What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Homebrew Thread

TiggaPlease

I haven't done any brewing since the Cream Ale that is still on tap and really coming into its own (It feels like it needs an extended cold conditioning period to mellow out the corn aftertaste to my liking)

But I was chatting with my barber the other day and we came up with an idea that I really want to try - Crunchie Milk Stout

Sounds bloody horrible but a good challenge. Interesting to hear how actual chocolate works out, I've only ever heard of using cocoa nibs.

I've been trying to smash out a few brews in quick succession as I'm down to my last keg with beer in it.

to keg tonight:

Amber ale with Summit and Cascade
4kg Ale
1kg Munich
350gm medium crystal
200gm dark crystal
70gm chocolate malt

12gm Magnum @ 60
50gm Cascade @ Cube
50gm Summit @ Cube
BRY97 yeast fermented at 19.
Mashed at 65 for a dry finish

Should be 44 ibu and about 5.2% ABV

Fermenting:

Quick summer ale
2.5kg Pilsner
1kg Vienna
1kg Wheat

50gm Galaxy @ Cube
50gm Galaxy dry hop
M44 yeast @ 19
Mashed at 65

21 ibu and 4.3% abv

Havent posted here in a while.

At the moment I have 2 brews fermenting.

I have a saison in the back shed but I have used american hops(centennial, columbus and Cascade) instead of english/european hops. Should be ready to bottle in a few weeks.

Also just brewed a Stout. Used a similar grain bill to my last stout but increased the roasted barley ever so slightly and decreased the oats. Once again, I have used american hops this time around (columbus and cascade). I also have 2 vanilla bean pods soaking in about 50ml of bourbon that I will add to the fermentor soon.

I am currently drinking an American Pale Ale that I made using Dr Smurtos Golden Ale grain bill, but hopped with centennial and Citra. I did equal additions of both, but centennial seems to stand out a bit more than the citra, its a really strong hop.

My next brew I am going to do a Coopers Pale Ale clone. I am going to do it properly and harvest the yeast from some coopers stubbies, its the only way you can get the yeast they use and Coopers actually encourage people to harvest their yeast and they have instructions on their site.

I have just bought a magnetic drive pump and a 1/2 in ball lock valve so I can set up recirculation with the robobrew as im still not getting the best efficiency. Also going to try some rice hulls, I have noticed that the grain becomes quite stuck at the bottom of the malt pipe which could be contributing to efficiency issues.

I have also been looking at Kegerator builds. Some people have some really nice ones, I really want to start kegging but im not that handy. Maybe one day ill make the attempt.

TiggaPlease

I've been brewing like crazy lately. Have 2 fermenters going at the moment - Saison in one and Pale Ale in the other.

The pale ale I'm fermenting was the first time i'd ever used whole hops, there was about an additional 2 litres lost due to absorption, beer is tasting good from fermenter samples though.

Also been brewing a few "summer" ales - Pilsner base with vienna and wheat in support then all late hopped to 20-25 ibu plus a liberal dry hop. These beers have proved to be pretty popular.

As far as kegging goes my set up is simple but effective, cheap 200ish litre chest freezer, dressed pine collar, and a couple of taps. Looks decent enough. Fits 4-5 kegs - the longest part of the build was waiting between coats of stain on the collar.

TiggaPlease

I have just bought a magnetic drive pump and a 1/2 in ball lock valve so I can set up recirculation with the robobrew as im still not getting the best efficiency. Also going to try some rice hulls, I have noticed that the grain becomes quite stuck at the bottom of the malt pipe which could be contributing to efficiency issues.

Really interested to hear how the recirculation goes. As mentioned previously I'm planning on upgrading to a bigger system so may need to look at pumps etc down the track.

Next purchase for me will be a mill so I can by my base malt by the sack.

I've been brewing like crazy lately. Have 2 fermenters going at the moment - Saison in one and Pale Ale in the other.

The pale ale I'm fermenting was the first time i'd ever used whole hops, there was about an additional 2 litres lost due to absorption, beer is tasting good from fermenter samples though.

