What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
yep there was only one calling him slomax a certain newcomer
Yes and thank goodness that newcomer has been put on the ignore register by a few of us on here....as far as the young Lomax is concerned hes not long back from injury, hes had very limited opportunities in 1st grade and imo you could tell by his performance at the cauldron in Brisbane with a very one sided supporter crowd he belongs on the big stage..hes not 20 yet just wait until hes had some more experience and works with a speed coach....whilst not wanting to.put pressure on the kid he has a big future....and he will handle Sat night when the crowd balance is a little more even

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons rookie Zac Lomax prepared for Greg Inglis in NRL finals clash
AFL
r0_85_3829_2178_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Prepared for anything: Dragons youngster Zac Lomax is ready for any role Paul McGregor throws his way on Saturday. Picture: Adam McLean.

When Zac Lomax fractured his wrist in a boxing training accident in May, he feared his chances of playing finals football in 2018 were over.

Now having worked his way back to fitness and toiled away in the NSW Cup until his opportunity came, the 18-year-old is preparing to line up opposite his idol after playing the best game of his fledgling career a week ago.

The change in circumstances comes as a surprise to Lomax, but it’s an opportunity he’s relishing.

“To be honest I didn’t [think I’d be in this position], but I hoped that it would come,” Lomax said. “I guess you’ve just got to go back to training, work hard and do what you get told to do at training and just be around the boys and just be as positive as you can at training.”

The opportunity to return to the first-grade side only came after Euan Aitken injured his hamstring in the round 24 loss to the Bulldogs.

Aitken is expected to return this week and, with coach Paul McGregor keeping has cards close to his chest, Lomax is faced with the challenging task of not knowing what his role will be on Saturday night, if he is used at all.

But one thing Lomax does know is that childhood idol Greg Inglis will be ready and waiting for him.

“It just all comes down to preparation, you just stick to the same routine and just know what you have got to do, who you are coming up against and your role for the team.

“I am still unsure whether I will play, that is entirely up to Mary. If Euan plays, he showed what he can do against GI earlier in the season but I can do the job if I do get the nod.”

Where many 18-year-olds would be overawed playing in an NRL final at a packed Suncorp Stadium, Lomax looked at home on the Dragons right edge.

That came as no surprise to his St Geoge Illawarra teammates.

While there has been plenty of hype surrounding the Illawarra junior, his fellow Dragons see the work he puts in at training and they have no doubts he has the talent to become a future star.

“Everyone’s seen it now,” fullback Matt Dufty said. “He’s got talent and skill, he’s going to have a long future in the game. He’s proved he can play NRL in the last couple of weeks he’s played.”

The uncertainty surrounding Aitken has a flow-on to the remainder of the backline, with Nene Macdonald unsure who his right-edge partner will be.

After shifting from the left wing to the right, Macdonald has partnered with both players in recent weeks. The two have very different styles of play but Macdonald is confident whoever McGregor picks will thrive.

“They’re two completely different styles of players,” Macdonald said.

“Euan loves to run the ball at full speed and hit the line hard. Zac’s got good footwork, he’s tough to stop near the line and can get outside you or inside you. They’re two different styles, but two good players.

“Whoever plays has got a big job this week. GI’s in good form and it’s finals time, it’ll be an exciting challenge for us.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...eady-for-inglis-after-suncorp-outing/?cs=2375

getsmarty

Immortal
lomaxz-180513nh01.jpg

DRAGONS

Lomax and Sergis in doubt for varying reasons
Author
Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 12 Sep 2018, 06:01 PM

Jess Sergis is set to be cleared to play for St George Illawarra in Saturday’s Holden NRL Women’s Premiership match at ANZ Stadium but her partner Zac Lomax is unsure whether he will retain his NRL berth.

Sergis was heavily concussed in last Sunday’s historic women’s match against Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium but has passed the first part of a staged concussion testing process.

Lomax, who has impressed in his three NRL games, is awaiting a decision on whether he or Aitken will play opposite Rabbitohs superstar Greg Inglis in the line-up for the men's semi-final against South Sydney if the more experienced Dragons centre is fit.

"That is entirely up to Mary," Lomax said on Wednesday. "If Euan plays he showed what he can do against GI earlier in the season but I can do the job if I do get the nod."

Lomax has already played against Inglis after being given his first taste of NRL action in the 75th minute of the round 10 clash at ANZ Stadium, won 24-10 by Souths.

Inglis had been Lomax’s idol while playing junior for Temora Dragons and Thirroul Butchers but he received an unwanted welcome to first grade when the Queensland captain forced his way over for a 78th-minute try.

sergis-lomax_20180912.jpg

"It was just right at the end, there was a bit of an overlap down the edge and what I clearly remember is trying to push GI over in the corner but he ended up getting the try," Lomax said.

