What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TPA discussion

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Alot of people are arguing for TPA's to be included in the cap, is that what you would like to see happen?

No

First things first let's see if there is an actual problem. Maybe Gould is just talking shit.

If the nrl published each sides cap spend and TPA registered we would know where we stand.

Spot On

Coach
So why is it the Cowboys have succeeded where Canberra and Newcastle supposedly cannot? Their markets are similar.

Limiting tpa's for one club won't increase Tpa's for another. You simply eliminate revenue from the game and that isn't good for anyone.

You are joking right?

Spot On

Coach
Umm because they lucked into getting one of the best halfbacks/players in the last 30 years
a generational talent walked into their building and has seen fit to stay there his entire career.

Canberra had one of those generational talents, he decided to leave 1mil on the table to go and sign for the Broncos at 450k w/ TPAs

That's the whole f**king point :lol:

....and just saw this. Well said Nick.

Cockosh

Juniors
You are joking right?

Why would I be joking?

Cows and raiders have the same issues in attracting tpa's based on geographic reasons.

Why can they retain Thurston and Canberra can't Milford.

I know why cows succeeded, they had Thurston. That isnt what's being debated!

Said it before, we should follow the NFL on how they deal with the salary cap.

The NFL want every team to have a go at the top and then have to re-build. They don't want any teams to dominate. They have a hard salary cap that you can't break. Their is no luxury tax in the NFL (like their is in Baseball).

The hard salary cap lets small market teams (such as Green Bay) compete with the big market teams.

Elite players in the NFL make mega money out of endorsements outside their NFL salary but this can not be linked to the club they pay for (the massive market makes many companies want to endorse the elite stars).

My understanding (not 100% sure the exact way it operates) is that for example the San Francisco 49ers wanted to pay Joe Montana a low salary as he can make a heap in outside money that the NFL would not register that contract under their Salary Cap until they thought it was market value for a player of his skill (effectively saying a minimum amount an elite player should be paid under the salary cap).

I suppose the NFL must have a scale of what a player should be worth under the cap. That and the draft helps to even talent among the clubs.

I am all for players earning what they can by playing NRL. I just feel it needs to be done in a way that is fair to every team (just not those who can benefit from section B in the original post).

Apart from Billy Slater (Powerade TV advertisement) I cant think of any other current player in a TV ad for a product. For me Billy Slaters Powerade add is what happens in the NFL a national product picks stars to advertise their products. This sort of deal should be encouraged as it only helps the image of the sport. In theory he could get that sort of deal no matter what side he plays for.

The majority of current TPA's really a companies paying money for a player to pay for a certain team and have no real value to the companies that pay them.

As we don't have a draft I think the NRL have to have a points system and say a player is worth so many points (have a realistic point system) and your top 25 can have a total of so many points. Doesn't affect what a player can earn only affects how many good players a club can have on their rooster as they can't go over the total points (i say points but I would not be adverse to the NRL putting a dollar value on every player and it has to fit their determine Salary Cap.)

Perth Red

Post Whore
or they make the TPA genuine and what they were supposed to be about.

All TPA's are centrally registered through the NRL, not clubs or managers, and are connected to the player not the club. That way if a player moves the TPA moves with him. Would put an end to the BS use of TPA's as ways for big clubs to get around the salary cap.

macavity

Referee
or they make the TPA genuine and what they were supposed to be about.

All TPA's are centrally registered through the NRL, not clubs or managers, and are connected to the player not the club. That way if a player moves the TPA moves with him. Would put an end to the BS use of TPA's as ways for big clubs to get around the salary cap.

Pretty easy way to do it - TPAs must be registered, need to be for a period different to the playing contract, and cannot be negotiated or registered in a contract year - requiring stat decs from all involved including managers, lawyers, etc... and with major cap penalties for the club if found to be in violation.

In other words, if some company, lets call them... Country Holden... wants to throw a TPA at a player to entice them to play for their favourite club... they either go early and take a chance that the player will move (with no guarantee they will), or they have to wait a year before signing them to their TPA contract, meaning the player has no guarantee, and that the TPA sponsor may also see their sponsored player playing for a different club while still under a promotion contract with them.

If TPAs aren't linked to particular clubs, and are genuinely based on personal appeal only, this should be no issue at all.

Cockosh

Juniors
You answered your own question again. Well done.

So when you can't mount a reasonable argument or response you resort to this?

How did Cows keep JT given their limited tpa's?

They're in the same boat as Canberra and Knights.

Do you understand the question now?

macavity

Referee
So when you can't mount a reasonable argument or response you resort to this?

They're in the same boat as Canberra and Knights.

Do you understand the question now?

I don't believe they are in the "same boat" as those other teams at all, actually.

