What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ireland to cut heritage players

deluded pom?

Coach
I don't understand why Finn thinks it's the end of his international career. As the incumbent captain he'll be the first name on the team sheet.

yakstorm

First Grade
Finn makes some very fair points, and honestly for someone who has given a decade of service and is the most capped Ireland international of all times is more than entitled to his opinion. He has certainly showed his commitment and passion for Ireland.

Whilst it is great to see the RLI keen to reduce heritage players, shifting from 5 from 24 to 12 from 17 is extreme in such a short period.

Even going to 12 from the 24 man squad would still allow for a core professional squad plus ensure that there are domestic players in every team that takes the field.

It will as well prevent the scenario where Ireland suddenly is no longer considered a Tier 2 nation when they can no longer compete and the RLEF decide just to make the Euro Championship a Tri-Series because they don't / can't afford the additional insurance for having more amateur players taking on professionals (it does impact premiums).

Hopefully some pragmatism can be taken with this and a balance of the two can be found.

Pommy

Coach
Why are they saying players who play domestically? If any Irishman is good enough to play in the SL or NRL why would they treat them as an outsider. I can understand the desire and want to reduce heritage players but it seems to be a strange wording.

roughyedspud

Coach
I long for the day when we have a heritage player rule instead of a domestic player rule....but it has to be done incrementally over a number of years as well has having the domestic set up and pathway to fulfill the desired outcome....or else they'll go backwards

adamkungl

Immortal
This is what we wanted isn't it... lol

To think developing nations can suddenly throw in weekend warriors against professionals is delusional and won't magically grow the game in Ireland.

At least Serbia's chances just went up

deal.with.it

Juniors
There has been no announcement from Ireland.

Last year they announced that moving forward they would have a quota for Ireland born/developed by players. I think it was to be 5 for the WC and move to 8 the follow year. Someone find the article for me please.

I think Finn is taking this out of context. Ireland want to get their players playing in higher comps AND want to reward the efforts of the best domestics.

roughyedspud

Coach
This is what we wanted isn't it... lol

It is but there needs to be method behind it..

For world cups start at 6 domestics then up-to 8,10,12 over consecutive world cups...do it slowly so not to impact on the quality of the team..

Likewise for European cups you could get away with at least half the squad being domestics and it still being competitive...

Increasing domestics and remaining competitive is really a 10,15 or even 20 year job....not something done at the drop of a hat.

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade
There should be a rule when tier 2 are playing each other they are only allowed a certain number of heritage players each. When they play a tier one then it can increase. Easy.

langpark

First Grade
Pretty scathing words there by Finn. It's a shame this article only gives us one side of the story.

I think overall it's great news. I also think he's a hypocrite too. He claims to be 'Mr Ireland' where as 99% of these guys would drop everything and run to the England team if ever selected. But since he spent most of his career playing below Super League level, he knew he was no chance, so opted for Ireland instead, as many do.

yakstorm

First Grade
I feel calling Finn a hypocrite a bit harsh. He has given 11 consecutive seasons worth of service to Ireland, played in every Qualifier, World Cup and European Championship match in that time and has never come out and said ''I want to play for England" or said no to a jersey the faint hope of being selected by someone better.

He has called for L1 teams in Ireland, worked with domestic player development and actually been to the country.

Sure there are other players in the squad that you can question how committed they really are, but honestly I'm not sure what more Finn could do to show that he is passionate about Irish Rugby League.

langpark

First Grade
^ I agree it was a bit harsh. But I hate how harsh Finn is being on the volunteers that have been fighting the good fight for years. I remember multiple times reading that the Irish agreed to have X amount of domestic players in their team from now on. For one reason or another, that has never eventuated. Why is that? Do the pro players and coach bully them around until they get their own way perhaps? It seems after years of trying to implement it, they are finally putting their foot down. I agree, a more gradual process would be a better idea, but perhaps the RLI are afraid of agreeing on a quota only to get shafted again at the last-minute. Just like they did at the World Cup. They took a domestic player over, but he never did anything more than carry water. Just like the "Italians" with Bergamasco. It's a farce mate.

Pommy

Coach
There should be a rule when tier 2 are playing each other they are only allowed a certain number of heritage players each. When they play a tier one then it can increase. Easy.

Not sure that’s going to do them a lot of favours in tournaments.
Players having to learn different combos and a lack of consistency etc.
even from a financial point of view they would have to pay for a bigger squad to travel.

jim_57

Staff member
I’m English. I’ll let the Irish back in Ireland decide what’s best for them.

I'd agree with that. To me it just seems some people seem to think that it will magically solve some problems with Irish domestic league if homegrown players have a better chance of playing a World Cup. I think those people are in for a shock. Look at USA as a prime example.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bold move by RLI, will relegate them as a national side and may cost them a RLWC spot though. Not sure how much media coverage they got during the the last RLWC in Ireland but I’d have thought having a high profile performing national team would have been good for the game over there. Being relegated to the level of Serbia and holland isnt going to help that.

deluded pom?

Coach
Bold move by RLI, will relegate them as a national side and may cost them a RLWC spot though. Not sure how much media coverage they got during the the last RLWC in Ireland but I’d have thought having a high profile performing national team would have been good for the game over there. Being relegated to the level of Serbia and holland isnt going to help that.
It might not help PR but it’s their choice to make.