What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARLC Commission Changes

I'm reading your guff and just shaking my head .
Gallop's title before he became CEO in 2002 was wait for it:-
NRL's Director of Legal and Business Affairs.

So this guy just sits in his leather chair and offers no advice whatsoever to CEOs and fellow directors ,(remembering News owned half the NRL ) on business decisions .No he is just there for appearance's sake.
Absolutely no influence .Just got the CEO job with the NRL,because he sat back like a dummy and offered nothing in the past.

Yep that's our Dave.
So what decisions did he make?

So he's a News stooge...but at the same time he was a big decision maker and that's why he got the CEO job.

So which is it? You're all over the place. That's what desperation and saying anything to try to make the commission seem even minimally competent does.

taipan

Referee
So what decisions did he make?

So he's a News stooge...but at the same time he was a big decision maker and that's why he got the CEO job.

So which is it? You're all over the place. That's what desperation and saying anything to try to make the commission seem even minimally competent does.

"What decisions did he make"Dumb question.
His position suggests probably involved in all til 2012 as an adviser then as CEO.

2nd para first time you probably are near to the mark.

"All over the place".Another nebulous comment.He was a " respected" senior News man,his views involved in decision making and his eventual promotion to CEO.You cannot see some tie up.It's called in house promotion.

" Desperation".This coming from a guy who loves critique ,but offers stuff all to remedy the situation.I'd call it deflection.

"What decisions did he make"Dumb question.
His position suggests probably involved in all til 2012 as an adviser then as CEO.

2nd para first time you probably are near to the mark.

"All over the place".Another nebulous comment.He was a " respected" senior News man,his views involved in decision making and his eventual promotion to CEO.You cannot see some tie up.It's called in house promotion.

" Desperation".This coming from a guy who loves critique ,but offers stuff all to remedy the situation.I'd call it deflection.
Deflection huh?

So in a thread about the current comission who is going back to the 90s in a failing attempt to shift focus away from what is happening (or not happening) in 2017?

Who is searching Wikipedia pages desperately trying to find "facts" about David Gallop to link him to things that happened in the 1990s?

Who is blatantly fabricating "facts" about David Gallop and his role with News Ltd and the NRL despite knowing precisely nothing about what he did or didn't do in those roles?

Who is so contradictory that one minute Gallop is a News stooge who is only there as a puppet to do what Murdoch tells him to do and the next he's a big mover and shaker who has influence over the NRL CEO, board members and others and his stellar work landed him the NRL CEO job on merit?

There's one hell of a lot of deflection and desperation going on here. Why? To cover the fact the commission has failed to expand the league despite having more money than ever, more staff than ever and supposedly being free to run the game independently. And at the same time to avoid the embarrassing truth that the league expanded more under Gallop than under the commission.

I suppose it's a change from trying in vain to pretend that crowds being bigger when Gallop was in charge than they are now doesn't prove anything either. But you've been shown up in both cases now. Time to move on to the next set of excuses and alternative facts about whatever the next failure of the commission will be.

taipan

Referee
Nope wrong once again.I'm simply pointing out the fact 1)Gallop was involved in the game via the NRL since 1997 in one capacity or another, and that involved advice re decision making.
2)Under his involvement clubs were axed and lost and merged.
3) Expansion actually happened 1995 prior to Gallop getting anywhere near rl in any capacity .

During his time as a legal advisor he had Moffatt and a couple of other non performing CEOs in tow.
Desperately searching Wiki FMD ,I threw that one in as an aside with little emphasis..

He was around when the Titans got into deep sh*t as CEO of the NRL.He was CEO when the Storm played silly Bs with the salary cap, when the dramas happened with the Dogs at Coffs,when the drug issue cropped up at the Sharks,he made promises about expansion that weren't kept re Perth,he got left at the starting gate when another code was able to secure Govt funding for infrastructure,he rarely visited the bush according to bush people,he also paid lip service to International rl.

Gallop was involved with negotiating Tv deals to a company owned by Rupert,that happened to own half the company Gallop worked for.Rupert or his negotiators had the upper hand,Hardly a scoop.

Otherwise never mentioned Rupert controlling what Gallop did as CEO.So that's BS.And it's ain't contradictory.It's as obvious as Slater getting decked.
Gallop got "flicked' so Grant & Co could see something wasn't right.

Now for Smith he earned a king's ransom, and spent like it .He went bull at a gate for the Tv deal, and we got pasted.He employed fancy underlings who appears did little.He was the subject to so much crap from News ltd it was embarrassing.Smith at least made an effort to get out whenever possible to the bush.News were out to get him, and they succeeded.

