What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

St Des

dragonsman4eva

Juniors
Surely not!! Dragons won't backflip after putting out a statement and instating a 4 person board to oversee the coaching. I don't see it happening. I bloody hope it does though!!!!

VodkaSaint

Juniors
14485171_10154644889406096_6465559430061873752_n_zpsa6vu6s2r.jpg

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Just heard Matt Burke report on channel Ten sports News that Des Hasler expected to coach Dragons in 2017 with a possible announcement by Friday of this week!!! Fingers crossed that the nightmare is over.

This will just be Hasler's manager claiming the Dragons want him. Same as they do for any player looking for a contract upgrade.

Mr Red

First Grade
This will just be Hasler's manager claiming the Dragons want him. Same as they do for any player looking for a contract upgrade.

Although when a ceo publicly comes out and shows support for the coach there have been numerous examples where the public show of support actually is the final nail in the coffin......

kit66

Bench
The reality in all this is that no coach is going to miraculously change the Dragons overnight.
It must be remembered that Bennett hasn't won a premiership for 6 years, does that make him a bad coach?
Hasler hasn't won a premiership for 5 years, Bellamy 4 years.
The attraction to these coaches is that they appear to get their teams into the finals, win a premiership here and there and everyone worships them as the epitome of coaching. Truth be known that the 3 mentioned barely use juniors and "purchase" squads to get them where they are.
Hasler to the Dragons will nor produce the magic bullet we crave for, in fact it could have the opposite. However, the one thing that is certain in all this is that there is no doubt McGregor is not up to standard as an NRL coach. As I mentioned above, Bennett, Bellamy and Hasler have no issue attracting players to their respective clubs, whereas McGregor would have trouble attracting a fly.
Personally, I would give the HC role to JD. Let him install a culture that we can build on and make our own. If you listen to the videos (Levi Dodd just recently) and comments made by the players of the Cutters, this is the culture we need to rebuild our club, we don't need a fly by night coach or a coach whose interests are only self motivated.

Excellent post, points out issues that should concern us all. I'll add that Desi - ball is almost as boring these days as the Dragons style of play and game plan. He'd just add to our woes I feel just when we could be on the cusp of a turn of fortune with JD getting the Cutters firing and looming as a genuine contender to take the reins in first grade. The new oversight committee also has the potential to steady our ship. I know our biggest problem right now is the coach but we shouldn't be replacing him with someone who will likely continue with the " boring, big pack, defence is number one, " style that is strangling us and the Dogs. We need cultural change as well.
JD has shown that he can work with the players he has and get them firing whereas Des and Mary have the buy and build a team mentality. If you look through the Cutters, there's no real super stars in the team, more a mix of fringe first graders, young guys with potential and some making up the numbers and yet JD took them to a GF and won and on to a State Club challenge win as well. He did the same in Qld. I'd happily give him a shot in firsts starting tomorrow.

Gareth67

First Grade
Umm , let me get this right . Our fortunes are going to turn completely around , possibly by this Friday ?

We have been told on numerous occasions by all and sundry that the Joint Venture has no money . We cannot afford to pay out Mary's contract .
Nor can we afford to pay our bus fare to games .
Nor can we afford to have a decent assistant coach to Mary .

However by Friday we are going to have the services of a top line coach in Des Hasler .
Either Mr. Doust is going to win tonight's Lotto draw , in which case we will be able to afford Dessie , and his entourage , or we are all having the same wet dream .

I myself would like him at the Dragons , however what I am saying is that I cannot see how , in a matter of a few days , that he and the Joint Ventures board could possibly had
reached any form of agreement in such a short period of time .

mobels

Juniors
No way this is true tbh. The board moves at the speed of a turtle and Des only became 'available' in the last couple of days.

They also won't want to look like morons by getting rid of Mary after employing a review commitee and announcing they're keeping Mary for the season.