What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 SG Ball / Harold Matts Junior Rep News

Im hearing revesby 10am. If Anyone hears anything RE: trial dates, times & venues of all matts & sg ball games this comming weekend please post

Last edited:

Jacco

Juniors
How is it then that qld can have a state wide youth setup with teams in Mackay, centrl qld, toowoomba etc... no doubt kids are selected from inland towns to play for the appropriate U16/18 rep side. The $100m set to be invested would help the regions to cover the additional costs of playing in regional centres.

If we see some sort of elite academy system with the same level of coaching as Sydney then kids would only have to relocate to their main regional centre. Really there only needs to be 4/5 bush rep sides, examples below.

North west- Tamworth
North Coast- Coffs harbour
Riverina- Wagga
Western districts- Orange

If these are then linked to senior 2nd tier state sides centrally funded by the ARL then it full establishes the elite pathway in the bush.

[FONT=&quot]Like I said previously you cannot expect kids who are 16 and 18 yrs in the country ie player selected in your proposed North Coast team to travel from Port Macquarie to Coffs Harbour for training 3 times a week or even 2 days, its 4 hour return trip which does he include 2 hours for training. Collectively it is a 6 hour day for a training run. These kids have school..

That is the reason they have the country champs for players in the bush and any player that plays harold matts or sg ball is ineligible for selection in the CRL Country rep teams or country region/group teams.

Now to answer your question as to how they do it is QLD with CC U16 and MM u18 cups, it is all to do with population and the matter i just raised above, geographics of travel to and from training 3 x days a week.

The Townsville Stingers who are now known as the Blackhawks - the teams are picked from a population of about 180,000. No player has to travel 2 hours to get to training.

Mackay Cutters - there team is picked from a population of about 125,000. No player has to travel 2 hours to get to training

Central Queensland Capras - there team is picked from a township like Rockhampton and based at this town - population of about 80,000. No player has to travel 2 hours to get to training.

[FONT=&quot]Toowoomba[/FONT] Clydesdales - there team is picked from a population of about 100,000. No player has to travel 2 hours to get to training.

Tamworth - population 47,000
Coffs harbour - population 47,000
Wagga - population 55,000
Western districts- 39,000

As you can see these towns you indicate do not have the population to be competitive in HM or SG Ball and would rely on players in their region to travel long distances for training and playing.

To put things in a bit more of a perspective Central Coast - Gosford/Wyong etc, where the Centurions derive from- has a population of 364,000 and they cannot draw enough talent among this population to be competitive in the HM or SG ball. So how competitive would teams be from the townships/districts you indicated above?

I think most players who really do have talent and desire, and this typically known during the u15 schoolboys season ie any player that makes NSWCHS or NSWCCC, will be identified by player managers / NRL scouts and they relocate to the Newcastle or Sydney for their u16 / u18 years.[/FONT]

Ourimbah Magpies - several of your posts thus far you have advocated about the cohort of Central Coast Players playing for other clubs such as the knights - ie "#representwhereyoulive #centralcoastpride "

But you never whinged about importing Latrell when he came to Centurions or even mentioned he was an import now did you. You cannot have it both ways !

By taking in Latrell a local Central Coast Junior missed out on playing. In regards to your post #64 you may know what you are talking about but we the reader cannot read your mind and it has an inference that Latrell was a central coast junior league player, where actual fact he was not. He was an import......

Now Central Coast has one of biggest JRL competitions in CRL and has plenty of players to select for HM and Ball. However, I know of certain players year after year on Central Coast do not want to play HM and Ball as they would rather player country champs for selection in CRL Country rep u16 and u18... Good on them kids if they see playing for country selection more of an opportunity then playing HM or Ball. (for those that don't know if you play HM or Ball you are ineligible to partake in country champs or Country Selection).

City kids don't have that opportunity to play for a City Rep team. The only rep team they can go for is HM or BALL which obviously leads to NSW rep selection and that is part of the reason why city club rep teams dominate the HM and BALL, and will continue to do so.

Jacco, sure Latrell signed with the Centurians but where else was he going to go ?,
I have never said that Latrell was a Central Coast junior, (the kid is from Taree not Wyong, Ourimbah, the Entrance, Erina, Woy Woy, Terrigal, Toukley or Kincumber), I merely stated that he had come through the Central Coasts representative system so next time I'll type that down in point form for you so you can grasp what I am actually saying , Newcastle didn't want him so we were the next closest option for him, as for kids preferring to play Country Championships over Harold Matts or S.G.Ball you are way off the mark, I've only seen this happen with kids 15yrs who could've played Matts a year young but decided to play Country Champs with their mates instead and saving themselves for Matts when they are the right age.
Latrell was welcomed with open arms as that age groups gun players had virtually all been snapped up by other areas which then gives the Central Coast a second string line up.
Sure that is giving other players a chance to fill the void but just once I would love to see the Coast field a Matts or Ball side at full strength with all of their preferred 1st string players.
While around eight to ten players continue to leave the area on a yearly basis the Harold Matts and S.G.Ball competitions will never see the potential Central Coast sides have and the Centurians will continue to be a bottom three side as oppossed to a potential top three side.

