What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 NRL Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Seriously am I tripping or is all this shit getting waaaaay out of hand???

I dont mind dumb designs like this...

As long as they dont wear it on the field (or if they do, its a one off for charity or something), then its fine.

Its just a bit of fun, youll never see it anyway (players in training singlets dont often make the news) and its not like you are being forced to buy it. But, for anyone that does like it, it's there to take.

Saint Doc

Coach
Clearly a Storm version of an AFL "guernsey".

Perhaps trying to cash in on Victorians who prefer that style

insert.pause

First Grade
A RL jersey has sleeves, that is one part of the design that is non negotiable, I remember them last season floating something about no sleeves for a jersey, Victorians...

gzerounian

Juniors
Great idea by storm. It is a nod to AFL. As long as the grass is soft in Auckland otherwise there will be seeing some grazed shoulders.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Clearly a Storm version of an AFL "guernsey".

Perhaps trying to cash in on Victorians who prefer that style

Its also good in the Australian market during summer. Youll never get people in scarves and beenies at 40C no matter how much they love their team.

Singlets and boardshots get the team brands into the public all year round.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
A RL jersey has sleeves, that is one part of the design that is non negotiable, I remember them last season floating something about no sleeves for a jersey, Victorians...

As much as anything, i see it as a nod to Touch Football...

I dont know if they will run on in singlets (if so, theyll probably have something underneath), but 9s is all about introducing new concepts/designs/rules into the RL universe

Lambretta

First Grade
Not necessarily a bad thing but ive never met an AFL fan who wears their jersey without something underneath.

I've seen the occasional toothless, smack addict with an AFL Guernsey on without anything underneath when in Melbourne

They're usually gibbering to themselves or pulling the scabs off their arms, so I don't think they're representative of the majority

The fact that sleeveless in Melbourne in Winter isn't the best idea probably plays a major part

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Probably makes it easier for the opposition to grab hold of around the arm holes

Yeh, but i dont think anyone really cares about winning the 9s THAT much....

Players and clubs are payed regardless of their results and as we saw last year, most of the important games are won with a lucky bounce.

I doubt anyone would really care about giving away a small advantage in this.

some11

Referee
Storm are taking the piss surely.

Next we'll be calling trophies "flags" and man of the match "best on ground".

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
As much as anything, i see it as a nod to Touch Football...

I dont know if they will run on in singlets (if so, theyll probably have something underneath), but 9s is all about introducing new concepts/designs/rules into the RL universe

This. My first thought was Touch rugby...perfect alignment for a Summer tournament & really testing the boundaries...pioneering I'd almost say. Got nothing to do with afl - most kiwis wouldn't give a toss about the code - but touch is the go over here. Interesting to see what comes out in future 9s now the storm have opened it up

Saint Doc

Coach
Agree, I thought of touch too, but guaranteed storm are thinking about marketing these guernseys to Victorians, not about recruiting kiwi touch footy players

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Agree, I thought of touch too, but guaranteed storm are thinking about marketing these guernseys to Victorians, not about recruiting kiwi touch footy players

Yeh, the idea definitely originated from the VFL...

But that shouldnt rule an idea out. Im glad the NRL people arent so spiteful these days.

sheepbender

Juniors
NRL All Stars jersey

B4Dskh0CMAAFQ-T.jpg

B4DsMxqCcAAfrku.jpg

All Stars jersey looked better in the mock up, I liked the silver sublimation, but it's missing most of it in the real version. Indigenous would be better without the gold piping..

Hoggy

Bench
Yeah just re the Storm jersey...it's being unveiled properly on Thursday. Apparently someone in the NRL let it slip that it's sleeveless to another Sydney club (WT) and they are doing the same....