What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bruce Gordon take-over still on .

BringTheNoise

Juniors
What a mess the club is in , how can Doust and the Board still run the joint even a take over is becoming to hard . I dont like what I am seeing and I know people keep saying the the once great St George will keep being no matter what . Different generation . Now that Cronulla have won a maiden Premiership and seem to be on the rise if we cant compete with all aspects not just on the field , our umbilical cord will be cut and we will die off . Remember we are no longer just St George we are St George Illawarra so first stage gone . So really the 11 straight Grand Final wins are not associated with St George Illawarra so what I am trying to say is that history wont save us .

Did you read the part where Bruce Gordon supposedly offered $400 million worth of advertising as opposed to actual money? Would you want to sell the club for that?

hazzbeen

Bench
Did you read the part where Bruce Gordon supposedly offered $400 million worth of advertising as opposed to actual money? Would you want to sell the club for that?
No mate thats what Im saying it has become a mess that he does not want lay out cash , I dont know how we will survive if we keep going the way we are , something has to give ....

Coffs dragon

Bench
No mate thats what Im saying it has become a mess that he does not want lay out cash , I dont know how we will survive if we keep going the way we are , something has to give ....
I agree and I don't trust the NRL to keep us from bleeding. I smell relocation as the option that will be dangled by the hierarchy to help expand the TV broadcast whom seem to control the purse strings.

Carlton

Juniors
Its not so much I like what Coffs dragon is saying but I have similar fears.

Bruce Gordon may turn out to be the answer to our problems but there are too many unknowns and players behind the scenes to embrace this takeover without questioning what is really happening. Remember Bruce Gordon is a shareholder in Nine, about 15% I think, not a controlling interest but large enough for him to have a big say. WIN has an agreement with Ten and WIN is unashamedly Wollongong centric. Very confusing, what if anything all this means for us.

The St George Leagues club seems to be in a position to finance the football club to a much greater degree than it does and yet the gossip is the NRL is controlling the football clubs finances. These relationships and on face value illogical arrangements leave me with a lot of doubts about what the future of St George is and who is in on the agenda.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I agree and I don't trust the NRL to keep us from bleeding. I smell relocation as the option that will be dangled by the hierarchy to help expand the TV broadcast whom seem to control the purse strings.

Relocation is not on the agenda.
Perth already has a team the West Coast Pirates, and are already playing in SG Ball. Their plan is to be fully registered as a club with the NRL by 2019 under the name of West Coast Pirates, plus they will use the same colours that the Western Reds used (red, black and yellow if I remember). So the Dragons will not relocate and Gordon will not sink any coin into an entity that would.
The NRL is also talking about extension into a tier 2 competition. Where there will be first grade (as it stands now), a 2nd tier comp maybe the Pirates and maybe even the Central Coast Bears, PNG, Fiji and a few from NZ will compete. The NSW Cup will remain as a 3rd Tier comp. As far as I have read, there may even be promotion and relegation from 1st grade (similar to the ESL model) and the 2nd Tier comp. But that's a very debatable point and would be worried about losing supporter base, example is if say the Broncos were "wooden spooners", what would happen to the supporters, would they be willing to go to watch hem in tier 2 comp.
The tier 3 (NSW Cup) will still act a feeder's to clubs.

If this is on the agenda then this may answer some questions about why Gordon is taking so long to decide on this investment or not.

RedVDragon

Juniors
Put the hands of the club in the control of Illawarra and you get this disaster. Even though Doust was appointed after the JV the clowns of Illawarra are still there.

PerthDragon

Juniors
Perth Dragons,? oh the pain , what a basket case we are atm

Hey VodkaSaint,

I reckon I would be the only one on this forum with a smile on my face if that happened :D, but shit I would be bloody crying inside if this did happen :(
I too do worry on what the agenda is with this incompetent board??? and the dodgy ones at NRL HQ

On another note, I notice the $400M buy that is being sprouted here on the forum but the article says $4M in advertising (from the Mole article) rather than purchasing our basket case of a club for what it's worth....unfortunately probably not worth a whole lot the way it seems to be run now.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
St.George leagues has enough money to prop up a stand alone St.George team with games played out of Kogarah and Homebush. Saints should threaten the NRL of going it alone and dumping Illawarra unless they wipe the dept on the proviso that the NRL can choose the board. St.George leagues to take over the Illawarra side of the merger, however the team will now be based in Sydney. Costs need to be reduced. Playing home games at 4 different grounds is killing us financially. There's no other way forward, things need to come to a head one way or another.

St.George leagues has enough money to prop up a stand alone St.George team with games played out of Kogarah and Homebush. Saints should threaten the NRL of going it alone and dumping Illawarra unless they wipe the dept on the proviso that the NRL can choose the board. St.George leagues to take over the Illawarra side of the merger, however the team will now be based in Sydney. Costs need to be reduced. Playing home games at 4 different grounds is killing us financially. There's no other way forward, things need to come to a head one way or another.
You do realise the NRL own the Dragons or have you missed that point.

Latest posts