If it has more money than ever in 2017,why does it have to borrow money in advance for this year?
If dopey clubs get into financial difficulty like the Titans,knights,Tigers and Dragons,are they supposed to just roll over and die or should any sporting code provide financial support.?The answer is obvious.
Obviously never heard of inflation and rising player payments etc,costs don't; sit still,they may in your bubble world.

Stop writing bollocks, never pretended crowds were bigger now.I look at ANZ and the SFS and am embarrassed.
I stated possible reasons for the decline, and IMO they are many not just one.And I'm not going to spend another lifetime writing them all down.

The money supposedly rolls in in 2018,if Greenberg can't operate with these figures (and bear in mind Grant got overly generous with the clubs) ,then the sh*t will hit the fan.

Once again I have asked for your solution to the problem, but your remain "mute".' Shown up" LOL.you whiningly bang on and offer no solutions. A mouse that roared.

Nope wrong once again.I'm simply pointing out the fact 1)Gallop was involved in the game via the NRL since 1997 in one capacity or another, and that involved advice re decision making.
2)Under his involvement clubs were axed and lost and merged.
3) Expansion actually happened 1995 prior to Gallop getting anywhere near rl in any capacity .
During his time as a legal advisor he had Moffatt and a couple of other non performing CEOs in tow.
Desperately searching Wiki FMD ,I threw that one in as an aside with little emphasis..

He was around when the Titans got into deep sh*t as CEO of the NRL.He was CEO when the Storm played silly Bs with the salary cap, when the dramas happened with the Dogs at Coffs,when the drug issue cropped up at the Sharks,he made promises about expansion that weren't kept re Perth,he got left at the starting gate when another code was able to secure Govt funding for infrastructure,he rarely visited the bush according to bush people,he also paid lip service to International rl.

Gallop was involved with negotiating Tv deals to a company owned by Rupert,that happened to own half the company Gallop worked for.Rupert or his negotiators had the upper hand,Hardly a scoop.

Otherwise never mentioned Rupert controlling what Gallop did as CEO.So that's BS.And it's ain't contradictory.It's as obvious as Slater getting decked.
Gallop got "flicked' so Grant & Co could see something wasn't right.

Now for Smith he earned a king's ransom, and spent like it .He went bull at a gate for the Tv deal, and we got pasted.He employed fancy underlings who appears did little.He was the subject to so much crap from News ltd it was embarrassing.Smith at least made an effort to get out whenever possible to the bush.News were out to get him, and they succeeded.

If it has more money than ever in 2017,why does it have to borrow money in advance for this year?
If dopey clubs get into financial difficulty like the Titans,knights,Tigers and Dragons,are they supposed to just roll over and die or should any sporting code provide financial support.?The answer is obvious.
Obviously never heard of inflation and rising player payments etc,costs don't; sit still,they may in your bubble world.

Stop writing bollocks, never pretended crowds were bigger now.I look at ANZ and the SFS and am embarrassed.
I stated possible reasons for the decline, and IMO they are many not just one.And I'm not going to spend another lifetime writing them all down.

The money supposedly rolls in in 2018,if Greenberg can't operate with these figures (and bear in mind Grant got overly generous with the clubs) ,then the sh*t will hit the fan.

Once again I have asked for your solution to the problem, but your remain "mute".' Shown up" LOL.you whiningly bang on and offer no solutions. A mouse that roared.
"Under his involvement"

What a load of shit. So now everything that happened in rugby league between 1997 and 2012 was down to Gallop because he was "involved" in that period.

The Melbourne Storm was created "under his involvement". Is he reaponsible for their existence? Of course not. In fact the NRL itself was created in this time. He was neither the boss of Super League or the ARL but I guess it's down to him because he was "involved".

I've seen some tenuous, desperate, bizarre shit on these forums over the years but this has to be the most ridiculous of the lot. It's right up there with the f**kwit who similarly tried to claim the NRL was responsible for the PNG Hunters entering the Qld Cup because they fund the QRL who actually made the decision so therefore it was the NRL who deserve the credit. Now that was some tenuous bullshit. Who was that again?

And the desperation of linking everything negative to Gallop between 2002 and 2012, you really want to apply that bizarre logic do you? Ok. Storm salary cap down to Gallop? Parramatta must be down to the commission. Coffs Harbour Gallop's fault? Every player atrocity since 2012 must be the commission's fault. FMD. I don't think the tards at NRLHQ would even want you defending them based on that effort.

