What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint Doc

Coach
FF98FC1B-2403-4157-B42D-249FD6F4E640.jpg

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I think they give zero f**ks to be honest.

Sure, maybe there is the odd player, maybe a junior, who is still deeply passionate about the jersey.

But when you see Josh Reynolds at the Tigers, BMoz at Dogs, Farah at Souths, Cronk at th Roosters etc etc, it’s hard to believe any of them truly care about an away jersey vs a home jersey.

It think it’s a fan thing
What about in instances like Newcastle v Wests Tigers where the opposition are wearing something similar to what you normally would be playing in?

sempmrh

Juniors
Here's an interesting perspective on perception of alternate jerseys. Traditionally in the AFL (now hear me out here) the away team wore white shorts. In recent times, however, that guideline seemed to change a bit to where the team with the higher percentage of white on their jumper had to wear white shorts. This saw North Melbourne - whose traditional uniform is white with royal blue vertical stripes and royal blue shorts - having to wear white shorts, even when playing at home. In the last few years they promoted their alternate (an inverse of their traditional look) to become the home jumper - all so they could wear blue shorts and look like they're the home team.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The graphic design people at NRL.com are doing a pretty solid job!!

If the NRL ever take the broadcast of games in-house, id be pretty confident the displays will be a major step up from 9 and even Fox.

flippikat

Bench
It would be awesome to see every team wear retro jerseys. Surely retro round jersey sales would go through the roof?

The NRL seriously need to get the jerseys sorted for this - every year, nominate a decade & have the clubs come up with a throwback (or "faux-back" in some cases) for that decade.

For instance if this weekend was 1960s, Bulldogs v Tigers would be easy - a 1960s Bulldogs vs 1960 Balmain or Wests design.. but Titans v Warriors might be one of the local club's old jerseys for the Titans vs an old Auckland rep jersey design.

The Storm would be tough, but it's easy enough to just take the club colours and do something in keeping with the era, for example butcher stripes in Storm colours for the 1930s or 40s.

sempmrh

Juniors
Ideally I would like a situation where heritage or retro jerseys aren't necessary because the home jerseys for each club would basically be heritage jerseys or heavily inspired by a traditional look.

kdalymc

Bench
I thought retro round was a Fox thing, not a NRL thing. Cos ya know, we did officially have heritage round...

beave

Coach
I thought retro round was a Fox thing, not a NRL thing. Cos ya know, we did officially have heritage round...

Yeah, remember they used a fake leather brown synthetic ball.

Fox have been doing the retro round pushing for the last few years. I saw an ad yesterday for something on nrl.com and I think the governing body are reluctantly joining in a little with the retro theme (something to do with newy v manly on their website, interview with the 1997 players). I dont know why they dont embrace it, is only good for be game imo.

Saint Doc

Coach
Penrith really should go back to that mascot logo. It shits all over their current one.

62A722C6-55DE-4806-B3C8-3DCBE55C1062.jpg

Of the above logos...

Should revert to the above “old” logo
Roosters
Raiders
Bulldogs
Panthers

Should stick with current “modern” logo:
Knights
Manly
Sharks
Warriors

Shit old AND new logo, needs new design altogether
Broncos
Cowboys

Unchanged
Dragons
Titans
Tigers
Storm (essentially)
Souths
Eels (essentially reverted to very similar)

kdalymc

Bench
Yeah, remember they used a fake leather brown synthetic ball.

Fox have been doing the retro round pushing for the last few years. I saw an ad yesterday for something on nrl.com and I think the governing body are reluctantly joining in a little with the retro theme (something to do with newy v manly on their website, interview with the 1997 players). I dont know why they dont embrace it, is only good for be game imo.
That was only in 2008 for the centenary, but yes since, they have still officially had heritage round but it got watered down more and more and teams just started wearing their jerseys 5 times a year,..
So is this officially dead now and just a ‘retro’ round instead? Which like I said, is just a FOX thing isn’t it?

kdalymc

Bench
should Warriors be using their 'bent tooth' version?
It’s a tongue. The first tekoteko featured a straight tongue however Warriors CEO at the time, Ian Robson, and Marketing Manager ,Liz Dawson, decided that a curved tongue looked more striking. Unbeknown to both the curved tongue was actually a sign of femininity and showed a lack of courage, but unsure why it took ten years to figure out...

Wow, a bit more research reveals this..
Appointed in 1993 by a board that included Sir Roger Douglas, Robson soon marked himself out for his marketing flair and media nous, but as might be expected of an Aussie import, he had no regard for the sensibilities of the tangata whenua.
And it wasn't as if Maori did not warn him. They even protested outside major sponsor Dominion Breweries, complaining that the Warriors tekoteko logo as altered by Robson, was all wrong. Its curved tongue represented femininity, dare we say physical weakness.
Legend has it that when Robson refused to straighten the tongue, the protesters invoked the ancient gods and placed a curse on the Warriors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts