What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Millward's delivers a world of pain.

possm

Coach
This is fair enough, but I'd say making an offer says "we want to keep you, on these terms". The Dugan quote has gotten a lot a play - but it wasn't "just a centre" it was "we think his future is at centre, possibly the best centre in the game, and probably the highest paid centre". Those are different things. And Packer if we offered 4 years at 600k that's still 200k he'd be giving up to stay with us. That's a lot of loyalty people expect him to give. We'll prob keep seeing this differently and that's fine, and I appreciate you spelling this out. It gets a bit much seeing repeated claims of "thats shit" without acknowledging the actual factors, or imagining that players shouldn't put their futures first.
The two major changes I want to see are Mann in for mccrone and Dufty given a run at fullback when dugans unavailable. Otherwise I think the risk doesn't outweigh the likely reward in replacing nene, or autism when he's back.
The Packer stuff was one of timing. The Tigers were not after him until Woods decided to go to the Dogs. In Nov 2016 to say Feb 2017, he said he wanted to stay but Millward made a decision to wait until Dugan was signed. There was no need to do that and no up-side at all.

possm

Coach
And I'm going to say exactly. Field is a much smaller man and has even admitted himself that he's not ready for first grade. He needs time in the lower grades to build his strength and get ready for the step up. As far as Dufty goes, those guys above didn't get a look into first grade for a almost a year. It's only been 14 rounds so far since his move from U20s. He can only be benefiting from spending time as a fullback (a position which does take massive amounts of punishment) in the Reggies.
The problem here is not the payer, not the coach it's Millward. He openly stated during negotiations with Dugan that Field was our fullback for 2018. Field is not ready and still should be playing NYC. He has had a few bad games in reserve grade playing at 6 most probably because his body is feeling the punishment.

Crush

Coach
The same bloke who is an Immortal... But please tell us all about your expertise and why you know more about Rugby League than the current rep coaches...
Ahh careful BTN, that doesn't fly on this forum. When I have made the same argument about why posters on a forum think they know better than McGregor and Daley who both played for Australia I got shot down. I beleive it was something like footballers don't have a high IQ (Objective View) and a good player doesn't make a good coach.
I find it laughable that random nrl fans think they know better than people who have dedicated their whole lives to the sport.
But they do. They really beleive that they do.

duck

Juniors
Got to get the 20 - 21 year olds that we already have on contract through 1st as they deserve their chance don't they or do they need to do more apprenticeship?
When we get them slotted in of course any outstanding 18 year olds can then be looked at.
Can you not see the benefit of young guys playing in reggies?

Old Timer

Coach
Ahh careful BTN, that doesn't fly on this forum. When I have made the same argument about why posters on a forum think they know better than McGregor and Daley who both played for Australia I got shot down. I beleive it was something like footballers don't have a high IQ (Objective View) and a good player doesn't make a good coach.
I find it laughable that random nrl fans think they know better than people who have dedicated their whole lives to the sport.
Crush
Meninga has a very classy record as a coach and therefore is hard to question in the case of Mc Gregor or perhaps Jason Taylor or Brad Fittler all high class players how are their coaching records in comparison?
Bennett and Bellamy just rugby leaguer players at best how are their coaching records compared to some that played at the elite level?
Do you think Bennett, Bellamy or Meninga would be running our team and selections the way Mc Gregor does and who do you think would get the best results?
When you say that random fans think they know better etc etc obviously the fans are expressing an opinion because the team is not going as well as they think it should which is no different to how people see business', politics etc it is a human trait.
That's why governments come and go, heads of companies come and go as do some RL coaches because the fans, punters, shareholders are ultimately correct and the results they are getting are not good enough so don't underestimate the knowledge of the average person.
Mc Gregor and Daley are yet to earn their stripes as have Meninga, Bennett and Bellamy.
In your logic the Tigpie fans were all incorrect and Taylor should still be there?
Were we incorrect re Price after all he has devoted his whole life to it?