And as for the bit in bold, you've just highlighted the incompetence of the very tards you spend your life making excuses for. They have more money than ever and have pissed it away to the point they're making losses. Well done. Even in your own twisted mind in which you think your shit not only makes sense but is brilliant you must realise how much you've f**ked up there. But it's okay you've got a list of excuses for them, as always. And you'll continue wanking on about Gallop in an effort to deflect attention from your mate Greentard and friends to the point where you even have to make up the most ludicrous shit imaginable.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-grant-has-a-few-regrets-20170729-gxleg5.html

Australian Rugby League Commission chairman John Grant has a few regrets
Regrets? John Grant has a few.

Reflecting on his time as the first chairman of rugby league's inaugural independent commission, there is one period in particular he wishes he could have over.

"We wouldn't have had the fracas we had at the end of last year," Grant told Fairfax Media. "Really simple. At the end of day, as the head of the organisation, that's my responsibility.

"As to what really happened, that's a totally different story, which is not worth elaborating on. But the clubs feel, understandably, let down from a trust point of view.

"We believe the case we had was really rock solid and frankly it was from an investment point of view and the future of the game.

"But the communication of that was not as good as it should have been. The clubs reacted to that and there was only one thing they could do and that was to try to target the chairman, which I perfectly understand.

"You can't not accept responsibility for that situation."

That situation was an attempt to renege on the NRL's funding to clubs, a promise Grant had signed off on. There is a feeling the former Kangaroo had, in order to save his own skin, conceded more ground to the clubs than he had originally anticipated. When Grant attempted to claw it back, citing the game's inability to fund clubs to the tune of 130 per cent of player payments, club powerbrokers wanted his head.

Some would have us believe Super League II was upon us as club participation agreements remained unsigned. Grant became the lightning rod for all the game's disaffection.

Perhaps he should have fallen on his sword then?

"There's no point in stepping down then," Grant replied. "If we didn't get a deal done this game today would be in a pretty awful situation. That is factually the case. We'd still have all the friction going on between the clubs and the commission and the NRL and that's not good for the game.

"That intense period in December, and all the motivations around that, the exactly right thing to do was to get a deal done. And we got it done."

Grant's job will soon be done as well. He will step down in February, a move that will act as a circuit-breaker for those still stewing over the funding fracas. Two new commissioners, former Queensland Premier Peter Beattie and Professor Megan Davis, have just joined the commission. The latter did a stint as a UN peacekeeper, an experience that could prove handy in rugby league's corridors of power.

"If more people had that skill, we'd be better off," Grant said. "There are too many warring people."

The Australian Rugby League Commission hasn't achieved all it set out to do. Its strategic plan was ambitious. In hindsight, overly so. Average crowds are down more than 5000 on the 20,000 anticipated, club membership figures are 100,000 short of the 400,000 predicted and participation rates are also south of estimates.

Even after securing a record broadcasting deal, the NRL had to get a loan to fill the $60 million black hole in its budget forecasts.

"Aspirations are meant to be for the whole of the game and, for the implementation of that [strategic plan], we didn't get all of game buy in," Grant said.

"If you reflect back on why we did that, it's because we didn't have anything. We didn't have a vision for the game; no one had a set of values. If you want to be really hard-nosed ... we actually met some of the targets, but there are some that were not met.

"For a game and organisation that didn't have a plan, it was a fine plan at the time."

Grant wants to be judged on the delivery of big-ticket items. He points to the broadcast deal, the securing of $1.6 billion from the NSW government to modernise Sydney stadiums, the "outstanding growth" in commercial revenue. The constitutional change and the funding arrangement the clubs had fought so hard to secure.

He believes another bitter battle, a collective bargaining agreement with the Rugby League Players' Association, will be soon be over and be a win for all parties.

"If you then view how the organisation is run, it's fair to say in the early parts of the commission the organisation spent too much money," Grant conceded.

"In the last two-and-a-half to three years we've pulled that back dramatically. Going forward, it is a very fine-tuned organisation from an expense point of view. High revenues and low expenses in running it gives you more to distribute, so funding with the clubs should be massive and guarantee the clubs' sustainability forever [when] the clubs put in place the football department spending cap."

Grant concedes that the commission's communication has been "poor at times" and that mistakes have been made along the way. But he believes much has been achieved during his tenure and the game is now positioned to secure its future domestically and abroad.

"Has it been too difficult?" he said. "There have certainly been moments where it has been really difficult. But if you look at it in the long run – and I've always been someone who has done that – after six years, I'm really, seriously comfortable with what's happened as distinct to all the ups and downs of the media cycle.

"I would be hopeful people will reflect on that when they judge the performance of this first commission."

The useless merkin needs taipan to do his spin for him. He didn't mention G G Gallop once! Knows nothing about deflection that bloke. He managed a few excuses but nowhere near the list his number one fan on here conjures up for him.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Gallop cost the game millions upon millions.

Greenburgs spent billions! The game had in the bank pre Greenburg more money than the ARL had pre SL war, and Greenburg has spent it all, and what do we have to show for it? Apparently we now need a loan to deal with cash flow problems. Wtf??

He has already spent a chunk of the 2018> tv money this year and still has to get a loan. Wtf??

Vee

First Grade
You'd go a long way to see a more self-serving piece of lightweight guff than this.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-grant-has-a-few-regrets-20170729-gxleg5.html

JULY 29 2017 - 8:41PM Adrian Proszenko

Regrets? John Grant has a few.

Reflecting on his time as the first chairman of rugby league's inaugural independent commission, there is one period in particular he wishes he could have over. And whose fault was that?

"We wouldn't have had the fracas we had at the end of last year," Grant told Fairfax Media. "Really simple. At the end of day, as the head of the organisation, that's my responsibility.

"As to what really happened, that's a totally different story, which is not worth elaborating on. Because it will colour me in a particularly unflattering light. But the clubs feel, understandably, let down from a trust point of view.

That situation was an attempt to renege on the NRL's funding to clubs, a promise Grant had signed off on without considering the full implications. There is a feeling the former Kangaroo had, in order to save his own skin, conceded more ground to the clubs than he had originally anticipated. When Grant attempted to claw it back, citing the game's inability to fund clubs to the tune of 130 per cent of player payments, club powerbrokers wanted his head.

Some would have us believe Super League II was upon us as club participation agreements remained unsigned. Grant became the lightning rod for all the game's disaffection.

Perhaps he should have fallen on his sword then?

"There's no point in stepping down then," Grant replied. "If we didn't get a deal done this game today would be in a pretty awful situation. That is factually the case. We'd still have all the friction going on between the clubs and the commission and the NRL and that's not good for the game.

"That intense period in December, and all the motivations around that, the exactly right thing to do was to get a deal done. And we got it done."

Grant's job will soon be done as well. He will step down in February, a move that will act as a circuit-breaker for those still stewing over the funding fracas. Two new commissioners, former Queensland Premier Peter Beattie and Professor Megan Davis, have just joined the commission. The latter did a stint as a UN peacekeeper, an experience that could prove handy in rugby league's corridors of power.

"If more people had that skill, we'd be better off," Grant said. "There are too many warring people." And that's what we have a commission for, to rein in the egos and do the best thing for the game. And you were the head of the commission, so who should we blame?

The Australian Rugby League Commission hasn't achieved all it set out to do. Its strategic plan was ambitious. In hindsight, overly so. Average crowds are down more than 5000 on the 20,000 anticipated, club membership figures are 100,000 short of the 400,000 predicted and participation rates are also south of estimates.

Even after securing a record broadcasting deal that we could hardly miss, the NRL had to get a loan to fill the $60 million black hole in its budget forecasts.

"Aspirations are meant to be for the whole of the game and, for the implementation of that [strategic plan], we didn't get all of game buy in," Grant said.

"If you reflect back on why we did that, it's because we didn't have anything. We didn't have a vision for the game; no one had a set of values Again, you were the Chairman so who do we blame?. If you want to be really hard-nosed ... we actually met some of the targets, but there are some that were not met List them all and let's compare the good with the bad so we can judge your performance fairly.

"For a game and organisation that didn't have a plan, it was a fine plan at the time."

Grant wants to be judged on the delivery of big-ticket items. He points to the broadcast deal (Again, we could hardly miss), the securing of $1.6 billion from the NSW government to modernise Sydney stadiums (Still up in the air even today in the media), the "outstanding growth" in commercial revenue. The constitutional change and the funding arrangement the clubs had fought so hard to secure.

He believes another bitter battle, a collective bargaining agreement with the Rugby League Players' Association, will be soon be over and be a win for all parties Given your history of being frank and honest, let's wait and see, shall we?.

"If you then view how the organisation is run, it's fair to say in the early parts of the commission the organisation spent too much money," Grant conceded (Read: We spent like drunken sailors, drunk on power and money)

"In the last two-and-a-half to three years we've pulled that back dramatically. Going forward, it is a very fine-tuned organisation from an expense point of view. High revenues and low expenses in running it gives you more to distribute, so funding with the clubs should be massive and guarantee the clubs' sustainability forever [when] the clubs put in place the football department spending cap."