Last edited:
Congratulations to the following players selected for the 2016 Central Coast Centurions SG BALL and Harold Matthews Squads.

S G BALL 2016 FINAL SQUAD;
ABDULLA Jeremy
BAGNALL Zac
BLAIR Stephen
BOSDEN Cooper
COOPER Ezekiel
DYE Danny
FAY Hadden
GRASSBY William
HAMILTON Lewis
HOPWOOD Kye
HOURN Jessie
JACKSON Elih
KOSZYK Peter
MARTIN Kye
MCCLELLAND Samuel
MCINNES-CAMA Tamani
MULA Joel
NISZCOT Ethan
O'MELEY Nick
PARTRIDGE Chase
PAUL Sam
RAWLING Jack
SHEPPARD Mathew
TAAFFE Blake
TANIELA Tangulu
THOMPSON Brandon
WHITE McCoy

HAROLD MATTHEWS 2016 FINAL SQUAD;
ALIPATE Jack
BENDER Ryan
BERRY Fletcher
BOREHAM Jed
BOWLER Mitchell
BROMWICH Cooper
COMMINS Aaron
DOYLE Kai
EDWARDS Harrison
ELLIOTT Toby
FAHEY Kendyll
FRASCA Jack
HUDSON Wil
JAMES Tyson
JONES Ryan
MA'U Benjamin
MORGAN Matthew
O'MELEY Jake
PAYNE Jacob
SHEENS Lewis
SHEPPARD Campbell
SILVESTER Jed
SMITH Jack
TURNER Keegan
WADEY Jake
WOLLENHAPT Saxon

Rick Stone appointed Central Coast Coaching & Pathways Coordinator

Last edited:

MyRoots

Juniors
I seriously hope the nswrl have the mercy rule in place for the central coast, they have picked there team from a majority of division 2 players and others a year younger.. lets just hope there is no major injuries..
The coast really need to employ a coaching staff that bases there selection processes on talent, potential and experience and not so much personal acquisition and club preferences

I have a nephew in the coast side. I dont think its as bad as your making out. There are 3 under age kids and only 2 kids in the team that play 2nd division. Its unfortunate that alot of kids in that age group have left and gone to other clubs, but it gives other kids opportunities they prob would have never got if those kids that left decided to stay.

I seriously hope the nswrl have the mercy rule in place for the central coast, they have picked there team from a majority of division 2 players and others a year younger.. lets just hope there is no major injuries..
The coast really need to employ a coaching staff that bases there selection processes on talent, potential and experience and not so much personal acquisition and club preferences

Seriously ?, I only know of Saxon from St Edwards as the only 2nd division player in the squad and he was an absolute gun in the tryouts (he can't help it if the club he plays for doesn't have a 1st division side), the three under age players will certainly be among the better players in the squad. There were alot of Woy Woy kids (4th place) in the squad but most got culled during the trials.
Of players playing elsewhere are Kyle Schneider (Parramatta), Cameron Davies (Newcastle), Toby Marks (Newcastle), Logan Humphries (Newcastle), Phoenix Crossland (Newcastle) and Jack Brown (Newcastle). Probably the best and most dynamic and destructive player in the age group MacKenzie Kay (Erina) isn't even playing Matts (his own decision). Newcastles spine fullback, five eigth, halfback and hooker are all Central Coast boys.
I have been involved with these boys during the last two Country Championships U15 2015 and U14 2014, whereas my son plays for Ourimbah Maggies (Premiers 2015, 2014, 2012, 2011) in the age group under, so I know the age group well.
The Coasts biggest problem is size and lack of islanders, we need more Siones and Juniors in the side.

MyRoots

Juniors
Seriously ?, I only know of Saxon from St Edwards as the only 2nd division player in the squad and he was an absolute gun in the tryouts (he can't help it if the club he plays for doesn't have a 1st division side), the three under age players will certainly be among the better players in the squad. There were alot of Woy Woy kids (4th place) in the squad but most got culled during the trials.
Of players playing elsewhere are Kyle Schneider (Parramatta), Cameron Davies (Newcastle), Toby Marks (Newcastle), Logan Humphries (Newcastle), Phoenix Crossland (Newcastle) and Jack Brown (Newcastle). Probably the best and most dynamic and destructive player in the age group MacKenzie Kay (Erina) isn't even playing Matts (his own decision). Newcastles spine fullback, five eigth, halfback and hooker are all Central Coast boys.
I have been involved with these boys during the last two Country Championships U15 2015 and U14 2014, whereas my son plays for Ourimbah Maggies (Premiers 2015, 2014, 2012, 2011) in the age group under, so I know the age group well.
The Coasts biggest problem is size and lack of islanders, we need more Siones and Juniors in the side.

Yes Well said again, you have had a minor involvement with this particular age group for 2 years. How many games have you actually watched then of all players involved in this years current squad? Like actually been to games and not just listening to or reading about players and games?? Considering you have spent so much time getting your team to (4 Premierships) win, I would have expected more knowledge of the game, thinking a requirement of islanders wins games shows just how much you do know..

Yes Well said again, you have had a minor involvement with this particular age group for 2 years. How many games have you actually watched then of all players involved in this years current squad? Like actually been to games and not just listening to or reading about players and games?? Considering you have spent so much time getting your team to (4 Premierships) win, I would have expected more knowledge of the game, thinking a requirement of islanders wins games shows just how much you do know..

If you don't think having a team of 110kg+ islanders who are 6'2 doesn't make a difference in an U16's competition you are kidding right ?.
If Penrith, Parramatta or Canterbury aren't at the top of the competition come round 9 then you can question my knowledge. If you want to know more about the Central Coast U15 or U16 competitions I'll gladly educate you

magpie4ever

First Grade
If you don't think having a team of 110kg+ islanders who are 6'2 doesn't make a difference in an U16's competition you are kidding right ?.
If Penrith, Parramatta or Canterbury aren't at the top of the competition come round 9 then you can question my knowledge. If you want to know more about the Central Coast U15 or U16 competitions I'll gladly educate you

But don't they come back to the field once they reach open age comps and the Anglos are finally the same size and a lot more skilled

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

Not sure if you've seen Parramatta's 16's team from this year and last year there's few huge kids. This year the only huge kid I can think of is Stefano Utoikamanu, the rest aren't overly big compared to Penrith's and Canterbury's who looked to be massively overweight in the trials that I watched.

MyRoots

Juniors
Hey mate, what are your thoughts on Schneider? I think you mentioned before that he was a half but Parra trialled him mainly at dummy half and have named him this weekend to play there.

Kyle is a great young man, extremely talented in anything he does. Played most of his junior footy as a lock though as he is a dominant player would often take over the halves, so possibly coaches thought to move him to the halves.
He only started playing hooker while in the nswchs team and performed well there.

MyRoots

Juniors
But don't they come back to the field once they reach open age comps and the Anglos are finally the same size and a lot more skilled

exactly true, to many people think size and colour, is more important then developing young kids with talent, speed, knowledge, experience and a desire. They think, give big Sione or junior the ball and he will score the points.
Its a Very poor attitude to have for the future of the game.

MyRoots

Juniors

Huh maybe you just stick to trying to educate kids.. You obviously have know idea or concern about the future of rugby league..

Jacco

Juniors
Ever wonder why QLD have been so dominate over the past decade ?

Unofficially the QRL selectors from Juniors to Seniors woke up to having Islanders in all there junior rep teams and how it was having an adverse effect on development of the Anglo and aboriginal players. Basically the Islanders / Kiwis would stack the junior state rep teams due to their size, but this would cause the potentially good Anglo / Aboriginal players to either leave the game or stunt their development.

Due to complaints made by persons of Islander background re their kids not being selected the QRL made it official in April 2013

At the April 12 Board Meeting it was approved that an amendment to QRL Rule

30A be made as follows:

“A Player is eligible for selection in an Under Age Queensland Team if they meet the current State of Origin (Queensland) selection criteria approved by the ARLCand the QRL”.

Please circulate this advice to all QRL Personnel with
in the Division so that they are fully aware of the new Origin Eligibility criteria and QLD selection policy.
Please note the QRL Rules available on the website will not be amended at this stage as a review is underway

So the rule stops any kid who was not born in QLD from playing reps for QRL, ie see you later to all the Islander kids that NRL clubs or schools like Keebra Park brought over as 14 and 15 years old who would take the positions of Aussie kids who had been playing league in Australia / QLD since a young age.

The sooner the NSWRL bring in the same rule the better, along with Australian Schoolboys too.....For example you have little Johny born and bred in NSW.... Goes to school his whole entire life here in NSW and when he reaches year 12 has gaols of playing for Australia schoolboys however a young New Zealand lad named Benji Marshall is brought over to australia as a 18 year old contracted to the Tigers. Marshall spends one year in a QLD school. He gets selected in QLD u18's schoolboys team and Australian schoolboys team....... 2 years later he playing for New Zealand..... That is the biggest joke Benji took the place of a rightful Australian kid in not just the QLd schoolboys but Aus schoolboys. This happens every year !

Last edited:
Huh maybe you just stick to trying to educate kids.. You obviously have know idea or concern about the future of rugby league..

Hahaha know idea or no idea ?, if you look at all NRL clubs, pacific islanders are dominating the sport, who is the No#1 league nation atm New Zealand. Get your head out of your ass m8.

MyRoots

Juniors
Hahaha know idea or no idea ?, if you look at all NRL clubs, pacific islanders are dominating the sport, who is the No#1 league nation atm New Zealand. Get your head out of your ass m8.

Haha sorry m8, thanks for pointing out and correcting the typo.. My head is fine, you should just concern yourself with were yours is atm..
So lets push for a full islander squad for next years coast team hey.. Can we paint your son??