar.

Umm,

Doesnt pass
Mannah, Peni, Junior, Gower

Passes
Seph, Edwards, Mau, Fui, Pauli

I wouldnt saw they dont pass

ParraUnagi

Juniors

Umm,

Doesnt pass

Passes

And they're related (Peni/Fui).
#keepitinthefamily
#forceofthehorse

Pazza

First Grade

Umm,

Doesnt pass

Passes

Peni is an awesome player, I never said he wasn't. Just worried in an attacking position he lacks the basic skills to get the ball to the right person. Same can be said of other forwards.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Peni is an awesome player, I never said he wasn't. Just worried in an attacking position he lacks the basic skills to get the ball to the right person. Same can be said of other forwards.

The best way for Peni to get the ball to the right person is to roll it back with his foot after being tackled. Preferably quickly.

caylo

Bench
Exactly as pou said, also of Peni was to try and play like Paulo let's say he wouldn't be able to run like he does. There is a time and place for all different types of players and it should be the half or dummy half deciding on whether Terepo gets to ball or is cut out... I imagine the way he runs he would make an excellent decoy close to the line running of Norman or sandow

jono

Juniors
Kenny Edwards will be the go to man for the second off load....sweet pass to Sandow for the first try , pass back across the ruck to Semi for the second

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Exactly as pou said, also of Peni was to try and play like Paulo let's say he wouldn't be able to run like he does. There is a time and place for all different types of players and it should be the half or dummy half deciding on whether Terepo gets to ball or is cut out... I imagine the way he runs he would make an excellent decoy close to the line running of Norman or sandow

And it was Terepo lining up for the run that drew defenders away from Peats for his try.