What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 2014/15 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good article, though I still prefer the one above it.

i agree and its up to all of us to follow his lead and anytime we see a reference to "melbourne's 4 premierships" send a post or tweet etc to remind everyone even though they won the game it's NOT an official premiership check the bloody trophy their name's not on it in 2007 & 2009!

its vitally important because if we let it get swept under the carpet then everyone will forget about it and its like it never happened

mrpwnd

Bench
I did my degree simply to continue my learning and so I could become a better, more knowledgeable person with a developed intellect. Also, because Uni in the mid-to-late-90s rocked, before it became some career focused bullshit.

Now it's gone to hell. Popped back in to look at my old Uni a couple of years ago and it's full of trendy wankers doing f**king marketing degrees or some shit.

Ah, I miss the old days down at the Squarehouse at UNSW. What I can remember of those days still makes me smile.

Lol, so back then uni was primarily for unemployment purposes?

i agree and its up to all of us to follow his lead and anytime we see a reference to "melbourne's 4 premierships" send a post or tweet etc to remind everyone even though they won the game it's NOT an official premiership check the bloody trophy their name's not on it in 2007 & 2009!

its vitally important because if we let it get swept under the carpet then everyone will forget about it and its like it never happened

Well, I am a little biased. I wrote the bloody thing. :D

Oh look, that Canadian actor who was very good in the final few episodes of Lexx is now playing a bit part in that floppy-haired Brit actor's movie. The guy what got caught with a hooker.

Lol, so back then uni was primarily for unemployment purposes?

No.

Sure, there were courses such as Commerce that were obviously career driven but there was a stronger emphasis on the general development of the individual through education that, while having benefits in future careers, was not entirely linked to it.

Even my friends who did law and medicine had a strong focus on intellectual development outside the tight sphere of the career.

Now, it's not like that. Now, the biggest benefit is you can put your degree on a CV, whereas it used to be the quality of thought and discussion that it produced in an individual.

Up until about 10 years ago, the biggest benefit from Uni was that it just made people better. Now, it makes you more "employable".

It's a sad thing, really.

Gronk

Staff member
You gotta love mother nature when she's pissed.

The eruption of Mount Tavurvur volcano PNG on August 29th, 2014

[youtube]BUREX8aFbMs[/youtube]

Gronk

Staff member
60 minutes last night on the Slipper saga was like watching an episode of House of Cards.

Naive kid gets caught up in political mess and is manipulated by men of power who bare understanding, sympathy and promises of assistance. The smiling assassins in the end dump him the kid deny all knowledge.

In the wash up the kid is a dithering mess and has debts, the smiling assassins take Sliper's seat and the fall guy is facing court over $900.

Nasty business.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
No.

Sure, there were courses such as Commerce that were obviously career driven but there was a stronger emphasis on the general development of the individual through education that, while having benefits in future careers, was not entirely linked to it.

Even my friends who did law and medicine had a strong focus on intellectual development outside the tight sphere of the career.

Now, it's not like that. Now, the biggest benefit is you can put your degree on a CV, whereas it used to be the quality of thought and discussion that it produced in an individual.

Up until about 10 years ago, the biggest benefit from Uni was that it just made people better. Now, it makes you more "employable".

It's a sad thing, really.

I think you are generalising based on the experiences you and a couple of mates had.

I went to university at the same time as you. I had a great time during that period but I was sheltered and barely prepared for the workforce when I graduated. I don't remember any quality discussion at all. Just theoretical bollocks from academics who are removed from what happens in the real world.

I would have developed much more as a human being if I went and got a f**king job.

I think you are generalising based on the experiences you and a couple of mates had.

I went to university at the same time as you. I had a great time during that period but I was sheltered and barely prepared for the workforce when I graduated. I don't remember any quality discussion at all. Just theoretical bollocks from academics who are removed from what happens in the real world.

I would have developed much more as a human being if I went and got a f**king job.

I think you either wasted an opportunity, went to a shit Uni, or were just part of a poor batch of classes.

My classes were f**king mad. Sure, there was a lot of theoretical discussion and a shitload of bollocks but it pushed me to continue to develop my thinking and writing skills past my teenage years. I'm most definitely the ridiculously intelligent, articulate and well-reasoned man I am today because of those years at Uni. About the only part of my amazingness that I can't ascribe to Uni are my good looks, but I did put them to good use during those years.

True about the job, though. I made sure that I went and worked a shit job for a bit once I'd left so I understood a bit about normal life. I can ascribe the fact that I'm not a wanker and haven't let my superiority get to my head to those post-Uni years.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
My article "Broncos2010: Severely F**king Stupid F**kwit Without a Clue?" seemed to make it through unchallenged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts