What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refs all over the place

T-Boon

Coach
Well it's not actually because it is not foul play and it is not going to cause injury if done right. A cannonball tackle is yes, but if all you are doing is grabbing the legs so they fall over there's no problem.

It is definitely more cowardly.
At least a trip is generally one on one and the tripper could get hurt themselves. The third man in hyena tackle just looks like school yard bullies daxing a nerdy kid in my opinion. Like trying to flush a nerds head down the toilet or something. It is cowardly and bullying while the trip is just cowardly.

ed-grimley

Bench
It seems that teams are getting a lot of latitude with offside play when pinning a team on its own line.

T-Boon

Coach
Andrew Johns just had a whinge about a try line penalty for offside. He was looking at replays and insisting everyone was onside. I had a look on my streamed fox, paused it and there was 1 player blatantly offside right in front of the ref he was a sort of a marker except that he was about a metre off square.
I agree they should be using the bin a lot because that is the only way coaches will get the message that the rules are in charge not their sneaky little cheat tactics. They need to teach their players to be disciplined on the try line.
Times up coaches.

Shorty

Staff member
I was always confused by what was so heinous about a trip that it deserved an instant red back in the old days? I saw much more dangerous things go far less severely punished, but tripping was seen as one of the worse acts you could commit. The crime didn't seem to fit the punishment?
Err the same reason why it’s dealt with in soccer, it can actually cause serious injury if gone wrong.