Also been brewing a few "summer" ales - Pilsner base with vienna and wheat in support then all late hopped to 20-25 ibu plus a liberal dry hop. These beers have proved to be pretty popular.

As far as kegging goes my set up is simple but effective, cheap 200ish litre chest freezer, dressed pine collar, and a couple of taps. Looks decent enough. Fits 4-5 kegs - the longest part of the build was waiting between coats of stain on the collar.

So a 200L chest freezer fits 4-5 19L kegs? That's about The size I'd like. I want 4-5 taps. (Stout, IPA, Pale ale, lager/blonde would be my beers)

TiggaPlease

So a 200L chest freezer fits 4-5 19L kegs? That's about The size I'd like. I want 4-5 taps. (Stout, IPA, Pale ale, lager/blonde would be my beers)

Pretty much, I think mine is 205L (it's just a cheapy, GVA - Good guys home brand) and it fits four on the floor plus one on the hump if you've got a collar, I can also fit a 2.6kg co2 bottle on the hump.

I only run 2 taps and aim to have 2 full kegs on standby at all times.

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
Havent posted here in a while.

At the moment I have 2 brews fermenting.

I have a saison in the back shed but I have used american hops(centennial, columbus and Cascade) instead of english/european hops. Should be ready to bottle in a few weeks.

Also just brewed a Stout. Used a similar grain bill to my last stout but increased the roasted barley ever so slightly and decreased the oats. Once again, I have used american hops this time around (columbus and cascade). I also have 2 vanilla bean pods soaking in about 50ml of bourbon that I will add to the fermentor soon.

I am currently drinking an American Pale Ale that I made using Dr Smurtos Golden Ale grain bill, but hopped with centennial and Citra. I did equal additions of both, but centennial seems to stand out a bit more than the citra, its a really strong hop.

My next brew I am going to do a Coopers Pale Ale clone. I am going to do it properly and harvest the yeast from some coopers stubbies, its the only way you can get the yeast they use and Coopers actually encourage people to harvest their yeast and they have instructions on their site.

I have also been looking at Kegerator builds. Some people have some really nice ones, I really want to start kegging but im not that handy. Maybe one day ill make the attempt.

When culturing a Coopers Yeast I always went for the 750ml bottle rather than the stubbie, will be interested in how your yeast culture goes as I was disappointed with my last effort.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I really have been slack both here and in real life. My taps are dry and I'm buying beer!!!

I have discovered quite a bargain craft beer however - Adnam's Ghost Ship Pale Ale. You can get a 4 pack of 440ml cans for under $14. Absolute bargain when you consider what a 4 or 6 pack of other craft beer costs. Really nice drop too. It is heavy on the Maris Otter so a little malty but there is definitely a dry-hopping of Citra in there.

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_773033/adnams-ghost-ship-pale-ale-cans-440ml

So, I have smashed down a can of Coopers APA and will dry hop it with Mosaic and Centennial just to get something on tap, then I plan to take a day off next week and do a double brew day. Back to back brews. I think I'll do a Citra SMaSH along with maybe the 10min IPA.

Chicken_Hunter - I thought you had dramatically improved your efficiency by adding much more mash water in?

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
BTW - I just discovered the little homebrew store within walking distance of my office now stocks grain, hops and all other AG items. And they are ridiculously cheap! He sells the grain for the price he pays. eg Barrett Burston Pale Malt is $2.45/kg!!! His most expensive malt is $4.95/kg

I just picked up 5kg of milled Maris Otter, 100g of Citra and a packet of US05 for $33!

Cannon Hill Brewing is the name and they are on Wynnum Road. If you're in the region they are worth stopping in as they have all the ingredients at hand.

TiggaPlease

I have discovered quite a bargain craft beer however - Adnam's Ghost Ship Pale Ale. You can get a 4 pack of 440ml cans for under $14. Absolute bargain when you consider what a 4 or 6 pack of other craft beer costs. Really nice drop too. It is heavy on the Maris Otter so a little malty but there is definitely a dry-hopping of Citra in there.