Cockosh

Juniors
I don't believe they are in the "same boat" as those other teams at all, actually.

Fair enough but how so?

Most on here have stated that the regional teams lack access to the quality tpa's those in the capital cities have which is pretty much what is being debated here. What advantage do cows have over Knights or raiders.

Feels like I'm flogging a dead horse but no seems to want to answer this.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee

You guys persist with this phantom evidence that proves certain clubs are allowed to use TPA's freely while the NRL turns a blind eye as opposed to others who can't because apparently there's no money coming from any TPA that can match a Brisbane or a Roosters or a Cowboys or a Souffs.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe you haven't got sponsors bashing down your door to sponsor your players because a culture of mediocrity or flat out shittiness has set in, the sponsors can see it (because they're fans too, not just businessmen. They watch the games and keep up with news) and nobody can be bothered investing that much money into your clubs?

Cronulla, Wests Tigers...What's your excuse? You whinge about Brisbane having an entire city to themselves, WESTS IS THE AMALGAMATION OF TWO DIFFERENT FANBASES FROM TWO DIFFERENT ESTABLISHED CLUBS. Where are all those fans? They're probably the same ones shitting up the old Balmain Leagues Club because they're bored shitless watching a footy team that can't build a culture of success, or at the very least, a culture of fighting for every inch.

Cronulla? 48 years you have existed in this comp without a title. And your fanbase has never wavered. They have always been loyal. Yet you struggle to even find sponsors for your playing jersey.....WHY?

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach

As has been said ad nauseum in this thread, we'd all love to have transparency of each club's TPA's but the NRL won't come to the party.

You know , it's quite possible a third party entered into an agreement with Thurston and gave him a few $$$ . Maybe he is receiving most of their TPA $$$$.

You couldn't come to this conclusion yourself?

Cockosh

Juniors
As has been said ad nauseum in this thread, we'd all love to have transparency of each club's TPA's but the NRL won't come to the party.

You know , it's quite possible a third party entered into an agreement with Thurston and gave him a few $$$ . Maybe he is receiving most of their TPA $$$$.

You couldn't come to this conclusion yourself?

So you agree that the Cowboys have succeeded in making the tpa's work which delivered them a premiership despite having the same challenges that both the raiders and knights face. Therefore you agree with my original point that the problem is with how clubs manage their tpa's and not because others are more successful.

You my friend are a genius.

Cockosh

Juniors
You guys persist with this phantom evidence that proves certain clubs are allowed to use TPA's freely while the NRL turns a blind eye as opposed to others who can't because apparently there's no money coming from any TPA that can match a Brisbane or a Roosters or a Cowboys or a Souffs.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe you haven't got sponsors bashing down your door to sponsor your players because a culture of mediocrity or flat out shittiness has set in, the sponsors can see it (because they're fans too, not just businessmen. They watch the games and keep up with news) and nobody can be bothered investing that much money into your clubs?

Cronulla, Wests Tigers...What's your excuse? You whinge about Brisbane having an entire city to themselves, WESTS IS THE AMALGAMATION OF TWO DIFFERENT FANBASES FROM TWO DIFFERENT ESTABLISHED CLUBS. Where are all those fans? They're probably the same ones shitting up the old Balmain Leagues Club because they're bored shitless watching a footy team that can't build a culture of success, or at the very least, a culture of fighting for every inch.

Cronulla? 48 years you have existed in this comp without a title. And your fanbase has never wavered. They have always been loyal. Yet you struggle to even find sponsors for your playing jersey.....WHY?

This should be framed. Well written.

The apparent solution to helping lesser clubs succeed is to eliminate revenue sources to players of more successful clubs. In most cases those sponsors give the tpa's because of the club they play for and not the individual. It isn't portable. Punishing one won't assist another.

BrissyRedV

Bench
So you agree that the Cowboys have succeeded in making the tpa's work which delivered them a premiership despite having the same challenges that both the raiders and knights face. Therefore you agree with my original point that the problem is with how clubs manage their tpa's and not because others are more successful.

You my friend are a genius.

If the Cowboys organised the Tpa for Thurston it is therefore not independent and should be included in the cap. Thurston however is a poor example. He is probably the most recognisable player currently in the game and I am sure his manager had no issues lining up a tpa for him anywhere in the country regardless of who he played for.

The issue is with tpas is they are too easy to be rorted. How is it that the richer or privately owned teams seem to be the ones with 3rd parties lining up to sponsor players? Screams of phony TPAs.

Also, how are player managers suppose to sell their players names to 3rd parties who play for teams who get minimal fta? The odds are stacked in favour of certain teams and the situation is not transparent.

Pete Cash

Post Whore

Lmao if i was so inclined i could find posts in 4c where you attack the wealthy for being greedy wealth absorbing plutocrats.

Latest posts