What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Excitement Level for 2017?

Tom155

Coach
1. Ponga
2. Sio
3. Gagai
4. Wardle/Ross
5. Ross/Gagan
6. Lamb
7. Hodkinson (because you know it's true)
8. D. Saifiti
9. Mullen
10. J. Saifiti
11. Sione
12. Barnett
13. Buhrer (how long before it's ok for us to call him Ferris?)

14. Levi
15. Korbs
16. Mataora
17. Pauli Pauli

At least there's a bit of potential and unknown creeping in. The backs look heaps better. Forward pack is very young, could use an older head or two in there somewhere. I really hope the Ponga thing works out, I could begin to get excited then.
How I see it right now

1. Ponga
2. Sio
3. Gagai
4. Ross
5. Gagan
6. Mullen
7. Hodkinson
8. D. Saifiti
9. Kostjasyn
10. J. Saifiti
11. Sione
12. Barnett
13. Buhrer

14. Levi
15. Korbs
16. Mataora
17. Starling

slotmachine

First Grade
Why does everyone have Buhrer playing lock when he's been a second rower for the last two and a half years?

Replace Starling with a fit Pauli. Flip a four headed coin for the second wing spot, I'd like to see what a injury free Chanel has to offer personally. In my dreams Hodko is medically retired and replaced with Lamb.

perverse

Referee
Why does everyone have Buhrer playing lock when he's been a second rower for the last two and a half years?
Trying to fit Buhrer, Barnett and Sione in the run on side. Why are you so sure he'll play backrow when Brown's mandate for him is to retain his versatility, and that he could be used in a number of roles?

slotmachine

First Grade
More likely Barnett ends up at lock imo. Or someone like Korbin/Stockwell (if Brown can kiss and make up).

No place for small locks in the modern game sadly, and Buhrer is 94kgs.

Look at the guys playing there for the top teams;

Taumalolo - 113kg
Gallen - 105kg
Soliola - 107kg
Finucane - 106kg

Glendale

Juniors
If Ponga comes early the best thing it does is it makes our edges look more threatening. Gagai and Ross can play in the centres and we can use them to score a few points. Our attack doesn't nessacarily rely on Ponga being a superstar right from the word go.

Buhrer is in a fight with Batnett for me. One of them will play in the back row and the other I would like to see rotate with Korbin or Pauli at lock. Eg:

11. Sione
12. Barnett
13. Buhrer/Korbin
15. Korbin/Pauli/Buhrer

Buhrer won't be a Gallen type lock that makes metres up the guts but he will be a mobile running lock with a high defensive workrate. Interchange him with Korbin/Pauli after he gets through the first 30 minutes and hopefully those guys can make an impact. Sione could even try a bit of lock.

slotmachine

First Grade
Think that type of lock is dead I'm afraid.

Corey parker, trent merrin, sam kasiano/greg eastwood, sam burgess. Lock is for fatties.

Glendale

Juniors
Think that type of lock is dead I'm afraid.

Corey parker, trent merrin, sam kasiano/greg eastwood, sam burgess. Lock is for fatties.

What about instead of copying what everyone else is doing, we think outside the square and come up with a game plan that suits the players in our squad?

Anyway, Korbin is the archetypal 'fatty' lock if he was to play there. But would he last the 80 minutes? And we've gotta fit all three of Barnett, Sione and Buhrer in the 17 somehow.

Reason I suggest Korbin at lock is I reckon he is better suited to that role then prop. I think he was more or a lock coming through the grades? And he plays well there for Fiji.

Last edited:
Read (somewhere) last night that Brown was saying Kostjcyn and Buhrer are the players that can turn the club around.
I can't see it.
Since this thread is about excitement level then my excitement level for that happening is zero.
What it does indicate is that they'll both be given active positions.
I'm way from sold on Levi. This is the year he needs to reach his potential.

slotmachine

First Grade
Ditto on Levi. Huge question mark. If he fails to fire Brown needs to go shopping, preferably with Mullen/Hodkos money.

perverse

Referee
Read (somewhere) last night that Brown was saying Kostjcyn and Buhrer are the players that can turn the club around.
I can't see it.
Since this thread is about excitement level then my excitement level for that happening is zero.
What it does indicate is that they'll both be given active positions.
I'm way from sold on Levi. This is the year he needs to reach his potential.
They can turn us around by being agents of the culture change the club desperately needs.

isaiah

Bench
They already calling him the next Andrew johns
Much easier to see him as a darren Lockyer. Started as a fullback. Although at 18 Darren was a 6 in the juniors, but not good enough to push the year older ben walker out of the 6 jersey for either the qld u19's in 1995 or the 11 try arl hiding of parramatta where they both debuted. Julian o'Neill was fullback that day and john plath was the 6 in a loss the previous week.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I'm definitely more excited for this year coming than I was for the one we had. For the club to go alright we need a couple of more players to sign here in 2017 and Levi to fire. In this day and age, you can have the best team in the comp, but if your hooker is poor, then it is virtually impossible to do well.