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_773033/adnams-ghost-ship-pale-ale-cans-440ml

I love the ghost ship, definitely a go to when I feel like drinking something other than my own. Put a bloke at work on to it a month or two ago and it's pretty much all he buys now.

TiggaPlease

BTW - I just discovered the little homebrew store within walking distance of my office now stocks grain, hops and all other AG items. And they are ridiculously cheap! He sells the grain for the price he pays. eg Barrett Burston Pale Malt is $2.45/kg!!! His most expensive malt is $4.95/kg

I just picked up 5kg of milled Maris Otter, 100g of Citra and a packet of US05 for $33!

Cannon Hill Brewing is the name and they are on Wynnum Road. If you're in the region they are worth stopping in as they have all the ingredients at hand.

I've been meaning to check them out. I just bought a mill and am looking to find a reasonably priced supplier for by the sack purchases of ale malt.

Thanks for the heads up.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I've been meaning to check them out. I just bought a mill and am looking to find a reasonably priced supplier for by the sack purchases of ale malt.

Thanks for the heads up.
Definitely recommend them. They have everything that I was driving out to Crafbrewer for but much cheaper and much closer.

Plus his grind doesn't seem to be anywhere as fine as the notoriously fine (some would call it pulverised) grind that CB use.

TiggaPlease

Definitely recommend them. They have everything that I was driving out to Crafbrewer for but much cheaper and much closer.

Plus his grind doesn't seem to be anywhere as fine as the notoriously fine (some would call it pulverised) grind that CB use.

Great news, I've got no love for craftbrewer, their prices are disgraceful and I've had some pretty poor service there.

I usually either just order from Hoppydays or drive down to Quality Homebrew at slacks creek (they have a fairly limited range though)

Should be able to do a cannon hill run in my lunch break I reckon.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Just pitched onto my Citra SMaSH and I don't think I've had a better brew day. Hit my gravity target right on the button and achieved 65% efficiency which I'll be really happy with if I can hit it consistently.

This time I didn't make any volume or water chemistry adjustments as I just wanted to see what difference the coarser grind would make and it was no more obvious than the ease with which I was able to recirculate the wort during the mash. A few chemistry adjustments and fine tune my water measurements and I think I'll finally have the system nailed.

TiggaPlease

Just pitched onto my Citra SMaSH and I don't think I've had a better brew day. Hit my gravity target right on the button and achieved 65% efficiency which I'll be really happy with if I can hit it consistently.

What did your hop schedule look like for the SMaSH? I'd imagine most very late?

My co2 bottle is just about empty so I'll probably go check out Cannon Hill brewing tomorrow at lunch and grab a refill, some yeast and a shitload of malt to keep me going over the holiday period (I still haven't given my mill its maiden run!)

TiggaPlease

From memory:

10g @60m
5g@10m
10g@5m
20g@ flameout

55g dry hop

That will be delicious.

Putting my shopping list together at the moment - I think I'm right for hops so i'll be getting malt and a bit of yeast.

I'm thinking:

25kg Ale Malt
2-3kg Munich
1kg each of Med and Dark Crystal
1kg choc malt
1kg black malt
1kg smoked malt
1kg acidulated

I figure that should be enough to brew 6 various types of beer. I'm most excited about brewing a smoked porter, I know it isn't really the weather for it but I've been meaning to make one for ages.

First time buying in bulk so hopefully I get the balance right, either way it will be a learning experience.

TiggaPlease

That's a big plunge. No pilsner malt in there?

Ended up with 33kg malt, co2, some fuggles, 2 packs of yeast and $131 poorer...

I'm happy to mainly use ale as my base malt, I've been brewing a few summer ales with pilsner recently but I'll just buy it on an as needed basis for the moment.

Now I just need to work out whether I walk through the front door proudly with my bounty or if I should sneak it round the back!