What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

taipan

Referee
The test will be in 2019, having an effect on Sydney NRL crowds, when the Parra stadium.is in full operation mode.
My opinion ,having an all seater 21st Century stadium at their Eel's home base will crap on ANZ crowds from a great height, regardless of where the team is on the ladder.
And more so if teams like the Tigers play a few there,and indeed Canterbury once ANZ is being reconfigured.
ATM crowds for NRL neutrals are more selective,stadium,seating,weather,on TV FTA live .JHave not outlaid till they hit the gate.
.Diehard season ticket holders ,or membership people will generally go regardless of weather,as they have committed financially.
This is why IMO Eels/Wanderers usage of the new stadium, will be a major factor in encouraging neutrals,whilst stadiums like ANZ and even a tired old SFS don't.

And I point out also, the merged ventures in Sydney have done little to boost Sydney crowds.chopping another 4 teams or amalgamating is a recipe for whiteanting further your fan base.

TheFrog

Coach
And I point out also, the merged ventures in Sydney have done little to boost Sydney crowds.chopping another 4 teams or amalgamating is a recipe for whiteanting further your fan base.
It's not the fan base that is a problem. There is enough fan base for this sport to be comfortably No 2 in Australia-NZ behind AFL and it wouldn't be by much when you count NZ. It is people getting out and attending games, especially in Sydney, that is the problem. Event type games are fine, but run of the mill games, it is easier to watch them on TV and you see more as well.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Round 25 predictions
Souths v Tigers @ ANZ - 16,000
Warriors v Raiders @ Mt Smart - 22,000
Storm v Panthers @ AAMI - 23,000
Knights v Dragons @ MJS - 25,500
Titans v Cowboys @ Cbus - 26,800
Eels v Roosters @ ANZ - 12,000
Bulldogs v Sharks @ ANZ - 13,000
Broncos v Manly @ Suncorp - 40,000

We can reasonably expect at least 160-170k for the final round (average 22k) which should provide a handy end-of-season boost to crowd numbers. Should also dwarf the final rounds of the last few years - 143k last year and 151k in 2016.

Evil_Mush

Juniors
Round 25 predictions

Warriors v Raiders @ Mt Smart - 22,000.

Isn't Mt Smart capacity 25k?

It is definitely gonna be a sellout as they've just put on a promo today for "pay what you want" tickets in celebration of Mannerings 300 (and I guess our return to finals too).

Evil_Mush

Juniors
what does that mean? is it literally what you want? $1 tickets?

Apparently from $5. I already got mine on the weekend and didn't know about this promo till earlier today when my mate got four tickets in the stands (normally about 30 each) for the same price as my "cheap" GA south stand seat... oh well still glad to be going!!!

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Souths v Tigers on Thursday and Eels v Roosters are the only two games that could be disappointing this weekend.

Dogs v Sharks could surprise. The Dogs team have really had a go this year so I hope their large fan base responds.

taipan

Referee
It's not the fan base that is a problem. There is enough fan base for this sport to be comfortably No 2 in Australia-NZ behind AFL and it wouldn't be by much when you count NZ. It is people getting out and attending games, especially in Sydney, that is the problem. Event type games are fine, but run of the mill games, it is easier to watch them on TV and you see more as well.

I agree, but I do believe even for NRL diehards who say say, it's too cold ,I'd rather stay home and make love whatever, a decent all seater rectangular stadium with cover and decent reasonably priced food, more would roll up on a regular basis.The neutrals then would be the cream at the top. And 16,000 plus Sydney crowds the norm.Maybe I'm a dreamer and it is hardly likely to happen when Brookvale, is what it is.

AFL stadiums are all repeat all, up to date with decent facilities and all seaters,That in itself plus their brainwashed lifetime ,makes going almost a civic necessity.

For example ScoMo gets elected by his party,gives the NRL club the Sharks a plug,and a legion of AFL tragics then go on twitter"he'd better get himself an AFL team to support, else there'll be hell to pay."

Imagine NRL fans,publicly telling Bill Shorten to get an NRL club if he wins?

What I don't; know is what the effect of Sydney housing prices and mortgages to cover themes having on Sydney's family budgets.Especially Sydney's West.
The Swans have a more double income,professional ,society page type, local fan base, where $ is not a major issue to attend.Plus a stadium with all the comforts.

taipan

Referee
A brand new stadium will have anything but reasonably priced food.
In fact it will be an even bigger rip off.

But the coffee queues will be short and sweet.And we know the importance of that area.

I'd pay a bit extra for a 4 and 20 or Garlos pie, if I knew mates could come along on a wet day and enjoy the game in comfort.

Remember the Cat 1 cyclone at Shark Park.No way Jose I was going .An all cover with protection,differnet kettle;e of fish.

The choice is the status quo stadia or being dragged in the 21st Century.How many didn't turn up on Sunday arvo against the Knights ,because the weather freezed the nuts off a Hornet fighter jet.

carcharias

Immortal
But the coffee queues will be short and sweet.And we know the importance of that area.

I'd pay a bit extra for a 4 and 20 or Garlos pie, if I knew mates could come along on a wet day and enjoy the game in comfort.

Remember the Cat 1 cyclone at Shark Park.No way Jose I was going .An all cover with protection,differnet kettle;e of fish.

The choice is the status quo stadia or being dragged in the 21st Century.How many didn't turn up on Sunday arvo against the Knights ,because the weather freezed the nuts off a Hornet fighter jet.

I wouldn’t go to parramatta on a loverly day.

TheFrog

Coach
I agree, but I do believe even for NRL diehards who say say, it's too cold ,I'd rather stay home and make love whatever, a decent all seater rectangular stadium with cover and decent reasonably priced food, more would roll up on a regular basis.
They'll get a surge, and then it'll settle down after two or three years. There wasn't all that much wrong with the one it replaces, except it couldn't hold enough crowd after being reconfigured.