What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

thorson1987

Coach
I don't see any necessity for on-field warm-ups. All venues should have a mandated protected warm-up area (i.e. fans can't just wander into it) adjacent to the main stadium, like the Dragons appear to at WIN. I think I've seen it for Canberra as well, and it used to happen when Parra played at Pirtek too.

At Campbelltown they used to warm up at the athletics track. Problem was they had to walk where the fans can walk to get there.

Frailty

First Grade
I like the old days of 3 grades of football on, but they are well and truly over.

As for the gap beforehand, most major sports leagues around the world do not have any form of lower grade game beforehand. In addition to this, a lot of them will have warm ups on the field, court, and ice.

What they do though is make it affordable to attend, are trying to drive pressure down on food and beverage prices, make it easy for season ticketholders to sell their seats if they aren't attending, and ramp up the game day experience in numerous ways.

The league needs to look at ways that make the game a more enjoyable and affordable experience than watching it on TV. What is really being offered as a benefit to those that attend? This is what needs to be looked at.

thorson1987

Coach
It's for teams like Parramatta who weirdly warmed up for 30 mins in 40 degree heat at Brooky earlier this year

Haha I remember that.

Places like ANZ and Suncorp though have big enough warm up areas near the sheds so have no need to warm up on the field. If kickers want to go out and have a few warm up kicks fair enough but everything else can be done down there.

seanoff

Juniors
The hated here AFL have banned the on ground warmups to allow for the rare curtain raiser and spectator engagement activities. Watching blokes pass and wrestle for 30 mins is hardly entertaining. There needs to be something else. It needs to be like 20/20 half time before the game. Give people/kids etc something to get them to turn up more than 5 mins before kick off.

Pommy

Coach
I like the old days of 3 grades of football on, but they are well and truly over.

As for the gap beforehand, most major sports leagues around the world do not have any form of lower grade game beforehand. In addition to this, a lot of them will have warm ups on the field, court, and ice.

What they do though is make it affordable to attend, are trying to drive pressure down on food and beverage prices, make it easy for season ticketholders to sell their seats if they aren't attending, and ramp up the game day experience in numerous ways.

The league needs to look at ways that make the game a more enjoyable and affordable experience than watching it on TV. What is really being offered as a benefit to those that attend? This is what needs to be looked at.

Affordable experience? It already is affordable, it’s a total myth that it isn’t.
What major sports are you comparing it to?

Frailty

First Grade
Affordable experience? It already is affordable, it’s a total myth that it isn’t.
What major sports are you comparing it to?

I'm comparing to NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL in the US and Canada.

I'm glad you offer no evidence that it is an affordable experience. A general admission ticket for an adult ranges for $25-$30. If you want a reserved seat that jumps up. That's not horrific, but its a bit high on the flat $25 general admission of the AFL.

Now, let's look at the cost of concessions and food. Only an idiot would claim that it isn't overpriced for extremely low quality food. This is a complete opposite of MSG in NYC, Air Canada Centre in Toronto, Rogers Arena in Vancouver, and the SAP Arena in San Jose - where there a broad range of food and beverage options, that are competitive with each other. On top of that, there a numerous game days where food is heavily discounted. The funny thing is the US still view their concession as being too expensive.

We could go onto Parking/Travel, Merchandise, etc. but I think the point has been made.

Pommy

Coach

I'm glad you offer no evidence that it is an affordable experience. A general admission ticket for an adult ranges for $25-$30. If you want a reserved seat that jumps up. That's not horrific, but its a bit high on the flat $25 general admission of the AFL.

Now, let's look at the cost of concessions and food. Only an idiot would claim that it isn't overpriced for extremely low quality food. This is a complete opposite of MSG in NYC, Air Canada Centre in Toronto, Rogers Arena in Vancouver, and the SAP Arena in San Jose - where there a broad range of food and beverage options, that are competitive with each other. On top of that, there a numerous game days where food is heavily discounted. The funny thing is the US still view their concession as being too expensive.

We could go onto Parking/Travel, Merchandise, etc. but I think the point has been made.

