What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Fifita battles depression

BunniesMan

Immortal
GKD and BM: it's easy to make a sweeping claim that loads of people fake depression with no evidence of anyone doing this. Provide said evidence, or shut the f**k up.

It's literally impossible to prove because it's not like you can do a blood test to confirm. Some people have it for real, and some people pretend to have it because it is convenient. Saying nobody ever fakes it is as ridiculous as denying that depression is a serious issue. It's not like cancer. Precisely because it isn't physical but mental anyone who is willing to lie can fake it.

Red Bear

Referee
I had a good mate who had tried it when he was about 20...before I knew him.
A chick helped him through it.
For the next 29 years he was the life of the party...first bloke to get on the dance floor ...he never seemed to age...not a grey hair on his head.
Chicks loved him.
His girl was by his side the entire time. They were perfect together.

About a week before his 50th he hung himself.

At his funeral his girl told how behind closed doors he was write off and that he'd tried to kill himself many times.
None of us had a clue.
A friend of mine (not a real close one, but still someone I'd spent a bit of time with) killed herself this year, and it was the same deal. Would never have known given the smiles and generally happy nature she displayed (and I've seen others with similar issues who it is pretty obvious they aren't doing well). Was a massive shock when she died, but then talking to a mate it was a similar deal, had just covered it up so well in public but in private had been struggling for some time.

typicalfan

Coach
It's literally impossible to prove because it's not like you can do a blood test to confirm. Some people have it for real, and some people pretend to have it because it is convenient. Saying nobody ever fakes it is as ridiculous as denying that depression is a serious issue. It's not like cancer. Precisely because it isn't physical but mental anyone who is willing to lie can fake it.

What is ridiculous is to suggest a certain person is faking it without any evidence. If he has been diagnosed then all signs would point to him not faking it.

Jason Maher

Immortal

Well if it can't be proven, how the f**k do you know anyone is faking? Can you look into someone else's head?

Swarzey

Bench

f**king end yourself.

Do people need to be on the verge of jumping off a building to convince you that they're battling depression? On the verge of kicking the chair over? No one, ever, has the right to question if people are battling depression or bullshitting because the signs can be so, so small but the problem is still there, it doesn't make it any less significant.

No wonder people struggle to seek help when scum like you think this way.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I know we live in a democratic society but depression/mental issue threads shouldn't be allowed on LU. It without fail unearths the most ill-considered, narrow-minded, illegible rubbish time and time again.

Never better illustrated when a poster defending depression and those potentially suffering it starts his post with 'f**king end yourself'

BunniesMan

Immortal
What is ridiculous is to suggest a certain person is faking it without any evidence. If he has been diagnosed then all signs would point to him not faking it.

Well if it can't be proven, how the f**k do you know anyone is faking? Can you look into someone else's head?

I never said Fifita was faking it. You're confusing me with others. Acknowledging there is a possibility is not the same as making an accusation.

TimmyB

Juniors
On average 6 people commit suicide in Australia.

I'm not sure what the social cost of people 'faking depression' is, but unless you can provide statistics that are comparable to 6 f**king suicides a day, then I don't think your bolded comment rings particularly true.

The rest of your comment it's a load of shit as well. All this garbage about depression not being physical undermines the severity of the illness. It perpetuates this "people need to snap out of it" bullshit and "depression isn't a real illness" stuff. Go look at some MRI scans of people with MDD as against people without and tell me it isn't a physical illness.

People who have just watched a few Beyond Blue adverts really shouldn't comment on the issue until they've actually educated themselves. It's like climate change - people who have no opinion on the treatment of cancer are suddenly f**king experts when it comes to mental health despite having absolutely no qualifications and having done absolutely no reading on the subject.

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
On average 6 people commit suicide in Australia.

I'm not sure what the social cost of people 'faking depression' is, but unless you can provide statistics that are comparable to 6 f**king suicides a day, then I don't think your bolded comment rings particularly true.

The rest of your comment it's a load of shit as well. All this garbage about depression not being physical undermines the severity of the illness. It perpetuates this "people need to snap out of it" bullshit and "depression isn't a real illness" stuff. Go look at some MRI scans of people with MDD as against people without and tell me it isn't a physical illness.

People who have just watched a few Beyond Blue adverts really shouldn't comment on the issue until they've actually educated themselves. It's like climate change - people who have no opinion on the treatment of cancer are suddenly f**king experts when it comes to mental health despite having absolutely no qualifications and having done absolutely no reading on the subject.

I never said any of that ffs. And you know I didn't. If what I actually said was so bad you'd focus on that and not twist and stretch my argument.