Grant concedes that the commission's communication has been "poor at times" and that mistakes have been made along the way. But he believes much has been achieved during his tenure and the game is now positioned to secure its future domestically and abroad.

"Has it been too difficult?" he said. "There have certainly been moments where it has been really difficult. But if you look at it in the long run – and I've always been someone who has done that – after six years, I'm really, seriously comfortable with what's happened as distinct to all the ups and downs of the media cycle.

"I would be hopeful people will reflect on that when they judge the performance of this first commission."

BuffaloRules

Coach
Greenburgs spent billions! The game had in the bank pre Greenburg more money than the ARL had pre SL war, and Greenburg has spent it all, and what do we have to show for it? Apparently we now need a loan to deal with cash flow problems. Wtf??

He has already spent a chunk of the 2018> tv money this year and still has to get a loan. Wtf??

Think you are confusing Greenburg with your mate Smith with the "spending billions"...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Think you are confusing Greenburg with your mate Smith with the "spending billions"...

Smith put money away, Greenburg has spent all the saved money, needed a loan and spent some of next tv deal already. This notion that somehow the nrl is now being run cheaper is a furphy. They are spending much more than smith's years in charge and have a higher admin expenditure than any time in the games history.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Smith put money away, Greenburg has spent all the saved money, needed a loan and spent some of next tv deal already. This notion that somehow the nrl is now being run cheaper is a furphy. They are spending much more than smith's years in charge and have a higher admin expenditure than any time in the games history.

Smith might have put some money away in his first year but how much was there when he left?

Smith has shown them all how to spend money...

At least Greenberg is only getting paid half as much as Smith for his incompetence ( a difference of $700k a year)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Pay peanuts get monkeys!

$60mill loan
$50mill tv advance
$38mill in the bank

All gone in space of two years on top of the normal revenue.

And what do we have to show for it?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Smith might have put some money away in his first year but how much was there when he left?

Smith has shown them all how to spend money...

At least Greenberg is only getting paid half as much as Smith for his incompetence ( a difference of $700k a year)

$37.8mill

Smith was in charge 13,14 and most of 15. 13&14 the game ran at significant surplus and banked $50mill in an investment fund. 2015 knights, Titans, Tigers and dragons failed and the nrl decided to step in and bail them out. They drew on $12.2mill of the savings to do so. Since then the game has given up on having any money put away for a rainy day and continued to run at significant losses under Greenburg. This has seen the game spend $148million more than income in two years! It's spent its savings, it's spent some of future revenue and it's in hock to the tune of $60million. You can imagine how much Payments are going to cost the game on that. All on record levels of revenue!

The game must be going amazing to have spent so much right? Surely we must be national, have record crowds, booming grassroots, tv audiences dwarfing any other sport and clubs with money coming out of their ears? No? Really?

BuffaloRules

Coach
Smith left at the end of the 2015 NRL season.,. So how much of a nest egg was left then?

Look, I'm not arguing Greenberg is any good, however he hasn't been in the role enough time to spend "billions"...

Smith was worse though and ended up squandering whatever money he could, and introduced his champagne and caviar bankers background to the NRL

I'll never forgive the twat for the terrible Channel 9 deal either...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Smith left at the end of the 2015 NRL season.,. So how much of a nest egg was left then?

Look, I'm not arguing Greenberg is any good, however he hasn't been in the role enough time to spend "billions"...

Smith was worse though and ended up squandering whatever money he could, and introduced his champagne and caviar bankers background to the NRL

I'll never forgive the twat for the terrible Channel 9 deal either...

I've just told you, $37.8million!

I've got no love for smith, he was barely a step up from the other gonks we've had in charge but at least he modernised the nrl organisation and looked like he could move it into a professional business. Gallop, smith, Greenburg, we have hardly been blessed with talent in the last decade!

I've shown above the last two years of expenditure far exceed anything that has gone before. $350mill a year revenue PLUS $148million!

Pedge1971

First Grade
Just out for a coffee and reading the sports pages, it seems Australian sport across the board is managed by idiots!

Cricket - major player fall out over salaries
FFA - major spat with clubs and FIFA threatening to disband them
ARU - in court with one of their own clubs as they try to kill one off as they are skint and have no quality players

Seems it's not just RL blighted by buffoons!

The size of the market cannot provide the revenue channels all these sports need to survive, and most need to grow to survive which means taking share from another code in a saturated market like Australia.

It ia not an easy situation to manage particularly when the players want a bigger share of the pie. Plus all the sports listed above have their own set of unique circumstances.

Latest posts