Is American food cheap to Americans or cheap to you as an Australian spending Australian wages? Genuine question as that makes a huge difference and I have never been to a sporting event in the states.
An EPL ticket will be minimum £30 for a total bog standard seat in a pretty meaningless game. That will jump up to a minimum of around £50 if it’s a local derby or against a big side. Many sides will be closer to the £50 as a standard.
The minimum wage for someone 25 and over is £7.83 to give a little context. I’m not sure what minimum wage is here but my guess is it’s between $12 and $15.
The food is over priced and has less choice than here in Aus. Beer is equally over priced and you can’t even take it to your seat so you end up having to smash it down as fast as you can in the concourse.

beave

Coach

I’d argue American prices are adffordable. I married a yank, and spend a fair bit of time over there for work and try to go to as many sporting events as possible.

NFL- expensive as f**k for a game ticket everywhere I have been (LA, Dallas, Charlotte, D.C.,Tampa Bay). Redskins and Cowboys game tickets are f**king ridiculous. Food and piss is the same price as the footy here if not more (beers range from $9 US- $12US. Parking is ridiculous (paid $35US for pre-paid parking in Tampa, $50 for street parking in the hood in LA).

NHL- been to Washington D.C., Anaheim and Staples Centre-can get decent prices for seats in the upper decks but anything low and you are paying a fortune. Food and piss at Anaheim were insane, ($11-$14US for a beer from memory)

NBA- Staples centre and Charlotte, cheap $$ for shit seats, food and piss was the same as the hockey (expensive)

MLB- Been to Dodger stadium, Anaheim, San Fran, Atlanta, San Diego, Kansas City. Tickets are real cheap up high and in certain areas, anywhere near home plate is obviously $$$$. food is on par with Oz footy prices everywhere I have been.

When you take into consideration the fact yanks generally earn less than Aussies, I’d argue that their sports are cheaper or more affordable than ours to attend from my own experience.

I paid $250US a seat for these at xmas in Tampa. 4 rows from the front, right on halfway, regular season game. These would normally go for $350-$450 depending on the opposition. I didn’t mind paying $1k Oz for the 3 tickets as they have been my team for 20 years and was my first Bucs home game. I wouldn’t pay that again but you only get 1 first time.

E0C3C20F-D58A-465E-BF34-52D44163CAAB_zpsye2gyna6.jpg

Atlanta Falcons and the teams you mention mate are more outliers than the norm.

Last edited:
Meant to piss down rain in Sydney this weekend.

Hard to complain really after an incredibly dry winter and still hardly setting the world in fire crowd wise.

I’d argue American prices are adffordable. I married a yank, and spend a fair bit of time over there for work and try to go to as many sporting events as possible.

NFL- expensive as f**k for a game ticket everywhere I have been (LA, Dallas, Charlotte, D.C.,Tampa Bay). Redskins and Cowboys game tickets are f**king ridiculous. Food and piss is the same price as the footy here if not more (beers range from $9 US- $12US. Parking is ridiculous (paid $35US for pre-paid parking in Tampa, $50 for street parking in the hood in LA).

NHL- been to Washington D.C., Anaheim and Staples Centre-can get decent prices for seats in the upper decks but anything low and you are paying a fortune. Food and piss at Anaheim were insane, ($11-$14US for a beer from memory)

NBA- Staples centre and Charlotte, cheap $$ for shit seats, food and piss was the same as the hockey (expensive)

MLB- Been to Dodger stadium, Anaheim, San Fran, Atlanta, San Diego, Kansas City. Tickets are real cheap up high and in certain areas, anywhere near home plate is obviously $$$$. food is on par with Oz footy prices everywhere I have been.

When you take into consideration the fact yanks generally earn less than Aussies, I’d argue that their sports are cheaper or more affordable than ours to attend from my own experience.

I paid $250US a seat for these at xmas in Tampa. 4 rows from the front, right on halfway, regular season game. These would normally go for $350-$450 depending on the opposition. I didn’t mind paying $1k Oz for the 3 tickets as they have been my team for 20 years and was my first Bucs home game. I wouldn’t pay that again but you only get 1 first time.

E0C3C20F-D58A-465E-BF34-52D44163CAAB_zpsye2gyna6.jpg

Atlanta Falcons and the teams you mention mate are more outliers than the norm.

Definitely not cheap in NY. Have been to a few events at MSG and Barclays lately, and have been lucky to walk away with a burger/hot dog and drink for less than $20 US