Billythekid

First Grade

If it's literally impossible to prove than how the f*ck do you know anyone is faking it? I don't think i've ever heard of anyone faking depression and i see little reason why they would.

mrpwnd

Bench
If it's literally impossible to prove than how the f*ck do you know anyone is faking it? I don't think i've ever heard of anyone faking depression and i see little reason why they would.

Actually, it happens more than you think.
All it takes is one smartass dick who left all of his/her work till the last minute. A simple read of the DSM for MDD, Schizophrenia, bipolar (most of them are comorbid so it doesn't really matter too much what you choose) in the symptoms section and then you just report it to any medical professional.
I knew a quite a few people who'd tell me about the geniused shit they do to get exam extensions during uni. Whether they were lying about and actually were depressed, I can't say - it is anecdotal after all, but it's certainly not impossible and definitely not as unlikely as we'd like to think it is.

Back on topic, no harm in Fifita visiting a professional about potential issues, for all we know it could be some form of mental illness, or it could just be a dickhead personality. Either way, he's seeking the necessary help to fix the problem.

TimmyB

Juniors
The term in the literature is malingering - it's rather telling that neither of the BM knows it.

It definitely happens in Worker's Compensation cases I must say. I suppose it may happen in Münchausen syndrome - in that sense it would be no different to people who put feign other illnesses. But then ironically that person probably would have a mental health condition that would need treatment in any case.

Still overwhelming minority, and it's not an accusation to throw around idly. Given the pervasiveness of self-flagellation that occurs in depression I would suspect that most sufferers would doubt the diagnosis given to them - ie: would feel like it is just an excuse and that in actual fact they are responsible for their own failings etc.

TimmyB

Juniors
I never said any of that ffs. And you know I didn't. If what I actually said was so bad you'd focus on that and not twist and stretch my argument.

I'll be clearer. I dispute your claim that it is not a physical illness. That it is some ethereal thing with a metaphysical cause. I think that sort of description damages it's legitimacy as a real illness and perpetuates the sorts of myths you hear thrown around. I'm not suggesting you believes those myths or said that.

Sorry mods I'll stop making football forum not about football now.

smi962

First Grade
I'll be clearer. I dispute your claim that it is not a physical illness. That it is some ethereal thing with a metaphysical cause. I think that sort of description damages it's legitimacy as a real illness and perpetuates the sorts of myths you hear thrown around. I'm not suggesting you believes those myths or said that.

Sorry mods I'll stop making football forum not about football now.

I never believe BM said this. He said a clinical diagnosis can't be provided with a blood test or an expensive piece of laboratory equipment. It comes down to behavioural observation of the patient, family history, physical examination to rule out other conditions and a history of symptoms, which is not conducive to a diagnosis that is free from uncertainty.

Surely it is possible to understand given the complexity and ambiguity associated with diagnosis that a doctor could get it wrong ocassionally.

TimmyB

Juniors
I never believe BM said this. He said a clinical diagnosis can't be provided with a blood test or an expensive piece of laboratory equipment. It comes down to behavioural observation of the patient, family history, physical examination to rule out other conditions and a history of symptoms, which is not conducive to a diagnosis that is free from uncertainty.
I think this is a fair appraisal, but I don't think this is what he said. I certainly don't think it justifies a glib comment that depression is simply mental and not physical. I find that contradistinction damaging.

His actual statement was
Precisely because it isn't physical but mental anyone who is willing to lie can fake it.

To back this up he should show how someone can fake a modified Stroop interference task, or to produce a conclusive study which shows the susceptibility of the Beck depression inventory (or any other widely used depression inventory) to malingerers.

I think it's probably best he STFU rather than make gospel statements about things he doesn't actually know about.

He's a very good troll.

Surely it is possible to understand given the complexity and ambiguity associated with diagnosis that a doctor could get it wrong ocassionally.
I think wrong is a problematic word to use in the context of spectrum disorders. I think the sentiment is probably on the mark though. It is still a world away from faking depression though.

Back on topic this is all a bunch of bullshit though. Fifita is clearly not using this as an excuse because he has not publicised this, it's been released to the media. From his actions it would seem he should be steering away from alcohol and may have a problem with acting impulsively. Perhaps that is all he has checked himself in to have sorted out. If so, I can't understand why OP or anyone else would be criticising him for that. Talk about damned if you do...

I stand by fifita went to rehab cause he couldn't handle his piss not because of depression. Depression is just more applauded then a bloke that looses his shit after 1 to many.

Perth Red

Post Whore
One of main reasons I got out of mental health services was due to the units being full of drug users and people who got into bother after getting on the pss and using it as a soft court option. Back in the old days we used to work with genuine mental health issues, now its mostly dck heads who dont know how to behave themselves. Its a great shame as genuinely mentally ill people miss out on much needed services.