"He is big and powerful and I guess watching footy he is someone I looked up to, especially because I play centre and fullback so he is someone to base your game on."

Dragons coach Paul McGregor had intended for the 18-year-old to get a further taste of NRL during the Origin period but he broke his wrist sparring with teammate Steven Marsters during a boxing session at training.

After being sidelined for eight weeks, Lomax didn’t get another opportunity until Aitken tore his hamstring against Canterbury two weeks ago and he started in St George Illawarra’s round-25 defeat of Newcastle and last Sunday’s 48-18 elimination final triumph against Brisbane.

"I was thankful to be given the opportunity to go up to Suncorp and play in front of a big crowd. It was a good feeling and one I won’t forget," Lomax said. "I still don’t know whether I will play or not, but the team is going to take a lot of confidence into this weekend’s game."

With Sergis also playing in the centres for the Dragons, Lomax has been able to pass on some tips to her as she is better known for her try scoring feats on the wing for NSW and Cronulla-Caringbah Sharks.

Lomax and Sergis are believed to be the first couple to play for NRL men’s and women’s teams and he was in the unique position of being able to watch his girlfriend play before taking the field in last Sunday’s elimination final at Suncorp Stadium.

Sergis and Robinson collide

Unfortunately, Sergis was knocked out in a head clash with Broncos winger Julia Robinson and taken from the field but Lomax could visit her in the dressing room and he said she was set to play against the Warriors on Saturday.

"Jess is all good at the moment, she is at home resting up, she has got a big game coming up this week and she is looking forward to that," Lomax said.

"She is just 100 miles an hour, she just flew in and got her foot caught wrong and ended up having a head clash. It was a pretty good collision. She was knocked out cold before she hit the ground."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/09/12...-jessica-sergis-in-doubt-for-varying-reasons/

Frank Facer

First Grade
We probably won the minor premiership with Lomax in there? Rookie of the year? Cmon mate, a bit premature. He's played 2 games now. He looked good on the weekend but they all did. Lafai had a better game than Lomax. I think calling Lomax the messiah is crazy. All it will take is a few bad games and everyone on here will be calling him slowmax and looking to move him to the backrow.
I could say, that it is a bit premature for you to say that it is a bit premature. I seriously believe that if Lomax had got to play first grade from the beginning of the season, then he would have been up there with Radley and Isaako for rookie of the year. I also believe that our backline would have been a lot better in attack and in defence. I also believe that we would have won 2 more games than we did, if Lomax was in the team and if we did so, then we would have won the minor premiership. I even believe that if Lomax was centre from game 1, Nightingale would have scored a few more tries than he did this year. Lomax is being touted by many, including myself as one of the best young outside backs in the comp. Aitken has continued to handicap out attack. We looked a completely different team in attack and defence with Lomax there.

Anyway, I think I should get back to you in a year's time, when Lomax has had a full season under his belt, like I wanted him to this year and then we can both decide if I was a bit premature or even off the mark.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I think one has to start in 3 NRL games to lose their rookie of the year status for the next year. Can anyone please clarify this? If Lomax starts this week, it will be his 3rd time starting.

Just imagine being 18, playing in your 3rd NRL game, in a semi final, in front of over 55 000 fans and being up against Greg Inglis who is undoubtedly one of the best players to ever play the game. This could be a case of the King vs the Prince.

Drag Queen

Bench
Dragons rookie Zac Lomax prepared for Greg Inglis in NRL finals clash
AFL
r0_85_3829_2178_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Prepared for anything: Dragons youngster Zac Lomax is ready for any role Paul McGregor throws his way on Saturday. Picture: Adam McLean.

When Zac Lomax fractured his wrist in a boxing training accident in May, he feared his chances of playing finals football in 2018 were over.

Now having worked his way back to fitness and toiled away in the NSW Cup until his opportunity came, the 18-year-old is preparing to line up opposite his idol after playing the best game of his fledgling career a week ago.

The change in circumstances comes as a surprise to Lomax, but it’s an opportunity he’s relishing.

“To be honest I didn’t [think I’d be in this position], but I hoped that it would come,” Lomax said. “I guess you’ve just got to go back to training, work hard and do what you get told to do at training and just be around the boys and just be as positive as you can at training.”

The opportunity to return to the first-grade side only came after Euan Aitken injured his hamstring in the round 24 loss to the Bulldogs.

Aitken is expected to return this week and, with coach Paul McGregor keeping has cards close to his chest, Lomax is faced with the challenging task of not knowing what his role will be on Saturday night, if he is used at all.

But one thing Lomax does know is that childhood idol Greg Inglis will be ready and waiting for him.

“It just all comes down to preparation, you just stick to the same routine and just know what you have got to do, who you are coming up against and your role for the team.

“I am still unsure whether I will play, that is entirely up to Mary. If Euan plays, he showed what he can do against GI earlier in the season but I can do the job if I do get the nod.”

Where many 18-year-olds would be overawed playing in an NRL final at a packed Suncorp Stadium, Lomax looked at home on the Dragons right edge.

That came as no surprise to his St Geoge Illawarra teammates.

While there has been plenty of hype surrounding the Illawarra junior, his fellow Dragons see the work he puts in at training and they have no doubts he has the talent to become a future star.

“Everyone’s seen it now,” fullback Matt Dufty said. “He’s got talent and skill, he’s going to have a long future in the game. He’s proved he can play NRL in the last couple of weeks he’s played.”

The uncertainty surrounding Aitken has a flow-on to the remainder of the backline, with Nene Macdonald unsure who his right-edge partner will be.

After shifting from the left wing to the right, Macdonald has partnered with both players in recent weeks. The two have very different styles of play but Macdonald is confident whoever McGregor picks will thrive.

“They’re two completely different styles of players,” Macdonald said.

“Euan loves to run the ball at full speed and hit the line hard. Zac’s got good footwork, he’s tough to stop near the line and can get outside you or inside you. They’re two different styles, but two good players.

“Whoever plays has got a big job this week. GI’s in good form and it’s finals time, it’ll be an exciting challenge for us.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...eady-for-inglis-after-suncorp-outing/?cs=2375

Drag Queen

Bench
It'll be a tough call. Tbh I've not seen much of Lomax but I like what I've seen so far. His offloads and kicking game would put him ahead of Aitken in my humble opinion. I should add that I'm a novice but without Widdop we need someone who can score points between the posts. I'm guessing Lomax would serve us better in the finals.

Crush

Coach
I could say, that it is a bit premature for you to say that it is a bit premature. I seriously believe that if Lomax had got to play first grade from the beginning of the season, then he would have been up there with Radley and Isaako for rookie of the year. I also believe that our backline would have been a lot better in attack and in defence. I also believe that we would have won 2 more games than we did, if Lomax was in the team and if we did so, then we would have won the minor premiership. I even believe that if Lomax was centre from game 1, Nightingale would have scored a few more tries than he did this year. Lomax is being touted by many, including myself as one of the best young outside backs in the comp. Aitken has continued to handicap out attack. We looked a completely different team in attack and defence with Lomax there.

Anyway, I think I should get back to you in a year's time, when Lomax has had a full season under his belt, like I wanted him to this year and then we can both decide if I was a bit premature or even off the mark.
So I say it is a bit premature then you say "I should get back to you in a years time"
Glad that you agree with me then.
Cheers.

JDHD

Juniors
It'll be a tough call. Tbh I've not seen much of Lomax but I like what I've seen so far. His offloads and kicking game would put him ahead of Aitken in my humble opinion. I should add that I'm a novice but without Widdop we need someone who can score points between the posts. I'm guessing Lomax would serve us better in the finals.

Zac is also much stronger defensively than Aitken

Now I’m not saying Aitken has had a good year, arguably he hasn’t.
But Aitken has strength and toughness, he can tackle, but his reads in defence have become a liability, this can be coached out of him, he can improve.
His passing game can defiinatly improve.

Now with Lomax you have silky footwork and passing, although he is not extremely quick, he’s quick enough to exploit his own footwork.

Now it’s a big early call, but with good coaching these two could become a Gasnier/ Cooper combination.

Life's Good

Coach
Zac is also much stronger defensively than Aitken

In fairness to Aitken he does have the strength to manhandle players. Where he lets himself down is the decision making - rushing in or up which creates a gap. Lomax, in his limited game time shows more composure in that situation. I'm keen on Lomax as our long term centre and hope this week is another chapter in that story.

willzy91

Juniors
Word around town is that Lomax will make way for aitken which will be the dumbest decision! Seriously dumb! Unfortunately Aitken is a 1 out of 3 game player, whereas Lomax is exaclty what we need as a center and goalkicker right now. Lafai is an aferage kicker which will ultimately cost us 6-8 points if we can score some tries.

Knowing Mary’s dumb selections he will also pick Nightingale on the bench as well come game day.

Word around town is that Lomax will make way for aitken which will be the dumbest decision! Seriously dumb! Unfortunately Aitken is a 1 out of 3 game player, whereas Lomax is exaclty what we need as a center and goalkicker right now. Lafai is an aferage kicker which will ultimately cost us 6-8 points if we can score some tries.

Knowing Mary’s dumb selections he will also pick Nightingale on the bench as well come game day.
Way to kill the upbeat mood around here.
But yeah, Mary’s due for a shocker.

Latest posts