The Damo

Juniors
The Packer stuff was one of timing. The Tigers were not after him until Woods decided to go to the Dogs. In Nov 2016 to say Feb 2017, he said he wanted to stay but Millward made a decision to wait until Dugan was signed. There was no need to do that and no up-side at all.
The only evidence you have for your version is that is one quote from Millward. Which doesn't say anything about why that decision was made. You're actually convinced that Packer was prepared to sign say a 3 year 450k contract in nov 2016? And hat if theyd just written it down he'd sign it?
I get you've got a low opinion of millward but why do you think Packer is an idiot? He would have known that if he played to his potential he'd get picked for kiwis and improve his value significantly. I assume Packer is not an idiot, and so it's likely he wanted to hold off and that's why the decision to delay was made mutually.

Old Timer

Coach
Can you not see the benefit of young guys playing in reggies?
Of course there is some benefit, I never said there wasn't but there comes s time and there are circumstances when the time for their entry to 1st grade presents itself and I don't believe we avail ourselves of those moments nearly well enough.
Do we give some of them a little taste yes we do, but do we have the belief in them, that if we keep them there and give them even more, that they can achieve that is the question.

Crush

Coach
Crush
Meninga has a very classy record as a coach and therefore is hard to question in the case of Mc Gregor or perhaps Jason Taylor or Brad Fittler all high class players how are their coaching records in comparison?
Bennett and Bellamy just rugby leaguer players at best how are their coaching records compared to some that played at the elite level?
Do you think Bennett, Bellamy or Meninga would be running our team and selections the way Mc Gregor does and who do you think would get the best results?
When you say that random fans think they know better etc etc obviously the fans are expressing an opinion because the team is not going as well as they think it should which is no different to how people see business', politics etc it is a human trait.
That's why governments come and go, heads of companies come and go as do some RL coaches because the fans, punters, shareholders are ultimately correct and the results they are getting are not good enough so don't underestimate the knowledge of the average person.
Mc Gregor and Daley are yet to earn their stripes as have Meninga, Bennett and Bellamy.
In your logic the Tigpie fans were all incorrect and Taylor should still be there?
Were we incorrect re Price after all he has devoted his whole life to it?
My point is that people are allowed to criticise coaches, players, governments whatever but they shouldn't necessarily think that they know better than them.
Its very easy to criticise others. Its like people calling McGregor a drunk for going low range DUI. The same people probably spend most nights in a pub...

Dugan has become to slow for fullback and his passing game is rather ordinary.

He could have stayed at the Dragons for the same amount as he is getting at the Sharks but no he decided to move on not only on the same money amount but to be told he is playing centre.

Surely his manager would have known that even Dugan himself would have been awhere Flannigan had no intention of shifting Holmes to accomidate him.

Yes the 4 years would have been enticing and if he got offended by what Millward said then he is rather piss weak.

Packer the way he has played lately he is either injured or he has lost interest either way the money the Tigers offered him for a 27 year old he should take it and there is no blame on him or the club for that.

Milne you can see why he moved on he wouldn't be starting next year and at the Tigers he more then likely will be.

Imo Dodd if he wasn't injured should have been picked over him because i consider him a better player mind you they may not keep him either.

blacksafake

First Grade
You are correct phil Mary is the one not picking players and the question has to by why.

He either fails to give guys a go or picks players who are out of form.
It's called safety first selection which is why he continues to use Nighty at fullback when Dugan is not there,KFFL instead of a faster junior & the writings on the wall with Mathews now that he's back from injury.If McInnes went down injured do you think he'd gamble on someone like Robson or would he go with Marketo?

possm

Coach
Just a quick question?
Can anyone name a "recruitment/ retention" or "pathways director" at another club?

No?
Then maybe Millward should keep his big mouth shut.
Millward has ambitions to be the CEO. He needs to be known out there in Dragons country. Problem is that he has stuffed up every job he has been handed and left a mess each time.

He has learnt that this is not a problem because daddy will deliver the next promotion as usual.

Millward has ambitions to be the CEO. He needs to be known out there in Dragons country. Problem is that he has stuffed up every job he has been handed and left a mess each time.

He has learnt that this is not a problem because daddy will deliver the next promotion as usual.
Stuffed up and left a mess? Sounds like Dragons CEO material to me.

BringTheNoise

Juniors

I'm not going to lie, I myself have been guilty of this many times. Obviously McGregor has forgotten more about footy than I will ever know but his coaching and decisions around the makeup of the bench/interchanges etc still frustrate the f*** out of me.

Latest posts