What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve ‘Blocker’ Roach sacked from 2GB radio following bullying complaint

Steve Roach has been sacked from 2GB’s Continuous Call team following a bullying complaint from a younger male staff member. Sports Confidential can reveal Roach was given his marching orders this morning, after station management spent almost two weeks investigating an incident inside the radio box at ANZ Stadium on Friday 15 August.
It’s understood Roach verbally berated the young staff member, before engaging in a heated exchange with a fellow co-host just minutes before 2GB’s coverage of that night’s Bulldogs-Eels match started.
Roach was stood down the following day, but made a return to the airwaves 24 hours later.
However, the staffer submitted a formal complaint early last week, forcing station management to fully review the incident.
Roach confirmed he had been sacked this morning and accepted responsibility for “my part in the argument”.
“I’ve loved my 13 years at the Continuous Call team calling football - that’s my passion.”
Witnesses were interviewed last week, and the staffer was granted stress leave.
Lawyers returned a recommendation to station management this morning, and it’s understood the broadcaster felt a strong stance needed to be made against bullying after a previous complaint involving Continuous Call team commentator Ray Hadley brought unwanted headlines last year.
Read Sports Confidential in tomorrow’s Daily Telegraph for the full story on Roach’s sacking.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...g-male-colleague/story-fni3fbgz-1227039903984

drago brelli

Bench
What does it say about a society that listens to that station in the numbers they do. The station is going to have to find an ex-player, a character of equal IQ to replace him, eg: Piggy Riddell, Brett Finch.....who else?

Last edited:

MEE.

Juniors
They must have different rules for Hadley then? TBH I thought he was fairly crappy at analysing the game during their calls.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
What does it say about a society that listens to that station in the numbers they do. The station is going to have to find an ex-player, a character of equal IQ to replace him, eg: Piggy Riddell, Brett Finch.....who else?

Gorden Tallis

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
Pretty laughable that they sack Roach but keep Hadley on the payroll considering his past indiscretions. Obviously different rules for "Star" talent doesn't just apply in the NRL.

undertaker

Coach
Pretty laughable that they sack Roach but keep Hadley on the payroll considering his past indiscretions. Obviously different rules for "Star" talent doesn't just apply in the NRL.

As the expression goes "You mix with dogs, you end up with fleas". No surprise that Hadley's bullying ways rubbed off on Blocker, but I agree with you that it is a joke he got sacked whilst Hadley is retained.

Big question is: will he end up back at Ch9 now that the Big Marn and Hadley are both employed by them? (although Hadley hasn't been on The Footy Show's '5 in the bin' segment since early this season, nevertheless is an employee calling NRL matches for them) Or, is there still bad blood between Blocker and Fatty? (I remember reading somewhere that Fatty had an influence in Ch9's final decision when Blocker was sacked in the 1999/2000 off-season).

Last edited:

Plumplechook

Juniors
How the hell does Ray Hadley keep his gig on 2GB given his appalling track record of bullying? Blocker's actions must have been pretty extreme for him to be shown the door - but cannot imagine they were any worse than what Hadley has done for years. Hadley got suspended a couple of years back for bullying a junior staff member - but Singo intervened to get him back on the radio the next day.

Brutus

Referee
Oh the irony.

A disgusting show and they should all be sacked.

Starting with Hardley and Bonzo.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Lawyers returned a recommendation to station management this morning, and it’s understood the broadcaster felt a strong stance needed to be made against bullying after a previous complaint involving Continuous Call team commentator Ray Hadley brought unwanted headlines last year.

Its a joke Hadley stays after they sack Roach.

I dont listen to 2GB much anyway, ever since Triple M decided to call more games and more Rugby League programs on the weekends.

Roach will probably end up at Fox Sports (more regularly) or Triple M.

Mr Saab

Referee
Big question is: will he end up back at Ch9 now that the Big Marn and Hadley are both employed by them? (although Hadley hasn't been on The Footy Show's '5 in the bin' segment since early this season, nevertheless is an employee calling NRL matches for them) Or, is there still bad blood between Blocker and Fatty? (I remember reading somewhere that Fatty had an influence in Ch9's final decision when Blocker was sacked in the 1999/2000 off-season).

He will never go back to nine. Nine have moved on from him with their "youngish" so called analysts in Fittler / Johns / Finch.

FlameThrower

Bench
Good he is another ex player from the 80's who can't relate to current game. Most of his stances are just stupid ie Shoulder charge, concussion etc.

FlameThrower

Bench
Man I saw Roach one time at Easter Show at some 2GB stand he is huge. Along with big Man these guys are not healthy!

undertaker

Coach
He will never go back to nine. Nine have moved on from him with their "youngish" so called analysts in Fittler / Johns / Finch.

The same could also have been said about Hadley. No one ever envisaged that Hadley would've ended up back at Ch9, and kissed and made up with all those he had long-running feuds after he got boned from The Footy Show the second time (first time due to SL war) in '98.

undertaker

Coach
Man I saw Roach one time at Easter Show at some 2GB stand he is huge. Along with big Man these guys are not healthy!

I haven't seen Blocker on tv for a while, but I remember meeting him at a Knights home game doing sideline commentary duties for Ch9 back in 1999. I thought he was big back then, but when I saw him on Ch10's The Game Plan a couple of years ago...man, he's really piled on the pounds since then. Dunno what the hell he has been eating.

Big Marn, although he is still fat, has lost a bit of weight over the past few years.

Flapper

First Grade
Always a winning tactic to claim a person has no respect for other humans whilst having two cracks at his weight.

goodplayer

Juniors
Always a winning tactic to claim a person has no respect for other humans whilst having two cracks at his weight.

it shows everyone , he has no self controll. no respect for himself

how can he have respect for others :(

unless he lies to himself :oops: